Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-13, 07:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Wonders of vegetable oil

Quote:
Vegetable Oil Is Good for You, Experts Say
June 7, 2013 — A typical American consumes approximately 3 or more tablespoons of vegetable oil each day. Vegetable oils, like those from soy, corn and canola, are a significant source of calories and are rich in linoleic acid (LA), which is an essential nutrient. Since the 1970s, researchers have known that LA helps reduce blood cholesterol levels, and for decades, scientists have known that consuming LA can help lower the risk of heart disease. However, some experts have been claiming recently that Americans might be getting too much of a good thing. A new study from the University of Missouri contradicts that claim.

In the study, "Effect of Dietary Linoleic Acid on Markers of Inflammation in Healthy Persons: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials," researchers at the University of Missouri and the University of Illinois found that no link exists between vegetable oil consumption and circulating indicators of inflammation that are often associated with diseases such as heart disease, cancer, asthma and arthritis. While earlier animal studies have shown that a diet rich in LA can promote inflammation, MU animal sciences researcher Kevin Fritsche says that humans respond to LA differently.
"In the field of nutrition and health, animals aren't people," said Fritsche, an MU professor of animal science and nutrition in the Division of Animal Sciences. "We're not saying that you should just go out and consume vegetable oil freely. However, our evidence does suggest that you can achieve a heart-healthy diet by using soybean, canola, corn and sunflower oils instead of animal-based fats when cooking."
Linoleic acid is an omega-6 fatty acid that is a major component of most vegetable oils. This fatty acid is an essential nutrient and comprising 50 percent or more of most vegetable oils.
Fritsche, along with Guy Johnson, an adjunct professor of food and human nutrition at the University of Illinois, conducted one of the most thorough studies on LA questioning whether this fatty acid promotes inflammation in humans. When the evidence from numerous clinical trials was gathered and examined, Fritsche said it was clear that LA consumption did not promote inflammation in healthy people.
"Some previous studies have shown that inflammation, which is an immune response in the body, can occur when certain fats are consumed," Fritsche said. "We've come to realize that this inflammation, which can occur anywhere in the body, can cause or promote chronic diseases. We know that animal fats can encourage inflammation, but in this study, we've been able to rule out vegetable oil as a cause."
Fritsche and Johnson reviewed 15 clinical trials that studied nearly 500 adults as they consumed various forms of fats, including vegetable oils. The researchers could find no evidence that a diet high in linoleic acid had any links to inflammation in the body. Due to this discovery, the researchers say that it is important to continue following the current recommendations from the Institute of Medicine and the American Heart Association to use vegetable oil when cooking and consume between two and four tablespoons of vegetable oil daily to reach the necessary amount of linoleic acid needed for a heart-healthy diet.
"Consumers are regularly bombarded with warnings about what foods they should avoid," Fritsche said. "While limiting the overall fat intake is also part of the current nutrition recommendations, we hope people will feel comfortable cooking with vegetable oils."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...30607222855.htm

If the review depends on
Quote:
15 clinical trials that studied nearly 500 adults

I sort of have to wonder how relevant all this is to anything.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-13, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Sorry, but the Rose corn oil study--

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2166702/

and the revised Sidney Diet-Heart Study--

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8707

showed that linoleic acid supplementation and less animal fat increases your risk of a heart attack or cardiac death by about 80%. Linoleic acid does decrease your total and LDL cholestrol, and apparently markers of inflammation, but it apparently kills you anyway... Bummer.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-13, 16:52

BF:

For me most of those oils are worth avoiding on taste alone. Nut oils taste good. Most other plant oils taste awful.

I clicked on affiliations for Guy Johnson, and got this;

Quote:
Guy H. Johnson, Ph.D., Principal

With over 30 years of experience in the nutrition community, Guy H. Johnson, Ph.D. provides industry experience, multi-faceted knowledge of nutrition, and solution-oriented outlooks to problems faced by the food and beverage industries.

JNS is your comprehensive resource for nutrition-related scientific, regulatory and communications initiatives. We delight our clients with high-caliber work delivered on time.

