Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-14, 18:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/198/185 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:
Default High Cholesterol (treated with statins) and Atkins

Hello! Newbie to the forum and just had a quick question/concern.

Before I post the questions, I do ask that you don't guess what the answer is. I can do that. Please only reply if you have valid answers that are true.

I'd rather have 2 solid replies than 30 random guesses. ; )

So, here goes, I have high cholesterol but it is now normal because I take a statin. Am I okay to start up the Atkins diet even though the some of the items are very high in cholesterol (eggs, red meat, cheese, etc.)?

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-14, 19:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I won't give you any answer, but feel free to start reading about diet and cholesterol in all the links in my signature.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 04:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A good summary of the misinformation about cholesterol in the diet, with current scientific studies supporting each statement in 71 linked footnotes:

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-9...nd-cholesterol/

If you want to learn even more about statins and cholesterol, just read back in this sub-forum, or the book, Cholesterol Clarityby Jimmy Moore and Dr. Eric Westman.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 04:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBee

Before I post the questions, I do ask that you don't guess what the answer is. I can do that. Please only reply if you have valid answers that are true.

So, here goes, I have high cholesterol but it is now normal because I take a statin. Am I okay to start up the Atkins diet even though the some of the items are very high in cholesterol (eggs, red meat, cheese, etc.)?

Thanks,

Chris

I am so anti statins and the total and utter rubbish regarding cholesterol. This guy sums it up for me

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/

Jo xxx
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 12:56

BF:
Progress:

Thanks......I think?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 13:15
Experimenter

BF:

You're just going to have to figure it out for yourself. If you're the sort who wants the assurance of a doctor, then ask a doctor, not strangers on the Internet.

If you want to read research and hear what people here think about the typical doctor advice, then ask for opinions here.

I don't know what the heck you think we can do for you. A solid reply based on what? Many of us have researched this topic a lot more than your doctor has and with far less input from vested interests, like drug company salespeople.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 13:21

BF:
Progress:

Just looking for people in a similar situation then myself and their examples, that's all.

I know many have high cholesterol that is treated with statins. I'm sure many have done the Atkins and could report on it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 14:15

BF:

I had my cholesterol checked once, about 10 years ago - after I'd been on Atkins for a about a year and it was very low - in fact my doctor phoned me to tell me he was concerned as low cholesterol may be a marker for cancer.

I've since read sooooooo much about cholesterol and heart disease. And my conclusion is that cholesterol in food has nothing to do with cholesterol in the blood and cholesterol in the blood has nothing to do with heart disease - I couldnt find ANY proof (trials or studies) of otherwise!!!?! Statins have many detrimental side effects and do not prevent heart disease

Jo xxx
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 14:19

BF:
Progress:

But what if the high cholesterol is genetic and not what you eat? How is it to be controlled without statins and the like?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 14:22

BF:

Quote:
But what if the high cholesterol is genetic and not what you eat? How is it to be controlled without statins and the like?

But so what?? Blue eyes are genetic??? Do some research, find proof that high cholesterol causes heart disease and then post it here cos I couldnt find anything - I certainly havent ever seen anything that says that statins prevent heart problems at all - oh apart from studies written by their makers. Failing that, talk properly to your doctor. Many are now starting to see thru the whole heart/fat hypothesis as nonsense

Jo xxx
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 14:25

BF:

...... we/I should put a disclaimer in cos altho I am medically trained, I'm not in a position to advise you. That needs to be done by your doctor who knows you

Jo xxxx
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-14, 16:14
Experimenter

BF:

Do you have familial hypercholesterolemia?
Lots here from Dr. Kendrick
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-14, 04:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The only way to know you have FH is by a genetic test. "High" levels of total or LDL cholesterol, even in the range of 300-400, do not indicate FH. ”Elevated levels of cholesterol in the blood do not constitute a disease in and of itself” (Cholesterol Clarity). Cholesterol must invade the artery wall to do damage. Statin drugs are not inevitable even if you have been diagnosed with FH by genetic test, there are nutritional adjustments in addition to a low carb diet that can be used.

