Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 05:55
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Two Large Meals a Day Tops Six Mini-Meals for Weight Loss

Quote:
Eating two large meals a day yielded more weight loss than consuming six mini-meals with the same number of calories...

The study builds on previous results disproving the theory that eating more frequently improves weight loss.

Two meals a day also led to a greater decrease in liver fat content and a bigger increase in insulin sensitivity than six smaller meals.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...eight-loss.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 07:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nice to see. Interesting that it was done on T2 diabetics. Aren't they sold the mini-meal idea?

The grazing-as-the-superior-weight-loss-method myth drives me nuts. It's particularly unhelpful to LCers, who aren't on the blood sugar roller-coaster. I honestly believe snacking is one of the most common (and least talked about) stallers for us.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 10:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I agree, Kristine! I think our body needs a good rest from food in between meals.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 10:15

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

I agree too!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 10:19

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'd be glad to see the 'eat several small meals a day' myth die.

Seriously, eating six or even five times a day? That's a pain in the ass even if you aren't worrying about them being healthy meals!

As for breakfast needing to be the biggest meal, I'm not sold on that.
Personally, I can't stomach a big breakfast.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 10:59

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I love a big breakfast. A couple of hours after getting up though, not first thing. On the Optimal Diet Kwasniewski writes that people eventually level out to 2 meals a day .

It's so satisfying to have a big breakfast and not think about it again until dinner!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 11:27

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%

This cheers me up.I hate breakfast and I haven't got a good appetite and trying to fit in 6 meals a day put me off diets altogether. Left to myself I think I'd be fine on one good snack and one big meal a day.
(My fat came from not being mobile - not over eating.)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 12:01

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardatha
This cheers me up.I hate breakfast and I haven't got a good appetite and trying to fit in 6 meals a day put me off diets altogether. Left to myself I think I'd be fine on one good snack and one big meal a day.
(My fat came from not being mobile - not over eating.)

I think you'll change your mind on that eventually. Think about it. We're discussing a difference in the effect of many meals vs fewer meals on weight loss, in spite of the same amount of food eaten. Doesn't that suggest there's something else going on besides calories? And if there's something else going on for weight loss, well there must be something else going on for weight gain too.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 12:05

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Eating 6 mini-meals is another idea that helped make me fat. 100-200 cals/mini-meal never satisfied me, even on Atkins' fat fast. It just made me obsess about food and the hunger probably caused stress/cortisol to increase, leading to more hunger & weight gain.

Also, the stomach has fullness/stretching sensors that normally help indicate you're full, so if you are never full your body continues to scream for more food. I also found my gut motility slows down.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 12:11
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I love a big breakfast. A couple of hours after getting up though, not first thing. On the Optimal Diet Kwasniewski writes that people eventually level out to 2 meals a day .

It's so satisfying to have a big breakfast and not think about it again until dinner!

I tend to eat like this on weekends. Big brunch and then dinner. It doesn't work as well during the workweek when I wake up earlier though.

--Melissa
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 15:31

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Nice to see. Interesting that it was done on T2 diabetics. Aren't they sold the mini-meal idea?
snip.

Aren't they the folks that pump out large amounts of insulin until they can't?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-13, 09:29

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

Finally. I always hated the 6 mini meals a day advice. All it does is make people eat more. Personally I cannot snack or eat small amounts. When I am hungry I am hungry and I want an actual meal. I think it is very difficult for a hungry person to not eat to satiety. It goes against instinct.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-13, 09:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Reminds me of this article in Science Daily someone posted a few months back;

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...20912084430.htm

Quote:
A Carefully Scheduled High-Fat Diet Resets Metabolism and Prevents Obesity, Researchers Find
Sep. 12, 2012 — New research from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem shows that a carefully scheduled high-fat diet can lead to a reduction in body weight and a unique metabolism in which ingested fats are not stored, but rather used for energy at times when no food is available.

Previous research has established that disrupting mammals' daily rhythms, or feeding them a high-fat diet, disrupts metabolism and leads to obesity. The researchers wanted to determine the effect of combining a high-fat diet with long-term feeding on a fixed schedule. They hypothesized that careful scheduling of meals would regulate the biological clock and reduce the effects of a high-fat diet that, under normal circumstances, would lead to obesity.
For 18 weeks they fed a group of mice a high-fat diet on a fixed schedule (eating at the same time and for the same length of time every day). They compared these mice to three control groups: one that ate a low-fat diet on a fixed schedule, one that ate an unscheduled low-fat diet (in the quantity and frequency of its choosing), and one that ate an unscheduled high-fat diet.
All four groups of mice gained weight throughout the experiment, with a final body weight greater in the group that ate an unscheduled high-fat diet.
The mice on the scheduled high-fat diet had a lower final body weight than the mice eating an unscheduled high-fat diet. But surprisingly, the mice on the scheduled high-fat diet also had a lower final body weight than the mice that ate an unscheduled low-fat diet, even though both groups consumed the same amount of calories.
In addition, the mice on the scheduled high-fat diet exhibited a unique metabolic state in which the fats they ingested were not stored, but rather utilized for energy at times when no food was available, such as between meals.

So far as resetting circadian rhythm goes, early in the feeding period (breakfast) seems to be ideal.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-13, 04:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I honestly believe snacking is one of the most common (and least talked about) stallers for us.

I completely agree; I think it's a "diet mentality" that leads to thinking a tiny meal will "work" when I would rather go for hours, get rather hungry, and then enjoy a satisfying meal and not eat again for hours.

Snacking only makes me more hungry!

Two meals a day (or even one, if it is sumptuous enough) works wonderfully for me.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-13, 13:16

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Years ago I tried the Body for Life diet, and those 6 little "meals" every day drove me nuts. I was eating when I didn't want to eat. I've observed on Atkins that my big protein and fat breakfast keeps me full for ages, and most of the time I simply do not want lunch. Period. But stuff in the press always wants to make me feel guilty for not eating lunch! Without lunch, I'm usually hungry at 4 or 5, and then I can eat an early dinner and be done with food for the day. I think I read something somewhere that the multi meals are counter productive because your body is almost always in digesting mode rather than resting and perhaps going into fat burning. That makes sense to me!