Services:

Assess the scientific literature to support strategic business development and/or claim substantiation
Engage business teams and senior management to evaluate and leverage nutrition-related opportunities
Coordinate nutrition-related regulatory initiatives including health claim petitions, structure-function claim substantiation and FDAMA notifications
Facilitate partnerships with the professional healthcare community and other stakeholder organizations
Act as media spokesperson
Organize and coordinate technical programs and seminars
Serve as nutrition expert on scientific advisory boards
Develop and/or deliver dynamic presentations to professional organizations ranging in size from committees to large meetings. Topics include the impact of health claims, the industry perspective on nutrition trends and nutrition-related scientific overviews.

Hrmm.

http://www.nutritionsolutions.net/index.html
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-13, 20:46

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

In general I share your opinion about plant-based oils. Especially for cooking.

But I am recently loving avocado oil. Both for drizzling and cooking. Awesome for both. Especially nice for salads and veggies in the summer! And fantastic for pan roast cod. Which I am extremely picky about. Try it!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-13, 10:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Vegetable oils, like those from soy, corn and canola, are a significant source of calories and are rich in linoleic acid (LA), which is an essential nutrient.
The first thing that jumped to mind was, this HAS to be funded by Big Ag... the only oils mentioned were the THREE biggest commercial ag oils.
They must be alarmed... national consumption must be going down!

Quote:
For me most of those oils are worth avoiding on taste alone. Nut oils taste good. Most other plant oils taste awful.
That's because they're nearly rancid by the time they're processed and bottled.

I'm a soapmaker, and learned back in 2001 how quickly these industrial oils go rancid almost as soon as they're opened unless refrigerated immediately upon opening, and even then they only last a few months. Rancid oils cause DOS in soap, "Dreaded Orange Spots"... not so-affectionately-known as soap cancer... and I was using grocery store veggie oils! Because of this, I threw out all veggie oils years ago, figuring if grocery store oils were causing DOS in my soap, they surely weren't doing good things to my body.

Avocado and olive oil are far more stable oils than industrial-processed "vegetable" oils, since they are only pressed, not industrially processed before they can be consumed.

Most veggie oils are RBD... refined, bleached and deodorized before they're edible. Check out this video to see the incredible processing the oils must undergo to become edible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omjW...r_embedded#t=0s

Ugh, I just watched the video again after several years and my gorge rose, destroying all appetite I had for lunch.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-13, 10:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Ugh, I just watched the video again after several years and my gorge rose, destroying all appetite I had for lunch.
Hmmm... maybe I should watch this. I'm way too hungry today! LOL!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-13, 11:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Almost rancid, so called "heart healthy oils" were always a bad idea to start pushing on folks IMO. I think eventually we will see most of those go the way of Trans-fats and tub margarine. Put a drop of vegetable oil next to a drop of say coconut oil on the counter and see which stays the same and not gooey after a few days -- or just check the threads and cap of an opened bottle after a a few weeks.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-13, 21:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Another study supporting vegetable oils

Quote:
Vegetable fats tied to less prostate cancer spread
By Genevra Pittman (Reuters)
NEW YORK | Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:17pm EDT

(Reuters Health) - After being diagnosed with prostate cancer, men who eat a diet high in vegetable fats, such as those in nuts and olive oil, may be less likely to have their disease spread, a new study suggests. Researchers found that replacing some carbohydrates with those healthy fats was also tied to a lower risk of dying from any cause during the study. But the opposite was true for saturated and trans fats often found in meat and processed foods.

"A lot of doctors will simply say, ‘Cut out fat,'" after a prostate cancer diagnosis, said Dr. Stephen Freedland, a urologist at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina. But this study challenges that advice, said Freedland, who wrote a commentary on the findings. "It actually says, if you eat more fat, albeit the right kind of fat,… you're less likely to die of not only prostate cancer, but really of any cause, which really flies in the face of this ‘low-fat, low-fat, low-fat' mantra that we've been told for decades now," he told Reuters Health.

Researchers tracked 4,577 men who were diagnosed with localized prostate cancer during a large study of health workers beginning in 1986. Those men filled out questionnaires every four years on how often they ate or drank about 130 different types of foods and beverages. Over the next eight to nine years, 315 men developed lethal prostate cancer - cancer that spread to other parts of the body or killed them - and 1,064 died from any cause.

