Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 11:30

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

The few kids we have in our high-rise are not allowed to roam the floors begging for candy. They can go to the front desk in the lobby where we all dump our sugar offerings which the unfortunate door staff then hand out to them and to kids from the neighborhood.

I'm sad to say I'm a cowardly sugar enabler but I read somewhere about a dentist who gave out toothpaste and tooth brushes. His lawn must have been covered in toilet paper the next day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 11:33

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

And because it's Halloween planning, why not fry up a dozen or so of those chicken feet you use as your moniker! That will give the kiddos a fright.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 11:37

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
snip..
but I read somewhere about a dentist who gave out toothpaste and tooth brushes. His lawn must have been covered in toilet paper the next day.

His neighbor, the gastroenterologist, must have handed out the toilet paper.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-13, 11:54

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
His neighbor, the gastroenterologist, must have handed out the toilet paper.

LOL, yeah and I guess the morning after Halloween a lot of people stopped off for what his neighbor on the other side, the gynecologist, was handing out?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 10:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just bumping this. I ordered some animal finger puppets from Amazon.com this year.

Going to hand those out instead of candy. I tried oriental-trading.com but they have really expensive shipping costs.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 10:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I don't get trick or treaters in my building, but love your idea, Nancy!
No trick or treaters= bought tickets for midnight viewing of rocky horror picture show

I LOVE Halloween- who needs candy, when there are so many fun ways to celebrate? haunted houses, dressing up, carving pumpkins and roasting the seeds......
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Coupon code for free shipping for OrientalTrading.com if you search for it. Good place to get non-candy things to hand out for halloween. I got some finger puppets and jumping spiders toys.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Oct-22-14 at 11:58.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 18:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm so excited for this Halloween! We bought this home in a condo townhouse community last November, so this will be my first time with trick-or-treaters. There will be a TON of them. It's pretty ghetto, though. They're getting good enough candy that our trees won't be TPed or my windows egged. The chocolate bars will all be Kit Kat, Coffee Crisp, and other ones loaded with gluten so I won't be tempted. And I'm going to hand out shots of whiskey and Bailey's to their parents.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Oct-22-14 at 18:47.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 10:07

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
And I'm going to hand out shots of whiskey and Bailey's to their parents.

that is so fun!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 10:50

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

We moved over the summer and just realized that we have never seen kids in our neighborhood. (Knox St. for those who know Dallas) I mean, ever, it's kinda weird after living in the suburbs forever. Debating even getting anything to hand out, which I previously would have never considered! Dental floss? Lol!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 16:30

Plan: IF
Stats: 198.5/178/140 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 35%

In my old neighborhood I used to get up to 100 kids. My new neighborhood is fairly hilly and now it's more like 30. Cute little ones early in the evening and a few teens later. I do give out Halloween treats although I don't buy them too early so I am not tempted to eat them. I never thought about giving out toys but what a nice idea.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 16:42

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

http://www.foodallergy.org/teal-pumpkin-project if you're giving out non-food treats, there's a project this year to let kids with allergies know about it! my son has celiac and cant handle anything with dyes, so you can guess how much halloween candy he can actually eat (pretty much nil). i'm pretty excited about the teal pumpkin and hope to see a few of them when we're trick or treating this year. in the past, we've done little toys, stickers, halloween pencils, etc. the kids always like it, and never any backlash for not giving out candy!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 19:36

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I made my husband buy, handle and give out the candy the last two years. I think I almost put myself in diabetic shock one year because I kept eating Hershey kisses and all the left over chocolate Minnie bars...and I'm not even diabetic.
Never again
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 22:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

Last year I went out, but left a light on the porch and put out a basket with small foil-wrapped squares of dark chocolate and "fancy" teabags (in packages) for the parents. When I got home the basket was empty (and intact) so I guess it was a success!

I've also thought about putting out small candles (maybe with glitter?) -- though not suitable for little kids. And if you don't expect too many people and can afford it, you could give out packets of plain microwave popcorn.

And this goes back a while, but one year I was at the gift shop at the state historical society and picked up tiny magnets, notebooks, etc. with wildlife on them. The kids seemed to love them.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 22:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Emergency!!

OK This is an Emergency!!
My husband went out and bought $35 worth of Minnie candy bars of all types and by the time we got home, all of the trick-or-treaters had stopped and now we're left with all of them. He only opened two bags and I told him to return the rest but if I didn't have an Adkins bar with coconut and chocolate I think I could have fallen off the wagon. I guess I'll have to throw all of the opened bags in the trash.