Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-15-15, 06:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

SSRIs (Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro etc) are notorious for causing weight gain, even though there was a fairly recent study that claimed only a five pound gain in only some patients. I was skeptical, because these are incredibly common drugs and I've never heard of anyone NOT gaining weight, sometimes lots, when they are on them.

But I didn't know about NSAIDs in general, or the statin link. Modern medicine gets us going and coming, don't they?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 07:41

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I quit the steroid nasal and inhalers I was using this winter to get over a chronic cough, and stopped taking Aleve twice a day (for knee and back pain) just after Christmas. The scale has started to move again, and my pain actually isn't any worse. It was for the first few days, then evened out. Same has for the lungs and nasal passages. Were a little congested, and rough feeling for a few days, but then cleared.

Now I only take pain meds if absolutely unbearable. Other than than, NO way.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-22-15, 08:51

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Azelastine nasal antihistamine made me gain 20 pounds in three weeks. That's really what I've been getting off in the past few weeks.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-16, 03:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Davis's list of reasons for no weight loss, including the medications he listed before, thyroid disruption/wrong medication, Etc. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...pdated-version/
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-16, 05:52

BF:

I discarded the "official" information on Gabapentin, the drug I was taking for persistent shingles nerve pain, and guess what? The PATIENTS report considerable weight gain with it.

That's where my thirty pounds probably came from. In the process of tapering it off.

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Jun-08-16 at 09:44.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-16, 08:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

After finding out I have massively leaky gut, I finally got off the daily NSAID I was taking. I'm trying to get off the nightly antihistamine I take to sleep. I'm down to 1/4 tablet. Hard to get off that stuff when you're a bad sleeper.

And now antihistamines are linked to brain shrinkage and other permanent brain changes. ARGH!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-16, 21:26

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Davis's list of reasons for no weight loss, including the medications he listed before, thyroid disruption/wrong medication, Etc. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...pdated-version/

I thought this part was interesting:

"Intermittent fasting should not be confused with habitual skipping of meals, e.g., always skipping breakfast; habitual and consistent meal skipping actually causes weight gain. If you skip meals, do so in an unpredictable and random pattern, so that your body does not adjust and ratchet down its metabolic rate."

Not sure Jason Fung has addressed this idea of randomness and the body adjusting, but it might make sense.

Earlier someone mentioned that losartan causes weight gain, but I don't see that on this list here.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-09-16, 03:26

Is Losartan a beta-blocker or plain 'ole anti-hypertensive? Check the side-effects of any in that big class of drugs, weight gain seems common. Talk about an over-prescribed group for "treating a number" ...BP meds came up in this recent podcast on Medical Flipflops for what they called "surrogate outcomes" ...treating to get a lower BP number, when that may not result in preventing a stroke or heart attack.
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2016...cal-flip-flops/

I have the same question about doing a fast everyday, one reason I have only done a 24 hr 2-3 days/ week. But after watching Bob Briggs I am going to try more days and see what happens.

Quote:
And now antihistamines are linked to brain shrinkage and other permanent brain changes
this study didn't get enough press...because yikes! How many people take these meds for most of the year?!

New Resources found in The Patient's Playbook.

Promoting conversations between providers and patients http://www.choosingwisely.org

Also treatment usage by ZipCode: http://www.dartmouthatlas.org

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-09-16 at 05:10.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 08:40

BF:

Down to half my Gabapentin dose: from 12 pills a day to 6. Considering that my doctor suggested lowering by one pill a WEEK, that is great progress

Just did the calculations: his way would take 1.6 years.

Confirmed: it was triggering cravings, tiredness, and anxiety because I am feeling better and better as I come off of it. At first, it was a lifesaver: Nazi levels of nerve pain were eliminated, and it brought my anxiety down. But now that I'm well (pain has not returned so far) I know it is doing more harm than good.

A tip I picked up by using obsessive Google-Fu: if I feel poor effects from cutting down, I use tiny doses of chelated magnesium: basically, sucking on one big tablet until I feel better, then putting it into cling wrap until needed again.

