Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-14, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/194/160 Female 58
BF:
Progress: 11%
Unhappy Diets Fail

Even though I am new to this website, I've been doing low carb off and on for years. Every Spring I lose weight for Summer, then by Fall the weight starts to creep back on. This past Spring the weight did not come off, and I am afraid that I will continue to gain even more. My 50th Anniversary and reunion are both this May and I'm afraid that my weight will still be the same as it is now. My husband and I both started low carb together in Dec. He has lost 15 lbs to my 4. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I'm staying away from the bars for now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-14, 21:01

Plan: Dr. Kwasniewski's Ratios
Stats: 198.4/142.2/140 Female 66"
BF:Finally Normal!
Progress: 96%

Did you go through induction? Which version of Atkins are you following?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 05:33

BF:

To Disc Diva

The first week I did the induction and lost 7 lbs. Then I made the mistake of eating the Atkins bars. Right now I am drinking black coffee, because I wonder if the cream is keeping me from losing weight. I drink about 4 to 5 cups of coffee a day with heavy whipping cream.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 08:51

Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

What does the rest of your day look like meal wise? I agree the Atkins bars aren't so good for just starting out. What is your carb limit per day?

Keeping a meal journal even for a few days can help a lot.

Maybe we can help you find out if some items are more carby than you originally thought.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-14, 10:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

So, give us some insight into why you think the weight comes back.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 08:11

BF:

The first week I lost 7 lbs., then 5 or more days went by with 0 weight lose.
By then I'm discouraged and decide to try another diet. I was on Weight Watchers for a couple of years, quit about a year ago. Haven't lost any weight on that either. Right now, I am hardly eating any carbs at all.... eggs, cheese and meat, and I've taken off a couple of lbs. I can't stay on this too long.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 08:40

Stats: 185.8/185.8/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

The cheese may be the problem. That stalls a lot of people. I would recommend substituting with some vegetables.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 08:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

A couple of things tip me off:

The title "Diets Fail". Yes, they do. Mostly because people think of them as temporary measures to be borne until you come to the end. Then diets fail in the second way because you're no longer on the diet.

The people who have long-term success are those who adopt a new, permanent, way-of-eating (WOE). If you can't make that mental shift then you will be doomed to rinsing and repeating.

About the lack of weight loss after the first week. It happens. There's a big loss of water weight, and some fat, the first week. After that it comes in fits and starts.

A stall is defined as 4 or more weeks without weight loss while adhering to the WOE. If that happens then you should look into things like medications, medical conditions, etc, that might be hampering the weight loss.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 16:10

BF:

Someone told me that to lose weight you should eat about 60 carbs a day. That seems like a lot. Does any one have any suggestions as to how many carbs will help you lose weight. Are they all carbs from vegetables and fruit?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 16:29

Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi and welcome to the forum -

Second hand advice, in my opinion, is most likely hazardous.

I would strongly suggest you purchase a copy of Dr. Atkins book. Read and then re-read it again...follow the plan exactly and see your results. It is in the plan that you will see 60 carbs per day is not where you start and that fruit in any way is not on the acceptable food list. Finding the right information is critical and following it is indeed paramount.

We all differ but for maximum success the plan must be done to the letter. There are a lot of folks who would gain at 60 carbs per day and you won't know where that threshold is unless you start from square one.

I personally follow the original plan from his 1972 book. On the main forum page there is a ton of information regarding the plan...at least enough to get you started. The book will help you understand why this program works and give you a more in depth look at how to make this be YOUR way of eating and ultimately, YOUR way of life.

It truly is the best way of life and way of eating.
Deanna
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 16:55

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Agree with Deanna!

Go back reread the book! That is a huge thing!

I follow the original atkins vs and add some things to keep me interested as this is a WOL not a DIET for me.

Post your menu of your daily meals. It could be many things like not getting enough greens etc.

We are all here to help!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 19:55

BF:

Thank you all for your posts. Erinleigh, I like the way you set goals for each month. I did have the Atkins book at one time, but I must have given it away. Tomorrow I will try and find another copy. I am going to a Valentines party on Saturday and there will be food there that is not low carb. Where do you get your will power?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 21:14

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 307/297/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

About willpower, I don't have any, but when I eat low carb I tend to lose my cravings and appetite.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 21:33

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with the advice to read the book, but I'll tell you what works for me. 20 carbs a day - no more. No more than 3 TBS of cream and 2 oz of cheese per day. NO fruit of any kind at any time, and mostly green salad type veggies. I've gone over my carbs with things like peppers and brussels sprouts. I basically eat meat, eggs, salad, and not much else. It works. I've been a diet hopper trying first one thing and then another after a few weeks, and that sure didn't work. You say you cant stick with it for long - and I'll agree that the first couple of weeks are basically white-knuckling it by will power alone - but the great things is that after that, it is suddenly easy. No hunger, no cravings.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 22:11

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyfat1
Thank you all for your posts. Erinleigh, I like the way you set goals for each month. I did have the Atkins book at one time, but I must have given it away. Tomorrow I will try and find another copy. I am going to a Valentines party on Saturday and there will be food there that is not low carb. Where do you get your will power?

When I go to a party I either eat before so I am full and only grab things that are LC friendly or make sure the item I brought is extremely LC friendly.

As for willpower...I want to be healthy more then anything and if I am going to be I need to keep going! What's more important to you? Is a tailspin in the wrong direction worth the HC food...not for me! Prolly not for you!