Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 11:06

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 245/232/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Eric Westman wrote the current Atkins Diet book New Atkins for a New You, and was the first clinical researcher to study the Atkins Diet as used at Dr Atkins' clinic around 1990. The history of his low carb studies is in the highly recommended book, Why We Get Fat and the clinic Diet is in the appendix. He is one of the world's leading researchers on the low carb diet and still sees clients at Duke. You can also find good YouTube videos of interviews and even his intro class...he too eats at 20g day and has for 12 years.

The 20g/day can be maintained if you eat 3 cups of salad with some variety of salad veggies or 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of cooked veggie. Cheese, cream etc also has daily limits. Follow the plan by measured amounts and you will be around 20g carbs. Fiber is highly overrated.

Great! I do not have the newest Atkins Book, guess I need to get that one. I limit my Cream Cheese just as regular cheese. If love Cheese, but I know from previous trial and error when I tried this in the past that Cheese stalled me so I stay away from too much cheese. I usually will alternate. If I have Cream Cheese one day I stay away from regular cheeses and vice versa.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 13:28

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

11 inches lost in a week? WOW! Amazing!!

Is that possible? I'm on Day 9. I've gotta go dig those tight shorts out of the dresser and see if they fit me! ::EXCITED FOR YOU AND ME!::
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 15:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
11 inches lost in a week? WOW! Amazing!!

Is that possible? I'm on Day 9. I've gotta go dig those tight shorts out of the dresser and see if they fit me! ::EXCITED FOR YOU AND ME!::

It was def possible for me, I did it. Mine I think was a result of a Gluten Sensitivity. Which caused bloating...etc and when I cut out all gluten products I began to lose. I was amazed at my own loss. I noticed earlier that my double chin is almost gone! My daughter noticed too.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 17:01

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I tried my tight shorts on and I can't tell that they fit any better. But it's only been 9 days now...
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-13, 18:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
I tried my tight shorts on and I can't tell that they fit any better. But it's only been 9 days now...

Just keep at it! It will come off and soon they will fit good.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-13, 09:50

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I dont even think about fibre - IMO thats just a ploy by the cereal manufacturers to sell their waste product <...> I tend to keep below 20 carbs a day by eating nuts, cheese, meat, pork scratchings/rinds, butter, eggs.......

I'm maintaining now, so I dont really count my intake too much

Jo xxx

My colon seems much happier if I consume a heaping teaspoon of psyllium fiber per day. That doesn't work for everybody though. For others too much fiber can cause constipation. We are all so different inside.

I don't count the psyllium as carbs because the carbs equal the fiber so they negate each other.

I don't eat many veggies and fruits because the carbs make me gain. I know someone who can and is still thin. Again, we are so different inside.

And I think about it this way.

In the natural world, when does the fruit and grain ripen? Right before the starvation season (winter in the temperate zone and the dry season in the tropics). What does that have to do with anything?

The animals can gorge themselves on the fruit and grain before the starvation season comes, and put on a load of fat to supply them with energy when the food becomes scarce.

For most people in industrial countries, there is no starvation season. Refrigerators, processed foods, vacuum storage, and transportation have eliminated a starvation season. It's as easy (or difficult for the unlucky) to get an orange in January in Minnesota as it is to get one in Florida in the fall.

Through the billions of years of evolution, the animals with a love of fruit and grains made it through the starvation season, and passed those genes on to us. So naturally we love a nice juicy apple and could eat them all day. But the starvation season doesn't come, so we can eat them all year and get as big as a blimp.

What I'm trying to say is these foods are designed to make us fat. That used to be an evolutionary advantage, but it no longer is for most of us.

For the past 13 years I've done about 20 carbs per day. Oh there are exceptions, I don't count it when I'm on vacation, and if my sister makes my mother's recipe lasagna, I'll have a small piece. But for at least 350-360 days per year, I'm on plan.

My blood work is 100% in the recommended zone, and I look healthy. I went to a doctor for my yearly checkup, a new nurse came in to do my BP and walked out again. She came back in a few seconds later, and told me she had to check to make sure she was in the right room with the right patient. She said I look 20 years younger than it says on the chart. I told her she just made my day.

So I can be on Very Low Carb for many, many years. I don't know how many others can, because we are all so very different inside. But I would suspect a lot of people can do fine on VLC.

