Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 16:36

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Eating Meat Raw?

There are a few of us that eat VLC or ZC but how many eat the meat/protien/fat raw? Just thinking about it lately, can't get past the yuck factor but I wanted to hear from others on this subject.

Who eats raw meat? Why?

Emagine how fast dinner would be if you didn't have to cook it
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 17:14

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

I prefer mine medium rare, not bloody rare. If anyone responds yes to this, would love to hear the health benefits
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 17:24
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

I'm curious too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 17:34

Plan: IF+Keto+Carb Nite
Stats: 239.2/231.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm making homemade burger patties for supper and have been nibbling on the ground beef. It's something I've always done. I can't see myself eating a meal of raw meat but I do do this.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 18:26

BF:

I remember nibbling on the raw ground burger when Mom made patties when I was a kid but I don't think I've done it since. I do prefer all my meats a touch under cooked but not raw.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 19:36

BF:

#7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 21:26

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I have always preferred my beef rare - run twice over a candle, as I have been fond of saying LOL - but actually raw is even better in many instances. I was also a nibbler of the raw ground beef while making tacos or hamburgers. I've had steak tartar a few times, and very much enjoyed it. In Germany, where I lived for several years, they often eat - or ate; it has been a few years - raw pork, ground up, with onions (trichinosis is rare to non-existent there, I am told), and it is quite good. No idea about the health benefits, if any, but I know I like the taste. Without knowing the provenance of my beef nowadays I prefer to cook it at least a little bit. This may be why I adore tuna sushi - it is very meaty.
On a side note - am I the only one who watched "Rosemary's Baby", saw the liver eating bit, and couldn't quite understand the "eeeeew" coming from the rest of the cinema? I thought it was an interesting idea, and worth trying sometime LOL. Again, not knowing where the liver comes from has been a limiting factor.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: raw fatty meat
Stats: 166/151.2/155 Male 180
BF:
Progress: 135%

Raw meat is the best option, I only eat raw beef and lamb, sometimes fish.
I love 2 pounds of Ireland beef raw.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-19-14, 21:58
Registered Member

Plan: Strict Induction
Stats: 200/195/180 Male 6 ft 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 25%

I don't touch raw meat. Just don't like raw stuff in general lol.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 07:44

BF:

We raise or hunt/fish for all of our meats now so I do know where our meats come from. We do all the processing of those meats ourselves also. I have a bag of chicken livers and hearts I stuck in the freezer, I'm tempted to get them out and slowly work my way into it. The yuck factor kinda is stopping me this morning though
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 07:49

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

I eat my beef and lamb blue. so it is raw. But with the outside seared to get rid of the grubby mitts of the meat handlers before me :-).

Given a choice I would be quite happy to eat it completely raw. But, I can not raise my own meat, and beef and lamb only make up a small (ok tiny) portion of my yearly meat consumption.

I would not eat raw chicken or pork, simply because it is battery farmed fed on rubbish and are prone to carry a lot of transferable micro-organisms.

When I get fresh fish, I like to prepare it in lemon juice or vinegar so I don't have to go through the cooking process, but again this is a rare treat for me :-).
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 07:52

BF:

Jaywood, you don't cook your fish? I was always told to fully cook fish because of worms, some of them are quite nasty. We have never seen worms in the catfish that we catch, I was told to look at the meat around the spine when we fillet the fish and we would see them if they were infested. Haven't seen any yet.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 08:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've heard freezing the liver first is good. Makes it less slimy.

I don't feel any need to eat my meat raw. I think that cooking was a something we evolved to do for a reason, like killing off parasites before we eat them and making food easier to digest.

However, I eat a wide variety of foods, so I've got lots of nutrients coming in, not just muscle meat.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 08:41

BF:

Ok, I took the first step, I just ate 2 raw eggs with a little butter. Now I know a lot of people eat raw eggs no issue, but the closest I have ever come to it is sunny side up I disslike runny egg whites. I put 2 eggs in a mug, added a little butter, shake of salt and pepper (I am sooo glad we raise our own eggs). Verdict? Gross as hell but half way through I was getting used to the slimy feel and it wasn't that bad. Its just getting over the yuck factor.

From what I read, we kill a lot of good vit and such when we cook our meats. I know cooking eggs actualy changes their cell structor and takes out a lot of the good stuff. Chemistry class in college

I didn't thaw out those livers so a bit too late for todays lunch, not sure if I can stomach 2 raw meals today I bet those hearts would thaw out faster though.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-20-14, 08:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always put raw eggs in smoothies. Add some coconut milk, sweetener, a few ice cubes, cocoa, or berries. Pretty decent way to eat raw eggs.