Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-14, 05:09

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarb4avr
Good to know we read labels. But labels fail to tell us that it is 31+-1 or 31+- 89?

Huh??
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-14, 19:00

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Huh??

What he was saying was there's no indication on how accurate the numbers on food labels are, or in more technical terms what the variance is.

The 89 was a bit of an exaggeration since, as far as I know, a food having -58 grams of sugar is impossible.
Although, just to head off any arguments about that, I suppose you could say that was glucose the body uses to digest it.
So less confused yet?

Anyway, the point was basically 'nutrition labels aren't 100% accurate.'
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 04:55

BF:

Makes me happy I live outside the USA where most of our nutrition labels list "per 100g/ml", so any rounding down is less likely to hide the true value than those pesky "per (teeny tiny) serving" numbers you are stuck with in the USA.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 07:17

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Makes me happy I live outside the USA where most of our nutrition labels list "per 100g/ml", so any rounding down is less likely to hide the true value than those pesky "per (teeny tiny) serving" numbers you are stuck with in the USA.

I think when you figure the serving size in a bag of potato chips (potato crisps) in the US the serving size is probably about 2 chips (crisps)

How many servings in a 12 oz can of cola? The can says two - how many split one can?

And just why can't the US break down and join the rest of the world with metric. It would be a transition but in the end things would be so much easier than having to live with two systems.

Ooops, that's off topic - sorry.

Supposedly the US is changing the "Nutrition Facts" label to show a more realistic serving size. But I'm sure there are going to be some benefits to Big Food that they aren't telling us about.

Bob
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 07:45

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I put HWC in my coffee and tea. I did soy shakes with HWC in it when I started LC in 2000, but I missed chewing the food and found other ways to eat LC.

Never did fruit smoothies, but when I was fat, I drank a lot of orange juice, believing the propaganda that it was good for me. When I found out about the sugar spike, I quit that 'cold turkey'.

I don't do soy, corn, canola, cottonseed, dairy and a few other foods unless they are certified non GMO. I figure there is a good reason why 65 countries have banned them. So even if I wanted to go back to a soy shake, it'd have to be certified non GMO or organic.

I think for most people a few liquid protein shakes every now and then wouldn't be bad, I don't think a tbsp of HWC in coffee is negative, and if you keep a food log and it's effects on your weight you should find out if it stalls you or not. (all thinks in moderation)

I talked to an acquaintance last night that I hadn't seen in many months. He is elderly, and a body builder. He told me that he was drinking two or more whey "muscle shakes" a day and they tore up his kidneys, he was one step from dialysis (according to his doctor).

So I googled, went to pubmed.gov and found out that for people with reduced kidney function, too much protein is not good or you (all things in moderation again). I read that if you plan to go on a high protein diet, you should have your kidney function tested.

Well, most of us are normal, and follow a higher fat, moderate protein and low carb diet, so I think the warning would only apply to a few of us. But that also makes me think that perhaps even for normal kidney people, it might be best to chew your protein so it goes through your system more gradually.

Bob

This belongs to another thread regarding food science.
Basically, in order to make shake taste not like water, but like something else ie. Shakes, they have to put chemicals in the drinks.
There had been some shake up in asia countries regarding what kind of chemicals they put in manufactured food/drinks...
Yes, the chemicals hurt liver and kidney and might also cause cancers...
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 08:18

BF:

Quote:

While I agree there's no reason at all for the USA to not use the metric system, I hardly see how per 100 ml on a bottle of OJ is different than how it shows up on American ones. On a bottle of OJ the serving size is usually 8 fluid ounces, which is about 240 ml.

How many people do you know who drink a travel shampoo bottle size serving of orange juice? I'm guessing much less than would drink an 8 ounce serving.
So, like I said, I really don't see how the two are different other than being different units of measurement. You have to measure how much you're consuming and figure out how much is in it either way.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 15:39

BF:

I was thinking more of food like mayonnaise where often the US-style label seems to read "zero" carbs for one serving.

As each serving might contain anything between 0 and 0.49 carbs and still be listed as 0 carbs it allows unwary would-be low carbers to assume that even if they eat several servings it can be thought of as a "free food" when counting their carbs for the day.

Our UK-style labels give the carbs for 100 mls (6.75 Tablespoons) so it is easy to work out the actual carbs per tablespoon and not be misled.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-14, 20:07

BF:

I see.
I guess it makes sense that I didn't think of that one. I have a near phobic disgust for mayonnaise.