I had to cut out my magnesium dose entirely while on these pills: the usual consequences of too much magnesium, ifyouknowwhatImean. Now I can gradually, very gradually, re-introduce it, because I know it is a vital mineral. And is another reason to lose the pills.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Jun-26-16 at 08:59.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 13:13

Very interesting talk on the "Hidden Costs of Medications" by Jackie Eberstein. Not just dollar costs, but nutrient depletion, stimulation of insulin, triggers for weight gain, other diseases, a packed lecture on many drugs, starting with plain aspirin. On member site, http://www.dietdoctor.com/member/pr...eberstein-lcc-2
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 15:12

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Very interesting talk on the "Hidden Costs of Medications" by Jackie Eberstein. Not just dollar costs, but nutrient depletion, stimulation of insulin, triggers for weight gain, other diseases, a packed lecture on many drugs, starting with plain aspirin. On member site, http://www.dietdoctor.com/member/pr...eberstein-lcc-2

Great talk by Jackie Eberstein. It just reinforces how beneficial eating low carb is well beyond weight loss since so often it leads to the elimination of many if not all prescription drugs. It has for me.

Jean
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 15:33

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I thought we could start a list. It might be useful. I've been taking naprosyn for back pain and found my weight going up and up. Looked it up and sure enough it is a known side effect.

Naproxen sodium, Naprosyn (Aleve)
Ibuprofin (Advil, etc)

Boy, am I glad I finally read this thread! I recently had sudden weight gain, then just as suddenly, I lost the same pounds. Couldn't figure out why, but now I suspect the naproxen I was taking every day for a while. I don't know if acetaminophen affects me the same, but now I'll be watching.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 18:53

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm still taking occasional advil since breaking my wrist on july 5. no weight gain, but not lost either. so what else is new?
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-16, 13:41
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I've just recently come of my Metoprolol (beta-blocker) and know suspect it was what caused me a 6 year stall at the weight of 170: no gains; no losses, and I was eating low-carb as I always had without cheating. Then my Mom and brother took ill and traveling caused me to put on all I had lost over the period of 1 year.

I'm now on 2.5 mg Lisinipril (lowest dose they make) for a week, and have ever so much more energy. Had to tell my doc about that, too! Didn't realize the metoprolol was causing the fatigue. Grrrrrrr. My doc said I may even not need ANY blood pressure med and may take me of it entirely, if my walking and dieting continues to improve my health. I have lost 20# effortlessly in the last 5 months on Carb Nite Solution and I also incorporate one 24hr fast a week, with occasional random fasting from 6pm to 12 noon through breakfast). I change it up all the time, because I don't want my very adaptive body to catch on as to what food intake it will get on any given day. This seems to be key for me to be able to lose.

I feel better than I have in 8 years!! This is about how long I was on the beta-blocker!! My last doc wouldn't discuss dropping it; my new doc is receptive to listening to her patients and was amenable to changing my med, but she said she didn't think it would make one iota difference in weight loss (said it was likely just age and excess weight) as the weight gain side effect was not so common with Metoprolol. Time will tell as to who is right.

Now all I take is the 1 Lisinipril a day, Vitamin D3 and K2 (calcium uptake regulator).
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-16, 05:15
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%
Cool

this explains a lot. in march 2016 I watched my husband die from a blood clot induced heart attack and was in a depression, then tore my meniscus and started relying 0n motrin, had that surgery but found arthritis so was taking it regularly to enable me to do my too physical job. in the meantime I grew an impressive fibroid tumor so now I am 12 days past a full hysterectomy, and with a narcotic allergy that meant more motrin.soon I will have to return to work and the thought of no pain killers is scary. I am a grocery order picker, 18000 steps average a day and 1296 cases from 25-70 pounds. perhaps its time to find a different job but right now I need the insurance. my weight is exactly where it was years ago when I started this, but I had reached my goal and kept it for years. I suppose it will be a lot harder now but this gives me a clue I didn't think about. the other problem I now will face is menopause.