Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 15:49

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Dr Furman (on Dr. Oz)

Dr Furman was just on Dr. Oz the other day and he said that diets that encourage animal products are creting women who are 400% more likely to get cancer (breast cancer for one).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

He recommends his G-BOMB diet which consists of : Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 21:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I suspect he pulled that number out of his hat.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 21:41

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I suspect he pulled that number out of his hat.

Probably but wondered if anyone has any concerns about it, of course he thinks he's right and the doctors who promote low carb think they're right so it gets confusing!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 21:43

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Possibly they lose so much weight there are risks associated with the extra hormones and toxins released from their fat cells. I can see where his recommended diet would be safer from that.

Or he's got a "don't kill the poor animals you awful humans!" agenda that he cannot see past. Either are possible.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 05:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

What's creating more breast cancer in women is sun avoidance, constant use of sun screen, and lack of vitamin D3, NOT animal products.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 06:53

BF:

Well, all the tumor feeding sugars in a "healthy balanced" diet isn't helping either. I mean, we all get cancer cells. Nobody reading this has probably avoided that. Your body will more often than not fight it off naturally, as it is designed to do. Problem is we are destroying that ability with a horrible diet, things like the sun avoidance/sunscreen, an a host of other bad ideas. Chemotherapy being a GREAT way to kill the natural defense mechanism.

I sound flippant because I have to laugh or cry. I tend to get a little verbose on the subject after watching a close friend die at 36 last year, all while slowly being poisoned and encouraged to eat what I could only call a cancer feeding diet for the five years it dragged on. It's sick and its sad and its so freakin' UNNECESSARY. And now there are three more children without a mother.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

I couldn't agree more KDH....it's what I thought earlier this morning when I read this but was unable to put the thought into words.

It scares me more and more to read what we have done to ourselves...low fat/no fat, low calorie, high carb, grains and more and more refined crap that doesn't belong in our bodies.

I think, and this is just my opinion, we would be so much better off skipping anything that isn't natural and going back to what our ancestors ate and lived on for a LONG time, before modern man stepped in and screwed it (along with us) up! Then you add big government, big agriculture, big pharma and the like....

My heart aches for those 3 little ones without a mother and so many more we don't know.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 07:31

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Women have been eating meat since they arrived on the planet without the epidemic of cancers we've seen since the 1950s. It's what is in the meat now: the unnatural grains, the growth hormones, the preservatives, anything and everything to make meat production cheaper and profits higher. Add to that all the other non-meat processed junk.

It takes a lot of effort to go back to eating as simply and naturally as our ancestors, and even then it's not always possible depending upon how much you can afford to spend on the healthier food and how available it is in your neighborhood. But I try. And the longer I've been trying the easier it has become. I've ferreted out the most economic food sources where I live, e.g. the A&P sells Kerrygold cheese and butter and wild-caught fish for $1-2 less than ShopRite. The farmer's market sells free-range chickens and eggs cheaper than any of the stores. That sort of thing.

I do envy those of you who raise your own food. I live in a high-rise apartment in Metropolis so a few bell peppers on the kitchen windowsill is about my limit.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 07:36

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I agree too.

the other part besides eating unnatural food, is expecting to get 'the truth on what to eat" from commercial edutainers, or from docs (they can't know either). Or from docs promoting a program that they got from their own practice but that has not been tested outside of that specially selected group. No more for me of that sort of thing
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 11:05

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Good lord, the man really has no scruples!

He out to be ashamed of himself throwing out such an outlandish number, especially since he wields the title "doctor."

There have been some studies suggesting that high levels of red meat in the diet might increase risk for breast cancer, but not by 400% and the findings are far from conclusive.
As far as I know the same findings have not, however, been made for poultry or fish.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-14, 12:01

BF:

There are also studies that show glucose feeds tumor cells, while ketones kill them. Wonder what Dr. Furman has to say about that, as it doesn't fit his save Bambi agenda?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-14, 16:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You know, I really DON'T know which theories are true. But for me, I know that if I stick with a carb laden diet I WILL die of obesity related illness. That's no theory, I know it FOR. SURE. If this diet is the only way I can lose weight (and I'm truly convinced it is) then whether or not I'd be better off being a vegetarian is all academic.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-14, 18:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
He recommends his G-BOMB diet which consists of : Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds

Okay, but where am I going to get my protein? I was a vegetarian once but I had to give it up because I got sick from lack of protein.

Sounds suspiciously VEGAN and those people, I've decided, are insane on the subject.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-14, 18:49

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

1) I wouldn't believe anything that is promoted on Dr Oz or any other TV show. TV is about promoting products, it's an advertising media disguised as an entertainment and information media. Everything on there, from the dramas to the comedies to the news to the informational shows - absolutely everything on TV is an advertisement - either overt or covert but an ad.

I'd suspect Dr. Furman is working for Big Agriculture and is being paid by them.

2) What do they do when they want to find out where the cancer is in your body? They put a tracer into sugar and see where the sugar goes - it goes straight for the tumor - Hmmm that's interesting -- to me it says sugar feeds cancer

3) We eat a lot of unhealthy food, even when we try to eat right. Round-up Ready GMO foods (corn, soy, canola, cottonseed and others) and meat fed with these crops. They are banned in over 65 countries because it has been proven they cause cancer and the Monsanto/FDA tests were rigged and flawed. They cannot be duplicated with safe results, but the European studies that prove they are cancerous can be repeated with the same results.

4) Insulin has been implicated in causing cancer. A little is good, a lot is not.

So for me

1) No sugar, and only a small amount of low-glycemic starches.

2) Only grass fed, organic beef - only wild caught fish - mostly haddock and cod because of their low mercury content

3) Only non-GMO foods - I avoid the big 4 unless they are organic or certified non-GMO (corn, soy, canola, cottonseed) and google other foods to avoid (like yellow squash).

4) Only rBGH dairy - European and Canadian cheese is safe, supposedly Publix and even WalMart milk is safe (but not the cheese) or other certified non rBGH cheeses

But that's what I chose to believe from what I read - we never really know with all the conflicting infomercials out there.

Bob
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-14, 11:21

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

400% relative to what? To what number out of what number?

I can't trust people who can't give me the absolute risk.

If one out of a thousand people contract Disease Syndrome Disorder, and 2 out of a thousand people who wear purple on Thursdays contract Disease Syndrome Disorder, that means purple DOUBLES your chances of contracting Disease Syndrome Disorder! So what?