Since cholesterol in food does not impact cholesterol in the blood (Myth #2 in link in my first post) and consuming saturated fat has nothing to do with heart disease (see the very latest meta-analysis that yet again has proved this in the research section http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=458979), you will find few Low carbers treating their "high cholesterol" with statins. As a man, statins may have some benefit if you already have heart disease, and that is likely through anti-inflammatory properties, not cholesterol lowering. Even the new AHA guidelines moved away from treating "a number".

If any of the lipid results have merit, it is the Trig/HDL ratio and the best way to improve that is to eat a diet with no sugar, no starch, no processed seed oils, and to add saturated fats and exercise......aka, the Atkins diet.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Mar-22-14 at 05:14.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-14, 09:45

Plan: limited carb (100 gm/day)
Stats: 203/172.5/175 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default My Guess

Quote:

Thanks,

Chris

My guess is that (if you are being sincere) you went to the doctor and (As most doctor, they defer to a treatment protocol) and you had blood work done. When it came back, one of 3 things happened

1) he put you on that statin and now you are feeling the side effects and wanna get the heck off of it.

2) He put you on the statin, and soon there after you read about the side effects of it (on the internet) and wanna get the heck off of it.

3) you are just confused and seeking guidance in general.

I kinda like Nancy LC's answer:
You're just going to have to figure it out for yourself. If you're the sort who wants the assurance of a doctor, then ask a doctor, not strangers on the Internet.

If you want to read research and hear what people here think about the typical doctor advice, then ask for opinions here.

I don't know what the heck you think we can do for you. A solid reply based on what? Many of us have researched this topic a lot more than your doctor has and with far less input from vested interests, like drug company salespeople.

That said, I will share my story for what it is worth.. Disclaimer, I am not a doctor although I play one on the internet from time to time. Also I am not advocating ANYTHING. I am only providing my story.

So here goes, having been fit for most of life, over the last 5 or so years I began to spend more time eating pastas and desserts and less time exercising and enjoying life. I went to the doctor 3 and a half months ago and took a physical with blood work. My Cholesterol was 262. My doctor (Following the standard treatment protocol) recommended a 5mg statin. Being the rational skeptic that I am, I started research. I found this forum, read like hell and then embarked on a modified low carb plan. My Goals were 2 fold, primarily to lose weight to feel good again and have more energy and to also lower my cholesterol.. (And, well I'd say a 3rd reason was to look good for my wife). Aside from cholesterol I am low risk for heart issues as my blood pressure is very good, and have limited family history of heart issues. I embarked on a modified low carb diet. I eliminated virtually all refined sugar products (drinks, desserts et al). I limited my complex carbs to about 100 grams a day and it consisted of high fiber beans, flax seed, and oatmeal. With the reduction in calories, I had to make up for them elsewhere by increasing my fats, which I did through increased consumption of Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Avocados, and Almonds. I also changed my meat eating habits to leaner cuts and also more fatty fish (but I continued eating virtually every meat available to include red meat, homemade sopressata, pork etc) . Did I CHEAT!.. Heck yes, once a weak I would eat a thin crust pizza (using 4 oz doughball) and I would have a couple drinks on occasion.

My results where a drop in my cholesterol number to 200 (down from 262). I would assume, that if I maintain these eating habits I will gradually fall a bit further (the Guidelines I was given was Total Cholesterol of >199, so I am a tick away, which is good enough for government work if you ask me).

So, I would have never thought it possible.. I am doing 3-4 shots of olive oil a day to maintain a calorie level, am eating boat loads of avocados and almonds and my cholesterol went down 23%..

That's my story and I am sticking 2 it!

Last edited by rgrandy : Mon, Mar-24-14 at 10:05.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-14, 13:02

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 260/218/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:

I'm not even entirely sure what you're asking here...

1) Are you asking in a general sense if your cholesterol will go up if you start Atkins?

If this is your question, I don't know the answer. My lipid panel improved on Atkins. My husband's did not (by conventional standards)--his ratios were perfect, but his total cholesterol shot through the roof (he is normal weight with no health issues).

2) Are you asking if it's medically "safe" to start Atkins?

If this is your question, I don't know the answer (are you seeing a pattern here? *lol*). I can't imagine a reason why it wouldn't be safe, but then again I am not a physician--I'm just a (reasonably) well-educated person on an internet message board.

Or are you asking something entirely different? FWIW, everyone's experiences are YMMV, so there's not one person who can give you the "truth"--they can only give you what's true for them.