Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 17:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I knew this would create a lot of comments. I know there is work on trying to understand what a calorie really is.. is it used the same in our body if it is a carb, as a calorie of fat?

One man who is doing several crazy(not scientific but fascinating) experiments in this is Sam Feltham

This is his first experiment.
http://live.smashthefat.com/the-21-...orie-challenge/

Ketosis is another cunundrum.... long term - in or out? That is the question of my day, although I am leaning to long term in at about 50 netgrams a day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-13, 15:43

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

oooh...the one about calories struck a chord with me. I was on a board previous to this where I was constantly being told that if I wasn't losing weight, I needed to eat more, and more and more. It didn't make sense to me then and still doesn't. Sadly, I can't lose an ounce unless I REALLY watch my calories. Fortunately, low carb makes me not very hungry so it is much easier to do so. Back in the old days I could take the same number of calories and do my "6 mini meals with fruits and whole grains, etc" and I'd lose weight at the same rate but couldn't stick with it for more than a few days or weeks.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-13, 17:38

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
[QUOTE=Bob-a-rama]I think the author is about as accurate as the group thinking that she is dissing. Partially right, partially wrong --- and the picture with a stethoscope doesn't add any authority to me, but actually does the opposite without proper letters after her name --- it says "I dress like a doctor so you will believe me."

I think that pic was meant to be humorous. The actual blogger has his pic in the upper right hand corner.

My name is Kris Gunnars. I’m a medical student, personal trainer and someone who has spent years reading books, blogs and research studies on health and nutrition. ...

There is an immense amount of evidence I’ve found that runs completely contradictory to what the governments and dietitians around the world are recommending.

Since I started medical school and became a personal trainer, I’ve learned that the textbooks on nutrition that our future doctors and health authorities read are based on that same faulty or nonexistent evidence.

The fact of the matter is that there is an immense amount of incompetence in the areas of nutrition, weight loss and disease prevention. My goal is to change that and this website is part of my mission.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-13, 21:58
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks for the post, like the others, I find it very beneficial and interesting to read what others have said..

appreciate the information
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-13, 11:23

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I can't find a whole lot to disagree with.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-13, 12:59

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Arlene - that was an excellent post and summary. If we had a sticky thread I would suggest having it copied to there. Perhaps labeled "Low Carb Diets, the Pluses and the Negatives".
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-13, 18:25

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

These kind of postings are all over the web. They cause more myths than myths. People assumes most are ok than everything must be RIGHT. Most are opinion based myth with little facts to support them. Don't even mention the source of the fatc/myth.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-13, 19:07

Plan: Keto
Stats: 241/235.6/199 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Arlene: Thanks for taking the time to post this article and generate some excellent dialogue among some of the site members. As a newbie to low carb it gave me a lot to think about. The overall take away I got from the article and the ensuing discourse on this site is that there isn't just one way to do low carb. We are all unique beings and we have to find what works best for us by closely monitoring how our bodies react to what we put in our mouths. I am taking this low carb journey as a discovery process - through the bumps and successes along the way I will learn the things that are best for my body so that I can adopt this as a way of life.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-13, 00:55

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
[snip]
(2) most modern fruit cultivars have been bred to have far to much sugar in them
[snip]
The apple of today is nothing like the apple of the pre-agricultural age. It was closer to a crab-apple. Years of selective breeding has resulted in cultivars that are hundreds of times sweeter and larger than the ancestors. Same for corn, pears, carrots and so on.

Can we please not fight myths with myths?

"Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? => http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/05/31/wi...-ancient-fruit/

Pretty compelling compilation of information in one place, in my opinion.

Last edited by fetch : Sat, Nov-23-13 at 01:03.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-13, 09:19

Plan: Atkins Indunction (DANDR)
Stats: 205/202/130 Female 5'2 or 62''
BF:42%/???/28%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennBuck
The overall take away I got from the article and the ensuing discourse on this site is that there isn't just one way to do low carb. We are all unique beings and we have to find what works best for us by closely monitoring how our bodies react to what we put in our mouths. I am taking this low carb journey as a discovery process - through the bumps and successes along the way I will learn the things that are best for my body so that I can adopt this as a way of life.

Very well said JennBuck! Exactly what I've learned from this forum too. We are all unique!!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-13, 10:40

Stats: 390/231/200 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch
"Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? => http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/05/31/wi...-ancient-fruit/

Thanks. I've seen this argument about fruit made in almost every LC book I've read. It's always surprising how quickly and deeply these memes become conventional wisdom.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-13, 11:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes! I wondered where I had read that article long time back. I'm glad fetch posted the link. It is definitely a meme, an untrue one. It cracks me up how often these pop up.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-13, 11:50
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch
Can we please not fight myths with myths?

Pretty compelling compilation of information in one place, in my opinion.

Exactly! Thank you, fetch!!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-13, 12:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yeah. I think the most important difference between modern and heritage fruits is whether or not they've been baked into pies.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-13, 12:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

To be fair, though, the myth part is that sugary, unbitter fruit was unavailable to our ancestors. Much of the fruit we eat today is less bitter, more sweet than at least its own ancestors. Although the sweetness often comes from a decrease in bitterness and flavour in general, rather than an increase in sugar.