Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-13, 19:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Perlmutter's Dad has alzheimer's. I guess this that makes this all sort of personal for him.

Something I sort of like about the extremes--both low-carb and vegan/vegetarian flavours of the extreme--is that they're at least different enough to be certain that you're actually changing something. That was a weakness for me with the approach of a more moderate plan like the Zone--pretty soon you're scooping just enough ice cream into your cottage cheese to get your zone blocks (or whatever he called them, it's been a while) just right.

I guess I'm sort of a moderate extremist. I don't think low carb is the only way--but I do believe it would probably work for most people--especially if adopted before they get in trouble in the first place.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 04:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Being on a LC plan limited to 20 g carbs myself, Perlmutter saying you can have tubers and fruit does not seem absolutist to me, rather the height of paleo carb heaven
Same impression from the book; first you read chapter after chapter how any carbs will fry your brain, but then his eating plan at the end of the book included a good quanity of real food carbs and was flexible on carb amounts.
Just pointing out that In the interview Dr. Perlmutter stated he was not advocating animal products, not that I agree with him. I think being a LC vegetarian is difficult, and a LC vegan near impossible to maintain health without many supplements, to say nothing of limited food choices. Maybe he will offer a variety of vegan menus in his next cookbook, but without eggs and dairy, it seems would end up with a high percentage of carbs in the diet.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 04:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Vegans could always go nut or peanut heavy, and get enough protein that way--but then they'd have to wonder whether they should worry about all that omega-6.

I'm seeming some soy protein powders out there now that boast about being low in soy estrogens instead of being high... so I guess that's an improvement.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-13, 19:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I tried vegetarianism for about 9 months. I was driven by humanitarian issues, not health ones. But it was health issues that drove me out of it.

I believe, looking back, that my body just wasn't any good at combining those proteins. I was sick and pale, I gained like 40 pounds, I wanted to sleep all the time, and when I broke, I ate tuna and pepperoni and STEAK.

Hey, if vegetarianism works for you, great. But I had expert advice and hung in there and it just didn't work for me. On low carb, I eat a big slab of meat every day... and if I don't, I go a little crazy until I do.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-13, 14:23

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Chris Kresser has posted his take on Grain Brain. He blogs from the Paleo perspective, so he is sympathetic to LCHF, but still wants to hold on to 'good' carbs.

http://chriskresser.com/do-carbs-kill-your-brain

Glenn in Omaha
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-13, 12:27

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I asked our library to buy a copy - they bought 2! Both are checked out (I'm reading one) and there is a waiting list.

I'm up to chapter 4 (I think) and so far, it makes sense. But then, I'm not at all trained in medicine or science.

Just found out from my farrier that donkeys (and horses) get an equine version of diabetes from overeating grass and hay. I've been feeding my donkeys less hay for several months as they were beginning to have a bit of a crest. The farrier suggested replacing part of the hay with rice bran. That's what had been recommended to him for his elderly horse. I hope I caught it in time!
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-13, 11:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ling-your-brain

Another positive review of 'Grain Brain'.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-13, 12:32

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
This is your brain on grains -- LOL

Most people's grain brains are preceisely the reason they can't understand and/or reject the idea that grains are not healthy after all!
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-13, 10:16
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've just finished the book and thought it was excellent. I highly recommend it. I learned a lot, even though I have already read books by Taubes, Davis, Atkins, Eades, etc. I also thought that I wouldn't like the book because it would be a rip-off of "Wheat Belly," but it's not. I think it's a much better book than "Wheat Belly."
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannone10
The surprising thing is that Dr. Perlmutter does not seem to feel that gluten needs to be eliminated entirely.

On page 242 he writes: "I don't expect you to never eat another slice of crusty pizza or stack of steaming hot pancakes again......" And he goes on to encourage readers to strive for an 80/20 or 90/10 approach to healthy food choices.