Bob
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 05:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ south beach
Stats: 148/135/130 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Thanks to all on this thread for the great support and explanations of what works for you. I just got the Westman diet overview form the Atkins site.. have the book reserved at the library.. very convincing so far and gives me great hope!

and.... I found out that I love pork rinds :-) and last night I zipped up my dress from my daughter's wedding in 2000 ! yeah!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 06:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Just to be clear, the Atkins site induction is 20 net carbs (most from veggies) while the Dr Westman clinic plan 20 total carbs. For someone without many pounds to lose and no blood sugar issues, either works well. The NANY book aims to be inclusive of a very wide audience, with many ways individuals can personalize the plan if needed. I've done both versions with success.
I tried pork rinds for the first time ever last month..after 3 years LC. Interesting. But definitely fill that crunchy salty craving

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-11-13 at 07:14.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 12:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Just to be clear, the Atkins site induction is 20 net carbs (most from veggies) while the Dr Westman clinic plan 20 total carbs. For someone without many pounds to lose and no blood sugar issues, either works well. The NANY book aims to be inclusive of a very wide audience, with many ways individuals can personalize the plan if needed. I've done both versions with success.
I tried pork rinds for the first time ever last month..after 3 years LC. Interesting. But definitely fill that crunchy salty craving

Do you know if Pork Rinds contain Gluten? I have not gotten any because I was not clear as to whether they contained any gluten or not. Tried searching online and I never could find a definitive answer anywhere.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 13:23

Rinds are just pork skin fried in lard with salt. No gluten. No carbs. About half fat, half protein.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 13:46

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

You have to check the list of ingredients to be sure

In UK as far as I know all pork scratchings/crackles/rinds have at least "some" added stuff like wheat starch or rusk. Not enough to make much carbs (about 0,2 per 100grams in the ones I buy) but enough to cause problems for someone with a wheat intolerance I imagine

Here are ingredients of one brand that Tesco sells, but most seem to have similar lists
Quote:
Ingredients
Pork Rind, Pork Fat ,Salt ,Flavour Enhancer: Monosodium Glutamate ,Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein ,Rusk (Wheatflour, Salt) ,Dextrose ,Colours: Paprika Extract ,Ammonia Caramel

But I think that in Northern America you must be able to find some without additives.

Last edited by Elizellen : Sun, Aug-11-13 at 14:27.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 16:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Crazy that they put wheat in everything over in the UK! They tend to use corn here. But I've never seen pork rinds in the US with added wheat, corn, or any grain. Doesn't mean they exist, but I would say it isn't typical.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-13, 19:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

THe flavored pork rinds I stear clear of-- those have added ingredients including sugar. I stick with the plain. Crunchy and salty!
---------

1Fat momma-- in regard to your first post and the question of how long on low carbs . . .. .

I make the best use of the few carbs alotted and this is why.

Cancers are rampant in our society and I have come to firmly beleive one facet is because our SAD diet has become devoid of high quality vegetables and fruits. Cancer runs in my family and I have confirmed that I have the genes HOWEVER, my plan is to use my diet to fight off the cancers. Apparently many micronutirents in vegetable matter are good anticancer fighters. I eat small salads of turnips greens, raw nuts, mushrooms, green onions, blueberries, raspberries, wild blackberries, chokecheerries, parsley, and many herbs. Not all in one salad though! lol Variety!! And rotate by what is readily available.

For me, and I hope for you, too this low carb way of eating becomes a way of life. THe weight will come off and the inside workings will get fixed on this way of eating. Plus, tHe 20-30 carbs a day can be well utilized providing another layer of protecting our health if the veg/fruit is chosen well.

THe markets today allow us great choice of good quality veg/fruit all year round. I planted a garden this year and I'm eating veg that I NEVER have tried before. IT is an adventure !

To sum up my 2 cents worth, Atkins clearly advocates adding veg matter and getting up the OWL level; but he doesn't advocate eating none. Well chosen carb foods can add great benefits to your health.

4 oz of protein ( meat or eggs) and 7-10 carbs of veg/fruit x 2-4 meals a day

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Aug-11-13 at 19:53.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 03:50

Wow, Elizellen..what a list for the UK package. I' m no expert just having bought my first bag ever, but as I remember all the unflavored brands at one store were just rinds and salt. I may have an advantage living in the #2 hog producing state in the US Y'all would go crazy in the Pork center at the State Farmer's market. Pure lard in 5 gal. buckets, every possible pig part, including brown skin...I just do not want to know what that is
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-13, 05:06

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Actually, most pork rinds (in the USA) are zero fat on label also. And here there's just pork rinds, salt.

I've maintained now for about 12 years...and I keep pretty close to 30 grams carb if I'm not going for a long walk, or lifting that day. I can push it to 50 (these are net) if I work out several times in one week or walk about two to three miles a day for four days of one week.

Mostly I 'stagger' my carbs though. I won't eat any wheat, corn, legumes though, or soy, I'm very (anaphylactically, call the ambulance to corn and soy) allergic to those. For that reason, I eat almost completely naturally occurring foods.

My fruit is tomatoes, and strawberries (just a couple, once or twice a year). Otherwise, someone needs to tell me how a very short, disabled (lungs/bones), 58 yr. old women can eat up to 2200 calories a day. My workouts aren't that strenuous now (just some pilates, and I wear ankle weights, and carry hand weights when walking...a little bit of lunges, and so on) either.

Ah, lowcarb eating was really the answer to my hunger...I'd be in a very rough spot if I were in the UK with all the additional 'stuff' in products.