Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-14, 20:56

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
I firmly believe that genetics determine how long you live regardless of diet. I also believe that if one does well eating a particular way, go for it. Just like religion, there is No One Way when it comes to eating.

Genetics, yes, yes, and yes. I am pretty sure I didnt draw a good hand in that department...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 06:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Lots of vegans do pretty well for decades too.

Vegetarians can do fine. (I am not one of them... I bailed out because of weight and health problems after nine months.) But vegans don't, not really.

Remember, must be several years ago now, the scandal of a dozen or more prominent vegan bloggers, some of them cookbook writers, who confessed they had to go back to eating meat for their health? They were so vilified they got death threats and many took down their sites entirely. But they also said they got letters of support from fellow vegans... and gentle astonishment that "of course we eat meat occasionally" and "of course we don't talk about it"!

This led me into the dark underbelly of veganism, where the prominent who supposedly have been eating this way for decades are all secret omnivores and how it is more of a religion than a Way of Eating. Thus, "belief" is far more important than results.

And those who do believe start suffering after a year or so as the nutrient deficits start to tell. Denise Minger almost lost her teeth on her raw food/vegan regimen. That was her wake-up call.

So this leads me to my own thoughts, which is that we have many VLC folks on the board, and some famous ones, and they seem to do far better than the vegans.

Which indicates where the nutrients likely are.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 07:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

The issue with vegetarians, especially vegans IMO, is that its more of a political statement than a health one. Therefore, its not a matter of whether its healthy or not - after all, veggies alone are not what humans were designed to eat - this is just my observation from friends who are veggies.

That said, I do get annoyed sometimes when so many restaurants, bars, supermarkets etc make allowances, preparations and cater so much for vegetarians, but leave us low carbers to find our own way!!!

Jo xxx
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 07:31
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb (30-40 g/day)
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fantastic post, Werebear. Lacto-ovo vegetarianism works for some, but I don't think veganism is healthy or sustainable for anyone long term. I was vegan from 2001-2002 (the one-year mark you mentioned) and know that it negatively impacted my health. I remember being hungry and getting progressively weaker and more irritable. Eggs saved me, followed by fish, and many years later, meat. I can honestly say that I've never felt better since adding meat back into my diet when I went low carb. It's been about three years now, and I don't expect that to change.

And back to the original question about whether we need vegetables, I guess I don't really know the answer but agree that each person should eat whatever way works best for him/her.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 07:39

Not only are the ladies here beautiful, but wise, too.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 09:43

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
after all, veggies alone are not what humans were designed to eat - this is just my observation from friends who are veggies.

Some of my friends are veggies, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
That said, I do get annoyed sometimes when so many restaurants, bars, supermarkets etc make allowances, preparations and cater so much for vegetarians, but leave us low carbers to find our own way!!!

So much is low-fat and high carb! I can get a decent meal in most restaurants, except for salad dressing. Restarant salad dressings will mess up my BG every time, so now if I know I'm going to eat out, I take a container of my own dressing.

Last edited by Bonnie OFS : Sat, Feb-15-14 at 09:43. Reason: typo
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 10:28

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

i've never liked vegetables so when i became an adult, i never ate them again. i'll have a very rare salad (for me that means lettuce with some lc dressing) but otherwise, i live mostly on meat. hamburger and bacon are my staples, with some chicken and other cuts of beef. occasionally i'll have eggs but i think i have a mild sensitivity to them so it's not something i have often. i've never eaten any organ meats and at 52, i'm pretty healthy. i don't take any meds, i sleep great, my blood pressure is good and recent blood work was all good. i would never argue that i'm getting all i need from my diet but for now, i feel great and hopefully that will continue.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 18:38

Awesome job, Zeph.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 20:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I seldom eat vegetables. I've had two different medical conditions (one a gene defect) that different physicians have given me lists of foods to avoid or eat just a little of. The lists contain only the 'healthy' vegetables that we are continually told to eat lots of.

I haven't noticed any problems from lack of vegetable intake. I did a 48 mile bike ride this morning in 37 degree weather and enjoyed it.

I do take some, just-in-case, supplements like vitamin C and folate.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 16:54

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 307/297/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I have found even the low carb veggies can cause my blood sugar go up and cause food cravings. I have been eating them, but the past 2 days did not, and my blood sugar is better and I am off the plateau I was stuck on.

I would like to not eat vegetables or rarely, but am unsure of the health consequences.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 20:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmountai
I have found even the low carb veggies can cause my blood sugar go up and cause food cravings. I have been eating them, but the past 2 days did not, and my blood sugar is better and I am off the plateau I was stuck on.

I would like to not eat vegetables or rarely, but am unsure of the health consequences.

Sounds like you are already sure of the BAD health consequences!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-14, 11:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmountai

As a T2, it's my opinion that the health consequences of high blood sugar are worse than those of not eating vegetables. I do eat some vegetables, because I like them and the ones I do eat don't spike my blood sugar – as long as I don't use a sugary salad dressing or douse my broccoli or cauliflower with too much cheese sauce (just cheese & HWC).

There are days when I'm too busy and end up eating just meat (generally leftovers or hamburger so I'm not having to cook much or at all) and eggs.

If I were to cut out veggies entirely, I'd make sure I ate more organ meats. That's the way the Inuit did it and they were fine – until they ended up eating the SAD. (That is such an appropriate acronym!)
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-14, 09:58
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 194/152/150 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 95%

should I be worried of constipation if I decided to eat meat only? I cannot imagine a diet without vegetables..
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-14, 10:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

It might be an issue, and it might not. I find if I switch from a diet containing veggies to a diet with none, I might get a slowdown in that area--but as long as my total volume of food, protein or fat, doesn't go down too much, eventually things get back on schedule. 2500 calories a day with veggies would probably yield more poop than what I'm eating right now, but I'm not trying to win any contests here.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-14, 10:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Bill2012-

Atkins has plenty of approved veggies..if that is the plan you're following.

At the end of January, I decided to do just meat and eggs as well as cream in my coffee. No veggies here though I do take some supplements, including 500mg magnesium. I have not had any ill effects nor BM issues. Only BM issue was in the first few days...after that, good to go. (TMI I know, sorry)

That has rewarded me with a 13 lb loss in the 5 weeks...I'm good with that and continue today.

I figure after a few years of crappy food and lots of alcohol, going without veggies was definitely the least of all evils.

You do have to figure out what's best for you, though.
Deanna