Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 09:20
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default Excess Sugar May Double Heart Disease Risk, Study Finds

Excess Sugar May Double Heart Disease Risk, Study Finds

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...rchers-say.html

High sugar consumption may double the chance of dying from heart disease, according to a study that adds to evidence that high levels of the sweetener in processed foods and drink is bad for a person’s health.

People whose sugar intake is about a quarter or more of their total daily calories had twice the risk of dying from heart disease than those who whose intake was 7 percent, according to the research today in JAMA Internal Medicine. For those whose intake of added sugar was about 19 percent, their risk of dying from heart disease was about 38 percent higher.

Today’s study is the first to link on a national level the amount of sugar American adults eat to their risk of dying from heart disease after taking into account weight, age, health, exercise and diet, said lead study author Quanhe Yang, an epidemiologist at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Research has already linked sugar consumption to diabetes, weight gain and obesity.

“Too much sugar can make you fat; it can also make you sick, sick from diseases like cardiovascular disease, which is the No. 1 killer in America,” said Laura Schmidt, a school of medicine professor at the University of California at San Francisco, in a telephone interview. “Small amounts of sugar are fine. It’s consuming massive amounts of sugar that’s a growing problem in America.”

The study also found that regular consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages, seven servings or more each week, was linked to an increased risk of dying from heart disease.

600,000 Deaths

Heart disease, which can cause heart attack, chest pain and heart failure, is the leading cause of death worldwide for both men and women and kills more than 600,000 Americans each year, according to the Atlanta-based CDC.

There is no specific national guideline for sugar consumption. The Institute of Medicine recommends sugar be less than 25 percent of total calories, the World Health Organization recommends less than 10 percent, while the American Heart Association suggests limiting sugar to less than 150 calories a day for men and less than 100 calories a day for women, the authors wrote.

‘The majority of us are consuming more added sugar than the recommendations,’’ Yang said in a telephone interview.

About 37 percent of added sugar in U.S. diets comes from sugar-sweetened beverages, while the rest comes from grain-based desserts, fruit drinks, dairy desserts and candy, the authors said. Sugar from fresh fruits and vegetables isn’t considered added sugar.

Better food labels would help people identify their sugar intake, said Schmidt, who wrote an editorial accompanying the study.

Sugar Effects

Scientists don’t have a clear understanding why sugar may raise the risk of dying from heart disease, Yang said. Sugar may increase blood pressure and weight gain, both risk factors for heart disease, or it may raise bad cholesterol and triglycerides and lower good cholesterol. Sugar may also increase insulin resistance, a factor in diabetes, or increase fat accumulation in the liver, he said.

Researchers in the study looked at data from several National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, which provides nationally representative information on U.S. adults.

They found that U.S. adults consumed about 14.9 percent of daily calories from added sugar in 2005-2010, down from 16.8 percent in 1999-2004. For most U.S. adults, added sugar made up 10 percent or more of their daily calories during 2005-2010 and for 10 percent of people, sugar made up 25 percent or more of their daily calories.

Today’s findings support recommendations to limit intake of sugar-added foods and drinks, Yang said.

“We are in the midst of a paradigm shift in research on the health effects of sugar, one fueled by extremely high rates of added sugar overconsumption in the American public,” Schmidt said in an editorial accompanying the study.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 09:29

Plan: Plan? I eat meat :-)
Stats: 185/190/195 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

And all those "heart healthy" whole grains enter the bloodstream as simple sugar.

What could possibly go wrong.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 09:38
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderPug
And all those "heart healthy" whole grains enter the bloodstream as simple sugar.

What could possibly go wrong.

Exactly!
At the very least, fat is not being demonized in this study which is a big leap.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 10:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, at least the message is filtering down to the mainstream now. In another 20 years they might figure out that starches are also converted to sugar.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 12:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember reading about the link between sugar and heart disease some years ago. But unfortunately, I didn't "get" it at the time. Wish I had instead of wasting all these years eating the wrong foods.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 14:44

Plan: limited carb (100 gm/day)
Stats: 203/172.5/175 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default ??

Today’s study is the first to link on a national level the amount of sugar American adults eat to their risk of dying from heart disease after taking into account weight, age, health, exercise and diet, said lead study author Quanhe Yang, an epidemiologist at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Research has already linked sugar consumption to diabetes, weight gain and obesity.

