Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-13, 16:49

Plan: General low-carb
Stats: 176.9/169.8/140.0 Female 5'4
BF:37%/36%/25%
Progress: 19%
Default Thoughts on cheating (triggers for those craving carbs?)

Hello lowcarbers! (LC'ers?)

I am a newish member, though I've had a short induction stint before now that was very rigorous and un-enjoyable. This time around I want to do things right, change my lifestyle-- not just diet.

So I've only been cheat-free for two weeks, but today I decided to indulge in some carbs. I didn't have to, and I know it'll probably stall my weight loss, but I'm not regretting it right now.

I was just thinking: I ate one of my mother's delicious strudel blueberry muffins. Before I would have scarfed down three without thinking much of it. But this time I really took my time, enjoyed just how absolutely divine it was. It was like eating a slice of heaven, sweet, buttery, cakey. Tart blueberries, crumbly strudel.

And now that I've finished it, I actually have no desire to eat more. I just appreciate how talented my mother is.

I think it was Jennifer Aniston who said, when asked how she maintained her figure, to just "Stop eating crap every day."

I think, that, here, is the key. Thank you LC for teaching me to appreciate treats for what they should be: treats.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 05:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

or a similar Paleo poster:
Paleo is not Low Carb, it is Low Crap.

of course, Paleo is much lower in carbs than the Standard American Diet, and many Paleo followers do eat below 50g carbs/day. Removing processed foods, sugar and gluten from your diet, except for that ocasional rare treat, is important. Just be aware if the wheat in that muffin causes cravings the next day...if it does, you may find non-wheat treats trigger fewer diet detours.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 10:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
And now that I've finished it, I actually have no desire to eat more. I just appreciate how talented my mother is.

Maybe you can turn your mom on to baking with coconut flour and lupin flour? They're low carb flours.

Don't get complacent about cheats. They can cascade on you. You'll think about how well you handled that and that "everything in moderation" has the ring of truth to it and before you know it, you're sliding down a slick slope in a toboggan with your head buried in a bag of Cheetos.

I find that an insidious nagging voice will be speaking to me for several days after a cheat and it takes a hearty dose of realistic self-talk before that voice goes away.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 10:59

Two days after the fact I think you guys are right: It did trigger some cravings. This morning I woke up and was significantly more hungry than usual. After my usual eggs I ended up eating a granola bar because I was still hungry. Hasn't happened before...

Thanks, JEY100, I'll try something less wheat-y next time...

Nancy LC, the cheetos comment made me lol.
Unfortunately, my mom used to own her own baking company, so she considers less "traditional" options (fake sugar, low-carb modifications) pretty much blasphemous.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 11:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You add insult to injury by eating a granola bar. A small bag of nuts would have been a better choice, a hard-boiled egg, string cheese... lots of things.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 17:45

Yeah, probably not the best choice. It was about 20 carbs though, so not too bad.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 19:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 176/125/125 Female 5'3.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsalsa
Yeah, probably not the best choice. It was about 20 carbs though, so not too bad.

20 carbs is my daily allowance. I consider 20 carbs in one serving of something to be very bad indeed.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeigh
20 carbs is my daily allowance. I consider 20 carbs in one serving of something to be very bad indeed.

Well, not so bad by my standards. Are you in the induction phase of Atkins? How's it going?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 20:48
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Well, not so bad by my standards. Are you in the induction phase of Atkins? How's it going?

I stick to induction levels (I don't count net carbs. I count total carbs), and it's going well. I've lost 25 lbs in the last 3.5 months or so.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-13, 02:58

You and your Mom might reconsider wheat after reading the book Wheat Belly or Dr. Davis's blog: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

Peter Reinhard, the famous baker of Bother Juniper fame with a TED talk on spiritual experience of making bread, even has a cookbook of wheat free breads, The Joy of gluten-free and sugar-free baking the best tasting "fake" breads, muffins, etc around.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeigh
I stick to induction levels (I don't count net carbs. I count total carbs), and it's going well. I've lost 25 lbs in the last 3.5 months or so.

Congrats! I did that level of carbs once and couldn't hack it. Major props to you.

Was it hard to stick to it in the beginning/is it still hard now?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You and your Mom might reconsider wheat after reading the book Wheat Belly or Dr. Davis's blog: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

Peter Reinhard, the famous baker of Bother Juniper fame with a TED talk on spiritual experience of making bread, even has a cookbook of wheat free breads, The Joy of gluten-free and sugar-free baking the best tasting "fake" breads, muffins, etc around.

JEY100, you are a wealth of knowledge and awesome net links. You give me yet another bookmark.

I've seen Wheat Belly at bookstores. I remember being pleased that carb-watching had finally broken into mainstream.

I am VERY surprised by the Reinhart book. My Mom actually used his cookbook/bread philosophy book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, to make the barm for her Swedish limpa bread.

My Dad, a lover of books and the original Atkins on-offer in our family, will no doubt be very pleased about this... Perhaps I'll buy it for a gift to them?

Anyways, sorry to blather on. But thank you.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 04:04

You are most welcome...I am "talking" to you because my own DD won't listen

Wheat Belly Is coming up to its two year anniversary of publication. Still the #1 book on diet related Amazon charts. It continues to sell, unlike most diet books, by word of mouth because there are so many success stories.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 14:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Congrats! I did that level of carbs once and couldn't hack it. Major props to you.

Was it hard to stick to it in the beginning/is it still hard now?

Yes it's harder in the beginning, but it's not difficult anymore. My dh and adult dd still eat plenty of carbs, so I'm surrounded by them. It honestly doesn't bother me anymore. I love the food I do eat.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-13, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You are most welcome...I am "talking" to you because my own DD won't listen

Wheat Belly Is coming up to its two year anniversary of publication. Still the #1 book on diet related Amazon charts. It continues to sell, unlike most diet books, by word of mouth because there are so many success stories.

Ehh, yeah, she'll do it when and if she wants to. Maybe bake some low-carb treats or leave Wheat Belly on the coffee table when she comes over, haha.

It amazes me that all the knowledge on nutrition has been so startlingly wrong for all this time. Recommended 6-11 servings of rice, pasta or bread a day? Wow.