This comes near the very end of the book, after it has been repeatedly stressed that people should go strict low carb (30-40 g carb per day), sugar-free, and gluten-free for one month to see its effects on them. And, Dr. Perlmutter first says that some authors/researchers/etc believe that people should strive for staying on a WOE 80% of the time, but he doesn't agree. He feels it should be 100% because it's too easy to back-slide at 80/20. But, then he relents a little by saying that, if you must, you should strive for 90% abidance and let the other 10% take care of itself. But, he says this in a rather lukewarm manner and he's not saying this for people who have obvious gluten sensitivities or who are seeking weight loss. He's saying this with regard to people who are seeking long-term brain health, who don't have other serious gluten issues. So, I didn't take this weak endorsement of 90/10 as a negative about the book. Dr. Perlmutter also stresses that if someone does stray from the diet, it's important to not let it detour them. He says to strive for "progress not perfection," which is something that is stressed a lot on this board.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-13, 08:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreCat50
Chris Kresser has posted his take on Grain Brain. He blogs from the Paleo perspective, so he is sympathetic to LCHF, but still wants to hold on to 'good' carbs.

Such folks tend to be OVERWHELMINGLY male, on the younger side, with no health problems, who lift and run.

Funny, that

I don't have the same outlook, because eating so-called-safe carbs makes my body go "oh, geez, it's CARBS!" and I get endo flareups, tummy upsets, raging hunger, and I gain weight.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-13, 05:15

Default This is Your Brain on Gluten

The Atlantic published a long review of the book, the studies supporting it, and contrary opinions of other doctors, e.g. Dr David Katz.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-gluten/282550/

The PBS winter specials have featured a 90 minute program with Dr. Perlmutter. It is being shown three times on our local affiliate, last time on New Years Day.
I have seen parts of it..very worth taping or buying the program, check your local schedule.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-13, 07:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The Atlantic published a long review of the book, the studies supporting it, and contrary opinions of other doctors, e.g. Dr David Katz.

Oh, yeah, I'll quote him:

Quote:
You promise the moon and stars, you say everything you heard before was wrong, and you blame everything on one thing. You get a scapegoat; it’s classic. Atkins made a fortune with that formula.

There are now millions of people who, every day, are proving Dr. Atkins RIGHT.

Does Dr. Katz mention that? No he does not. Does he even bring up Dr. Bernstein, whose method allows people to control their diabetes better than current medical practice? No he does not.

Ultimately, from Atkins to Lustig to Perlmutter: it's about blood sugar.

For decades my father was told the blood sugar target that was "fine." He dutifully did that, for decades. But they were tragically wrong. That level wasn't fine at all. It was much too high.

Here's Dr. Katz again:

Quote:
So people who are eating more meat and dairy and high-fat, high-cholesterol foods are eating fewer plants—they’re not eating beans; they’re not eating lentils. So yes, I think it’s entirely confabulated and contrived, and potentially dangerous on the level of lethal.

Dr. Katz thinks I'll die if I don't eat beans. Dr. Katz thinks I should be on a statin.

So am I going to listen to this Dr. Katz?

No I am not.

Last edited by WereBear : Sat, Dec-21-13 at 07:13.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-13, 09:17

Quote:
So am I going to listen to this Dr. Katz?
No I am not.

You aren't, I'm not, and if you believe in the wisdom of crowds, a whole lot of people are also not buying Dr. Katz's new book, but ones about a Grain-free lifestyle:
Grain Brain, Wheat Belly, Against all Grain, WB cookbook, It Starts with Food and Practical Paleo are all on the NYT Nov. Dining bestseller list. http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers...ining/list.html
[Sorry Dr. Katz about Disease-proof being a flop]
Actually the one that really amazes is Wheat Belly…it was published two years ago this past August and is still going strong. All word of mouth, success stories.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-13, 08:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I love it when people mention book titles. I always check to see if our library has them, and surprisingly (it's a small town library), it often does. I just put a hold on It Starts With Food - which I had never heard of.
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-13, 09:38

Glad your library has it! I use a large, county-wide library system, where one can also request new books. If they choose not to buy a book, six months after publication the request goes to the "Inter-Library Loan" system, and it is rare I don't get a copy with that fall-back source. Libraries are great for recipe books, as ususally I only try a few from each book..waiting now for Dr. Davis's new Quick and Easy Wheat Belly cookbook.
You may have heard of the Hartwigs before through the "Whole30", http://www.whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/ which is a strict, Paleo elimination diet good for pinpointing food intolerances. You might consider doing their program to see how your blood sugars respond to no-dairy, etc.