Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 08:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Hey everybody.

Yep, when I trust my body, I do much better.

Lab, nice to see ya. Sorry for the health problems of your friends. I didn't know the liver thing was even possible!
So glad they are both doing okay. So glad you and hubby are doing well!

There is heart disease on my father's side but I wonder how much of it is because so many were "bad" eaters. Most were/are overweight and meat, potatoes/bread, fats and sugar were the foods of choice. And LOTS of alcohol. Oh and no exercise of any kind.

Things at home are peaceful. I cannot begin to tell you, all the things I have learned. It's so nice and I am thanking God everyday. Although, I should also say, that I am also asking for the "lessons" to be over.

Off to get some exercise CD's. I loved the jazzercise class I took but just can't stomach 600 a year. 50 a month doesn't sound so bad but the total does. all I can think is that I can save that towards a vacation.

I would rather spend a couple of hundred, save the rest and exercise at home.

Still very smoky and it looks overcast. Makes it look like winter outside. Just can't believe it's the end of August!

Guess what day it is? (tee hee) Enjoy
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 08:32

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Good morning, everyone. Good to see Blue back in the room. And I forgot to say hi to my PNW buddy JanD the other day. Hi Jan!

The reason I cited Peter Attia is because for years we have heard that is was 50 total carbs for ketosis (that is, after we discounted the idea of 50 NET carbs, thanks to Blue's careful reading). But for the first time in my experience, Attia suggests that 30 grams might be a better goal. I have seen limits of 20-50 here and there, but this is the first time I've seen 30 g pinpointed. Based on my personal experience, I think 30 g is a better goal than 50. I stagnate at 50, and seem to lose at 28-32. My two cents, YMMV and all those other disclaimers.

Jan, thanks for telling me which protein powder you're using. It sounds better than the junk I bought. I bought another brand at Trader Joe's and it was equally bad in a different way.

We are finally getting some rain! I went to sleep to the sound of rain and woke up with it, though it did not rain continuously overnight. I probably still have to water my garden - not enough rain to soak in - and am hoping if I do so today it will encourage the clouds to rain some more.

Have a good day everyone.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 08:51
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Liz, I'm thrilled that someone stepped up and mentioned an even lower number. As we age we know everything slows down so why not a lower number? Baylor said she didn't lose above 40g. and she's way younger than I. It makes perfect sense to me that lower is often the case.

I also appreciate reading what others are saying because I don't go to other sites. I have enough to do to keep up with this one.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 08:56
Keto Lab Rat

Plan: Low carb...WB detox...IF
Stats: 240/201.8/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:The Lab Rats :-)
Progress: 42%

Good morning!!

What a wonderful sight to see all you lovely ladies posting away over the last few days.....and great conversations as well!!

Janj, your words of wisdom are a major motivator for me and I can only hope to reap the benefits as I once again fight the battle....more on that in a bit.

Yes indeed Ron's Mom has bought a condo. Her apartment was 850 sq. ft. and this is 1100 sq. ft.....about the same size as her house minus the basement. She says she is hiring a mover and will move the little stuff a bit at a time on her own. It's in a good location, a little closer to downtown, church, and the Senior's Centre is right out her door. She was so concerned about putting the money from the sale of her house in a good account so she could afford a nursing home later.....guess that doesn't matter anymore cause after the purchase of the condo, lawyer and realtor fees, she won't have much if anything left!! If she does need to go to a nursing home later, she'll be forced to take what she can get for the condo. Hope she's happy!!!

Liz I think of all the folks on this thread as my tried and true friends as well.....not just fellow low carbers. As for Mitch, I can't tell you how much I miss his interaction with us. I hope he is still doing well but I've lost touch with him.

Serea you are soooo right about our bodies being beyond fast learners....but I think my old brain box is slower. How did I let myself get to this point!?!? Laziness.....just plain laziness. So you're looking for some "down and dirty" discussions? Wouldn't that be great!?!? I'm all for it!

Jan (TM) I'm so happy that you have found the road back. You are an inspiration.

Bambi, I'm an emotional eater as well. I need to find a better way to deal with frustration than grabbing something carby or a cocktail.

Lab that is so scary about your co-worker and the boss's husband. I too have less and less faith in "great numbers" meaning much of anything! If that were true, their would be no more coronary artery disease. Isn't that great that Jim is so active again? I'm tickled pink for him and for you.