I think the key part of this article is in the snippet i used above. Anyway, back to that study, it notes that it takes into account "weigh, age, health, exercise...". It probably on serves to reason that if you consume about 20% of your daily calories from simple sugars then you are probably drinking to many sugary drinks and eating to much desert. You are probably also subject to the insulin spikes and probably then tend to overeat and you probably don't exercise much or care about your diet and finally, you are probably overweight and has a higher risk of heart issues?. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be stating anything that is ground breaking. (Correct me if i am wrong, but it doesn't mention anything about whole grains and beans) And it specifically mentions "Sugar from fresh fruits and vegetables isn’t considered added sugar" I guess my point on this, is that it would be good to see the raw data especially regarding "Weight, Age, Health, Exercise" and sugar consumption.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 14:57
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrandy

I think the key part of this article is in the snippet i used above. Anyway, back to that study, it notes that it takes into account "weigh, age, health, exercise...". It probably on serves to reason that if you consume about 20% of your daily calories from simple sugars then you are probably drinking to many sugary drinks and eating to much desert. You are probably also subject to the insulin spikes and probably then tend to overeat and you probably don't exercise much or care about your diet and finally, you are probably overweight and has a higher risk of heart issues?. Anyway, it doesn't seem to be stating anything that is ground breaking. (Correct me if i am wrong, but it doesn't mention anything about whole grains and beans) And it specifically mentions "Sugar from fresh fruits and vegetables isn’t considered added sugar" I guess my point on this, is that it would be good to see the raw data especially regarding "Weight, Age, Health, Exercise" and sugar consumption.

OK, here you go:

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/art...ticleid=1819573

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMA
ABSTRACT.

ABSTRACT | METHODS | RESULTS | DISCUSSION | CONCLUSIONS | ARTICLE INFORMATION | REFERENCES

Importance Epidemiologic studies have suggested that higher intake of added sugar is associated with cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors. Few prospective studies have examined the association of added sugar intake with CVD mortality.

Objective To examine time trends of added sugar consumption as percentage of daily calories in the United States and investigate the association of this consumption with CVD mortality.

Design, Setting, and Participants National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES, 1988-1994 [III], 1999-2004, and 2005-2010 [n = 31 147]) for the time trend analysis and NHANES III Linked Mortality cohort (1988-2006 [n = 11 733]), a prospective cohort of a nationally representative sample of US adults for the association study.

Main Outcomes and Measures Cardiovascular disease mortality.

Results Among US adults, the adjusted mean percentage of daily calories from added sugar increased from 15.7% (95% CI, 15.0%-16.4%) in 1988-1994 to 16.8% (16.0%-17.7%; P = .02) in 1999-2004 and decreased to 14.9% (14.2%-15.5%; P < .001) in 2005-2010. Most adults consumed 10% or more of calories from added sugar (71.4%) and approximately 10% consumed 25% or more in 2005-2010. During a median follow-up period of 14.6 years, we documented 831 CVD deaths during 163 039 person-years. Age-, sex-, and race/ethnicity–adjusted hazard ratios (HRs) of CVD mortality across quintiles of the percentage of daily calories consumed from added sugar were 1.00 (reference), 1.09 (95% CI, 1.05-1.13), 1.23 (1.12-1.34), 1.49 (1.24-1.78), and 2.43 (1.63-3.62; P < .001), respectively. After additional adjustment for sociodemographic, behavioral, and clinical characteristics, HRs were 1.00 (reference), 1.07 (1.02-1.12), 1.18 (1.06-1.31), 1.38 (1.11-1.70), and 2.03 (1.26-3.27; P = .004), respectively. Adjusted HRs were 1.30 (95% CI, 1.09-1.55) and 2.75 (1.40-5.42; P = .004), respectively, comparing participants who consumed 10.0% to 24.9% or 25.0% or more calories from added sugar with those who consumed less than 10.0% of calories from added sugar. These findings were largely consistent across age group, sex, race/ethnicity (except among non-Hispanic blacks), educational attainment, physical activity, health eating index, and body mass index.

Conclusions and Relevance Most US adults consume more added sugar than is recommended for a healthy diet. We observed a significant relationship between added sugar consumption and increased risk for CVD mortality.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 15:19

Plan: limited carb (100 gm/day)
Stats: 203/172.5/175 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default thx for posting ..

JudyNYC,
Thx for the post. I went to link and am not able to see anything other than basic abstract that you posted. I noted Age-, sex-, and race/ethnicity–adjusted hazard ratios as well as After additional adjustment for sociodemographic, behavioral, and clinical characteristics,. I will try and see if I can find the the complete study and data. Thanks for that link.

I think, as I noted in my first comment, that It probably on serves to reason that if you consume about 20% of your daily calories from simple sugars then you are probably drinking to many sugary drinks and eating to much desert. You are probably also subject to the insulin spikes and probably then tend to overeat and you probably don't exercise much or care about your diet and finally, you are probably overweight and has a higher risk of heart issues

EDIT - I just amended this with link from DEMI in this forum
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=458052 I guess this came out of the UK. After reading it, it seems that a quote from a UK doctor best sums up my thoughts of this "However, the present study, perhaps more strongly than previous ones, suggests that those whose diet is high in added sugars may also have an increased risk of heart attack. Of course, sugar per se is not harmful - we need it for the body's energy needs - but when consumed in excess it will contribute to weight gain and, in turn, may accelerate heart disease."

Thanks much
Rgrandy

Last edited by rgrandy : Tue, Feb-04-14 at 15:36.