Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-17, 09:58
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Thanks for sharing the video link and bumping this page back up! Lots of useful info for sure!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-17, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJ_8EP65Mc

When Dr. Westman says "the body is adjusting" during a weight loss stall. But readily admits he doesnt know what is actually going on. I wonder if that type of information will ever be known.

Most things regarding humans are non-linear. Said another way, human change is dynamic. The change in the Input is *NOT* proportional to the change in the Output ! Not surprising this happens in weight loss as well.

I wonder if fat loss is more linear than weight loss ? It would have to be, but I wonder to what degree.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-18, 06:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A new post on an old topic from Virta Health:

How to break a weight loss plateau on a low carb diet

By Brittanie Volk, PhD, RD and Marlia Braun, PhD, RD, April 6, 2018

https://blog.virtahealth.com/break-...ateau-low-carb/
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 04:44

Plan: 2017/Dukan
Stats: 139/126/118 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 62%

These are great tips and reminders! When I was new to low carb, I did everything meticulously by the book. But over the years I have become complacent by over-customizing and adjusting to the point that the diet no longer works as well.

The stall breaker that has always worked for me is a few days of meat and eggs.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 19:47

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
Ya, weird huh? Here's the quick story behind that. First I noticed that when I eliminated dairy I gained weight... Some time later, I was spending a lot of time out of the office and I noticed my weight was fluctuating up and down much greater than it normally does. I started to look into what I ate when I was in the office and/or ate more of when I went off of dairy. The most obvious thing was my morning breakfast in the cafeteria. I was getting eggs and bacon or sausage. The bacon or sausage was the most obvious culprit but then I notice that the cook was pouring the eggs out of a carton. I asked "What's in there?" He said, "Eggs." I asked "Eggs and what else?" He looked at the label and said, "Eggs and..... citric acid. That's it." Well I felt relieved because there were no hidden carbs in my eggs. A couple of weeks later I circled back on that idea and looked up citric acid and ketosis in the Google and found a link to Lyle McDonald where he states that SOME people find that citric acid inhibits ketosis. Wait, What? Srsly? So I asked my cook if he could make me fresh eggs instead of eggs out of the carton. He said sure and for the next 12-14 weeks or so my appetite declined, my sticks turned more purple and I lost 0.8 lbs per week. Eventually it leveled out again but it was an interesting sequence. At least to me it was.

Perhaps it's not such a quick story.

Interesting effect of the citric acid.

My wt loss has stalled a bit.... and I have increased lemon crystal lite from none to 4 servings. Might try 0 again and see which way the scale moves.

thanks for sharing.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Oh great, now I have to worry about checking for citric acid on labels now too?! It's already bad enough.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 00:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

lol, only if you stall........