Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-14, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Low-carb/Low-calorie
Stats: 315/158/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default Peanuts!

Found out I just can't do them anymore. The ones in the can I can pass on, but the ones in the shell I just can't seem to give up. I bought a big bag for everyone else a few weeks ago, and I seem to be the only one eating them. I tossed the rest of the bag out back of my apartment for the squirrels.

Anyone else have a peanut addiction? I also had to buy the peanut butter with sugar so I wouldn't eat it this time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-14, 10:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I'm sure there are many of us that find this true...once I start eating peanuts or cashews I don't want to stop...that includes the butter forms also...I really have to limit myself. Good for you for singling out a trigger food and dealing with it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-14, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/230/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 55%

I'm right there with you on this. Peanut butter is usually more of a problem because they usually have sugar as well. Recently, I found an all natural peanut better at Costco (house brand) that has no added sugar and must be kept in the fridge after opening because it has no preservatives. Surprisingly, I can have a spoonful of that, and walk away.

Goog
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-14, 11:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

nuts and nutbutters are a real challenge for me. i do much better with pumpkin seeds or roasted wasabi edamame for a little crunch.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-14, 12:24

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I have to exercise portion control for nuts of all kinds. If not the entire container will be a single serving

The amount that fits in the palm of my hand is all I'll allow myself to eat.

The good thing is they usually have a good fat to protein ratio, high fiber, and lower carbs. So they fit in my plan very well.

The bad thing is like all fatty foods, they are loaded with calories. Even though I'm low-carb / low-glycemic, calories do count as well.

Most things we call nuts are not nuts at all in the botanical sense. Peanuts are legumes, Almonds, Pecans, and Pistachios are seeds from drupe fruit, Cashew is the seed from an accessory fruit, Brazil nut a seed from a capsule, Walnuts aren't nuts either but drupaceous. The only actual nuts I've eaten are Hazelnuts and Chestnuts. I don't eat chestnuts anymore because of the carbs.

The only peanut butter I eat is organic, no-sugar added. Maranatha and Arrowhead mills - and not the no-stir kind either because they add sugar.

The sugar in the commercial PB brands make me gain weight, crave more, and cause canker sores in my mouth (I've had them since I was a tot). The organic no-sugar brands do none of that.

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-14, 20:57

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Peanuts aren't nuts, they are legumes. Not only do I find them addictive, they make my joints ache, so I avoid them.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-14, 06:03
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 174/157/157 Male 173 cm
BF:13%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujaya
Found out I just can't do them anymore. The ones in the can I can pass on, but the ones in the shell I just can't seem to give up. I bought a big bag for everyone else a few weeks ago, and I seem to be the only one eating them. I tossed the rest of the bag out back of my apartment for the squirrels.

Anyone else have a peanut addiction? I also had to buy the peanut butter with sugar so I wouldn't eat it this time.

how much can you eat at once?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-14, 17:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Peanuts aren't nuts, they are legumes. Not only do I find them addictive, they make my joints ache, so I avoid them.

Walnuts aren't nuts.

Pecans aren't nuts.

Macadamias aren't nuts.

Brazil nuts aren't nuts.

Pistachios aren't nuts.

Cashews aren't nuts.

Almonds aren't nuts either.

None of these are nuts in the botanical sense, but all, including peanuts are nuts in the culinary sense.

If peanuts bother you, don't eat them. But I have to pipe in because so many people harp on "peanuts aren't nuts" while they ignore the fact that perhaps the only true nuts they have ever eaten are Hazelnuts (Filberts) and Chestnuts.

Egg yolks make my joints ache, so I don't eat them. We all have our own personal issues.

Bob
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-14, 19:04

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristiVlad
how much can you eat at once?

I know the question wasn't for me, but my last peanut binge was 700 grams. I once bought a couple pounds of macadamia nuts and ate them on the way out of the store.

I don't trust any kind of seed anymore, I've even binged on flax seeds.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-14, 23:49

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I could buy the GIANT bag of peanuts in the shell at Costco, and plow through it in a weekend. Makes me fat AND makes a mess though, so I have to refrain from buying them. I'm ok saying no in the store. Once they're home, I have no 'off' switch. LOVE those stupid things.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-14, 09:52

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I confess that I must no longer eat "nuts" as well. Cashews, macademias, and pecans are the worst for me. I will usually stop eating around 500 grams, that's when my jaw starts to ache from chewing them.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-14, 10:08

BF:

I find it helps to buy peanuts in the shell, and during autumn, other nuts can be purchased in shell. Shelling slows down the consumption, and that lets me control the portion more.

Still I have to be strong and pre-portion how much I'm going to eat. I take out the portion and put the rest away before I start eating. And when I'm done, I have to be strong not to have another portion.

Another food I have to be careful with is cheese.

There are two great flavors, sugar and fat/oil. Since I gave up sugar, "the flavor is in the fat".

And even before that. what did I like most about Popcorn? An entire stick of butter soaking the kernels. Potatoes were about butter or bacon grease. Toast about the butter. Starches have pretty much no taste which is why we either load them with fat or sugar to consume them.

So nuts are very high quality food for my WOE. High fat to protein ratio, some fiber, moderately low or low glycemic and they taste good. The ketogenic diet is a high fat, moderate protein and low glycemic diet.

The problem is like most high fat foods, they have a lot of calories. So whether it's a culinary nut, dairy product, or animal flesh, I have to be careful about portion control. And I admit, after 14 years of low-glycemic eating, portion control is still a challenge. It's fun to eat stuff that tastes good!

And that includes the subject of this thread. Peanuts!

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??
Progress: 32%

Bumping this because I have realized I can't eat peanuts when trying to lose weight. I had not had peanuts for weeks, so I bought a jar of unsalted ones. I will be throwing the rest of them out or I will give them to a family member. I have no self-control around them. I'm not going to try other nuts. Likely the same thing would happen.

That said, I seem to be able to limit my eating of peanut butter. I get the kind made from peanuts only. Still, I should probably stay away from that too because of the calories.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 17:59
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I felt like I gained just reading this thread
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 18:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ROFL

Definitely eating peanuts with care is a must.

And that includes all nuts, and nutbutters. One spoonful leads to another. Better to NOT eat by the handful or the spoonful. Far better to include as an ingredient in a meal or recipe.