Blue!! It's "Hump Day" with a side of "Done Day"!! Awesome!! You know, I guess I stopped wanting it too. And as for fluffy? I'm stuffed tight!!

But, I do have a plan......
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:05

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Who gave you problems Blue over the 50 total carbs for the ketosis I wonder....that topic came up years ago (long before they changed the forum over to todays style). The reason why I remember it very well is because I was involved with the discussion in a big way. It had been posted in a comment made by the nutritionist there that eating over 50 carbs could take you out of ketosis...since whenever carbs where referred to it was net...that comment went right over a whole lot of our heads, me included....then someone posted something and referred to total carbs....I said no net carbs... well, I was wrong. So there was one long discussion of it and I have been very careful since to make sure that I am clearly saying total carbs in that case. I don't know if I can find that discussion as most of them where lost when they changed over. So if someone gave you trouble...they where wrong. I think that the fact that net carbs are the norm on those forums and that one thing is referred to in total can be very confusing to some.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:12
It's Only Food!

BF:

serea, it was before the change over and what a brouhaha that ensued. All advice was being given in net carbs and I challenged that. Ah, the days of closed minded discussion just warm my little heart.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:18
Keto Lab Rat

Now that's more like it!!

I hit post and there's three more to read!! Love it.

Bambi I'm with you on doing the exercises at home. Lots better things to spend the money on. I don't interact well with others when I'm sweating but kudos to those that can!

Our weather has been good for golfing but only very early in the morning. By noon it's 32 C (80+F) and sooo humid. No rain but very muggy at night. So much so that we can't open the windows or the house is humid too. We are living on A/C daily. It's great for the harvesters though!

Blue, I need to find my total carb point again as I suspect it has changed since my last bout at losing.

Here's my plan for the next few weeks:

1. This week I get rid of everything in the house that is not "Lois friendly". Ron leaves for Cypress Hills on Tuesday morning and if he doesn't eat it or want to take it with him, it's in the garbage can Sunday morning. He'll be fine with that as he knows how much I'm struggling and he's always been very supportive.

2. When I go in for my school bus on Friday, I buy all the good things I need for Induction.

3. Monday I start Induction, tracking and spread sheet, keep my total carbs <50, and stick to it for at least two weeks. My goal for this next week is to lose 5 pounds. I'm starting at <50 total so I have some place to go if I need to lower them to <40 the third week and so on.

So that's the plan for now and I'm gonna need all the support I can get!! That's were you come in..... !!!
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:20

BF:

The incident that I am referring to was in 2008 sometime about two years after I started on the forums so it had been well known by anyone who was on there for any length of time. I know that newbies are often confused with that information being in total carbs.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:23

BF:

Lois, it is your plan but I would start at 40 total (we go out of ketosis at 50 to 60 total carbs) so you would be straddling the line there .
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:23
Keto Lab Rat

Serea and Blue I remember that discussion very well. Nobody believed Blue until Baylor jumped in and backed what she said. Somewhere in amongst all that, we created the Total Carb vs. Net Carb thread and the rest is history.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:24
Keto Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by serea~
Lois, it is your plan but I would start at 40 total (we go out of ketosis at 50 to 60 total carbs) so you would be straddling the line there .

Good point! <40 it is! Thanks.

Edit: less than 50 should still keep me in ketosis. I need to look back on my spread sheets and see what my total carbs were to get to 20 net carbs when I first started Atkins.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:33
It's Only Food!

BF:

Good advice, serea. I think it's better to start lower and add but that's what they all say to do anyway.

Lois, you could always get away with higher carbs than I. I'm going back to tracking also. I told Jimbo that my days of self-indulgence are over.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:40
Keto Lab Rat

Jimbo has been very supportive of your efforts too. We have a couple of really good guys there.

I've always started at one point with carbs in Induction and then gone lower if I needed to and carried on with Induction. Once I reached OWL I started to increase carbs "as tolerated".

Hell, even if I don't see much of a loss in the first couple of weeks, I'm still going to be eating better than I have in months....and de-toxing.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:42

BF:

The discussion that I was involved in was not the one that you are speaking of...it was long before that ....doesn`t matter tho....I just always make sure that I am clear when discussing it with new folks. The discussion that I was involved in started by someone who was nursing and needed to know how many carbs to be at to stay out of ketosis.

Lois...how many net will vary greatly depending on what foods you choose.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-13, 09:42
Keto Lab Rat

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't know what's going to work for me this time and I'll have to feel my way around till something clicks. Does that make sense?
Closed Thread