Men who reported getting the highest proportion of their daily calories from vegetable fat - more than 21 percent - after their diagnosis were about one-third less likely to die during the study than those who ate the least vegetable fat. And they had a borderline lower risk of developing lethal cancer. On the other hand, men who ate a similar amount of animal fat tended to be more likely to die during follow up, from prostate cancer or anything else, than those who skimped on animal meat.

Erin Richman of the University of California, San Francisco, and her colleagues found that switching 10 percent of daily calories from carbohydrates to vegetable fat was linked to a 29 percent lower risk of lethal prostate cancer and a 26 percent lower chance of dying from any cause. But replacing 5 percent of those calories with saturated fat, or just 1 percent with trans fat, was tied to a 25 to 30 percent higher risk of death during the study period, according to findings published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine. "The benefit was really when you were replacing refined carbohydrates with (things like) olive oil and nuts," Richman told Reuters Health. She said vegetable fats contain antioxidants and may reduce inflammation in the body, thereby making it harder for cancer to spread.

The American Cancer Society estimates about one in six U.S. men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime, and one in 36 will die of the disease. Because how animals are fed and how meats are cooked may both affect cancer risks associated with eating animal fats, Freedland said, "It becomes difficult to say, ‘Animals are bad; vegetables are good.' It's not that simple." He recommends that men with prostate cancer cut out simple sugars and processed foods, as that is one of the easiest ways to get to a healthy weight. But not all fat should go.

Richman agreed. "I think there's enough established benefit that you're not going to do any harm by adding nuts or olive oil," she said.

SOURCE: bit.ly/MbBLbb JAMA Internal Medicine, online June 10, 2013.
Original investigation: JAMA Intern Med. 2013;():1-8. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.6536.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-13, 17:46

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
After being diagnosed with prostate cancer, men who eat a diet high in vegetable fats, such as those in nuts and olive oil, may be less likely to have their disease spread, a new study suggests. Researchers found that replacing some carbohydrates with those healthy fats was also tied to a lower risk of dying from any cause during the study.
SO... was it really the vegetable fats that lowered the risk? OR was it the "replacing some carbohydrates with those healthy fats" ???

My experience seems to say the cutting the carbohydrate consumption to around 20% of what I had been consuming and replacing the lost calories with coconut oil was the MAJOR factor in my prostate cancer going into remission - I think that I could claim that it is totally gone as my PSA has remained low for ten years now. AND there are now studies that back up the idea that carbohydrate restriction reduces or eliminates cancers.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-13, 17:38

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
switching 10 percent of daily calories from carbohydrates to vegetable fat was linked to a 29 percent lower risk of lethal prostate cancer and a 26 percent lower chance of dying from any cause. But replacing 5 percent of those calories with saturated fat, or just 1 percent with trans fat, was tied to a 25 to 30 percent higher risk of death during the study period

Confusing here. Do they mean ditching 10 percent of dietary carbs replaced with vegetable oil versus only ditching 5 percent dietary carbs replaced with saturated fat? If so maybe cutting only half as much carbs out of the diet was the cause of poorer disease outcome, not the fat type which replaced carbs. And it doesn't take me much to imagine keeping all but 1 percent of the carbs plus adding noxious trans fats to the diet doing something bad health-wise.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-13, 20:29

BF:

I think it's likely the replacing one percent carbs with trans fat tells the real story--it's not saturated fat vs unsaturated (and might not even be trans fat vs unsaturate). It's that trans fat, and saturated fat, in the population studied, correlates with unhealthy diet and lifestyle in other ways. Olive oil and nuts are considered healthy, and people who make a point of eating them have a number of other good habits.

Butter often comes with bread, and beef fat very often comes from McDonalds, or Taco Bell, etc.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...-fat-in-the-us/

Top food sources of saturated fat in the US (food, then percentage):

Quote:
Regular cheese

Pizza

Grain-based desserts

Dairy desserts

Chicken and chicken mixed dishes

Sausage, franks, bacon, and ribs

Burgers

Mexican mixed dishes

Beef and beef mixed dishes