Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-16, 12:28

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Liddie, I am so sorry to hear about your husband and the difficult past 6 months. But you have come to the right place.

16 years ago I tore my ACL and had two surgeries, but was able to do well on Protein Power, losing 60 lbs in 10 months. It turned out that it was all concurrent with perimenopause heading into menopause, all with no symptoms.

Knee surgery taught me that ice (frozen peas) can work better than motrin for joint pain control. A heating pad might help with any hysterectomy or muscle pain. Also, most pain is caused by inflammation. Getting off your personal inflammatory foods (all grains, legumes, sugar, dairy proteins, for me) can even eliminate joint and sinus pain. I also find Quercetin works for me to greatly reduce inflammation related to seasonal allergies.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Sep-18-16 at 12:35.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 07:46
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I swear by turmeric for inflammation and pain. I take one 500mg capsule twice a day (4xdaily if I have REAL bad back pain) and it really helps me. Many of my friends who take it for arthritic pain have seen great improvement. But it can interact with some RX meds for diabetes, coumadin and NSAIDS, so do the research before trying it.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 08:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Had a weird pain in upper chest, neck area when taking a deep breath or bending over, or sleeping on my right side. Weird! Time passing seems to help, but I'm also taking Holy Basil, Turmeric, and yesterday had a bright idea to take quercetin.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

One thing that doctors rarely, if ever, bother to tell you is that NSAIDs, other than aspirin, reduce inflammation, then, when the drug is withdrawn or wears off, the inflammation rebounds at a higher level. Leading, of course, to dependence on the drug.

I get killer headaches from the TBI I had well over 2 and a half years ago. I was taking one Naproxen for them. But I've switched to one aspirin, and it seems to help enough to deal with them.

Other alternatives to meds, though, are Tang Kwei, an herb used in traditional Chinese medicine for menstrual cramps, but very helpful with chronic pain associated with muscle tightness around inflamed joints, relaxing herbs like jujube, the turmeric that Peggy mentioned, and making sure that you have adequate intake of the electrolytes that we all need: sodium, potassium, chromium, magnesium, calcium, etc.

Another thing is large amounts of good quality omega 3s. Be sure they're filtered well, as many of them contain impurities. But omega 3s are excellent for your joints, as well as assisting with mental clarity, as your brain really needs them. You COULD, if you ate a ton of salmon everyday, get the same result. But I LIKE salmon. I don't LOVE it. And I can well imagine that, even if I loved it, eating it two or three times a day, day after day, that the loving relationship might end.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 09:33
Experimenter

BF:

The other thing NSAIDs do is cause intestinal permeability making it more likely you'll end up with food intolerances.

You can overdo Omega-3's.

Quote:
High intakes of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid -- the two types of omega-3 fatty acid present in fish oil -- puts you at risk of excess bleeding and might increase the risk of hemorrhagic stroke, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Overconsuming omega-3 fatty acids can also dampen your immune system, since they inhibit the inflammatory processes your body needs to fight off infection. While the Institute of Medicine has not set an upper tolerable limit for omega-3 fatty acids, you should avoid taking too much fish oil to prevent side effects.

I had a capillary in my eye leak from too much FO (I think). I was eating my herring/sardines once or twice a day and taking a couple of FO capsules too. So I was getting 5-6g of Omega-3 every day. Then one day I had a bloody looking eyeball. So I cut back a bit.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

5-6 grams? That's a LOT!

My thought would be EITHER a lot of sardines OR the capsules. One of the benefits of a doctor who actually understands supplementation is that they will tell patients who are going to have surgery to stop the omega 3s for about a week pre-op, and then get them back on them a couple days post-op to lessen the possibility of throwing clots.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 13:35
Experimenter

BF:

You have to be careful not to take them with coumadin and other blood thinners.

They're probably a good thing for me to have regularly, since I have a genetic mutation that causes clots.

Anyway, I'm glad I am eating herring once a day (at least). Over all quite tasty and I think good for me!

I just learned that herring and sardines are the same fish.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-16, 13:38

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I just learned that herring and sardines are the same fish.

And now I just learned that! Thanks.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-16, 06:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

But when you say "herring" it is funnier.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 04:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

On Dr Davis's newer UnDoctored blog, transcript posted on WheatBelly, he lists some of the prescription drugs that block weight gain by Class.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/...ty-lose-weight/