And, yeah, it's a good point that it does depend on the food. It's like how there's supposedly 0 trans-fat margarine when the truth is that it does have trans-fats, they're just allowed to round down if it's below a certain amount.

For that reason I don't pay much attention to the numbers on the nutrition labels, more the ingredients because it gives a more accurate picture of what's in it. It might say 0g trans-fat on the label, but if the ingredients say "hydrogenated oil" you know it has trans-fats. Similarly it might say 0g carbohydrate, but if you see "dextrose" you know there is some sugar in it.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 10:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
For that reason I don't pay much attention to the numbers on the nutrition labels, more the ingredients because it gives a more accurate picture of what's in it. It might say 0g trans-fat on the label, but if the ingredients say "hydrogenated oil" you know it has trans-fats. Similarly it might say 0g carbohydrate, but if you see "dextrose" you know there is some sugar in it.

So true!
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 15:41
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
I was thinking more of food like mayonnaise where often the US-style label seems to read "zero" carbs for one serving.

As each serving might contain anything between 0 and 0.49 carbs and still be listed as 0 carbs it allows unwary would-be low carbers to assume that even if they eat several servings it can be thought of as a "free food" when counting their carbs for the day.

Our UK-style labels give the carbs for 100 mls (6.75 Tablespoons) so it is easy to work out the actual carbs per tablespoon and not be misled.

I agree Elizellen, I would love to see the nutrition facts label say something like 1 gram of carbs = 3 T, telling me it has "zero" or <1 is not helpful at all! I'd love to go to metric or 100g (3.5 oz) nutrition labels because 1 serving size is ridiculous esp like Bob mentioned above, you wanna share 1/2 a can of coke with someone? Seriously???

I personally feel that they label the serving sizes here in the US that way so that it's around 100 kcals or less per serving, check it out next time you read a label...most people don't really read serving sizes, they go straight to the calories info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 15:59

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I read the "Nutrition Facts", Ingredients, and often consult this site
http://nutritiondata.self.com/ - you can change the 'serving size' on most foods - plus you get glycemic load, nutrent balance, protein quality, and a lot more than the labels can give you.

Put the food in the search box click search, and you're on your way.

Bob
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 16:40
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I read the "Nutrition Facts", Ingredients, and often consult this site
http://nutritiondata.self.com/ - you can change the 'serving size' on most foods - plus you get glycemic load, nutrent balance, protein quality, and a lot more than the labels can give you.

Put the food in the search box click search, and you're on your way.

Bob

I love that site, it's one of my favorites, also the USDA's website is a good one too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 17:16

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
I see.
I guess it makes sense that I didn't think of that one. I have a near phobic disgust for mayonnaise.

Ah, mayo. One of the many reasons I WISH I could look and feel good on a high-carb, low fat diet. Understanding I can eat that nasty slime without guilt isn't the best news I ever received. God it sucks when you really hate fatty foods, and know you have to somehow eat them...
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 20:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Ah, mayo. One of the many reasons I WISH I could look and feel good on a high-carb, low fat diet. Understanding I can eat that nasty slime without guilt isn't the best news I ever received. God it sucks when you really hate fatty foods, and know you have to somehow eat them...

Yeah it took me a while to get used to eating more fat.

I don't like the more fatty cuts of meat. I can't even stand dark meat chicken. I really tried to because thighs and legs are cheaper than breast meat, but they're just awful.
I also still drain my ground beef because I don't like too much grease in my bolognaise sauce.
And, unlike other Primal/Paleo people, I never understood the appeal of eating coconut oil with a spoon. The taste is fine, but the texture...blech!

My advice would be eat the fat sources you do like and don't force anything else. Coffee with half-and-half really cuts my appetite, and mini low carb cheese cakes make good fat bombs when the main meal doesn't have enough.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-14, 05:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
God it sucks when you really hate fatty foods, and know you have to somehow eat them...

Can you stomach butter on meat and veggies? I often put a pat of homemade herb butter on top of them to up my fats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...e&v=FT9lPBBfLlY

Or make a quick and easy cheese sauce to pour over vegetables.
Quote:
Rich Cheese Sauce
1 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated cheese (any cheese will do - I like a sharp cheddar or parmesan for a strong flavour)
1/2 tsp yellow mustard (can be omitted if you like a milder sauce)

In a small pan on LOW heat, place cream cheese and cream. Stir frequently until cream cheese melts and blends in with cream.
Add grated cheddar cheese and stir until cheese melts thoroughly.
Add mustard and stir again.
If needed, add a bit more cream
If there is any left over you can refrigerate it and it will turn into a yummy creamy cheese to spread or melt over stuff.