Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-13, 05:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default How to Cure Type 2 Diabetes

Dr. Eenfeldt has posted an excellent new interview with Dr. Jay Wortman, How to Cure Type 2 Diabetes.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-cure-type-2-diabetes-2

Dr Wortman cured his own diabetes 11 years ago by eating VLC, and headed the diet study on a First Nations tribe that became the CBC documentary, My Big Fat Diet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjTm...295AAFC&index=1

He makes recommendations in this interview on diets to follow, good websites and books for information, etc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-13, 16:33
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 196/188/140 Female 5ft1in
BF:
Progress: 14%

Enjoyed the interview. Thanks for posting.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-13, 10:17

Another interesting little 10 minute video from 2007 with Dr James Haney interviewing Dr. Eric Westman.
Steve Cooksey(Diabetes-Warrior) posted that this video was confirmation for him of benefits of LC for diabetes. I had never seen it before...a little blast from the past and some info on Dr. Westman's clinic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...d&v=r2F2IlLoT00
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-13, 18:54

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Let's clarify that you cannot *cure* diabetes. You might be controlling it with just diet...but you're still diabetic.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-13, 05:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfie
Let's clarify that you cannot *cure* diabetes. You might be controlling it with just diet...but you're still diabetic.

That is one viewpoint which is argued amongst doctors involved in the treatment of diabetes. There are doctors who subscribe to that statement, others who do not. Just to present the other side:
Dr. Westman has stated that if a T2 has perfectly normal blood sugars, Hb1c, and every other marker of diabetes was non-existent...and saw a doctor who had no record of previous tests x years ago...would that doctor enter a diagnosis of diabetes? Not possible. That patient has cured diabetes with their lifestyle and diet. Apparently Dr. Wortman and Eenfeldt would agree, as do most LC doctors.

Even the Mission of the ADA is: To prevent and cure diabetes and improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-14-13 at 06:02.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-13, 07:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
.and saw a doctor who had no record of previous tests x years ago...would that doctor enter a diagnosis of diabetes? Not possible. That patient has cured diabetes with their lifestyle and diet. Apparently Dr. Wortman and Eenfeldt would agree, as do most LC doctors.

Even the Mission of the ADA is: To prevent and cure diabetes and improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.

You mean the same ADA that touts a high carb (140gm) diet?

True...if the person hid their past medical problems from the doctor then, of course, the doctor won't diagnose them as a diabetic. That doesn't mean the person is not still a diabetic. It just means they're controlling it.

Put that same 'diabetic' back on a 'normal' high carb diet and watch their BG's go up. I disagree that most LC doctors believe diabetes is cured by low carb. Most that I've read say that you can most likely control it without meds on LC. I did have doctors tell me in the past that if I just exercised and lost weight, I'd 'cure' my diabetes. My current endo who specializes in diabetes told me this is a very danger assertion because it leads diabetics to believe that after they lose the weight and get in shape, they can go back to the higher carb diet that many eat with no problem. Just not true.

#7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 03:42

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 225/195/160 Female 5' 7-3/4"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfie
You mean the same ADA that touts a high carb (140gm) diet?

True...if the person hid their past medical problems from the doctor then, of course, the doctor won't diagnose them as a diabetic. That doesn't mean the person is not still a diabetic. It just means they're controlling it.

Put that same 'diabetic' back on a 'normal' high carb diet and watch their BG's go up. I disagree that most LC doctors believe diabetes is cured by low carb. Most that I've read say that you can most likely control it without meds on LC. I did have doctors tell me in the past that if I just exercised and lost weight, I'd 'cure' my diabetes. My current endo who specializes in diabetes told me this is a very danger assertion because it leads diabetics to believe that after they lose the weight and get in shape, they can go back to the higher carb diet that many eat with no problem. Just not true.

Only 140 gr/day? When my hubby was dx'd 6.5 yrs. ago, the dietition told him he should eat 45-75 carbs Per Meal. It's a good thing we've learned so much since then, without their "help".

Another nurse said about the same thing Elfie, he'd always be diabetic but when his numbers are what we consider 'normal', he'd be diabetic...in control. So no, I don't think it's Cured. It's just Controlled.

I agree with the fact that if a person is in great control, with normal BG and goes to a new doctor and doesn't tell them.....etc., etc.

Somehow I think that our health 'records' follow us though.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 05:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513
Somehow I think that our health 'records' follow us though.

Yeah and it bothers me in the 'big brother is watching' sense. My doctor is an hour and a half drive away. I had to go that far just to find a doc who would work with my diabetes and me being on low carb. Anyway, about 3 months ago I got very sick in the middle of the night (turned out to be food poisoning) and had to go to the local ER. The nurse opens up her computer and says, "Are you still on..." and starts listing the diabetic meds I used to take 6 months ago! My doc doesn't have practice in the same county or at this hospital. Frightening in a way.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 15:02

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

That was a great video. I didn't catch the date and wonder if they will do a follow-up.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 02:40

Lizzy,
Dr Eenfeldt's video interview with Dr Wortman was just done this past May on the LC cruise. Brand new to replace the original one he did with the video camera on his 6'7" shoulder...this one is much better!
If you meant Dr Westman's old video interview, there are a number of videos of his lectures, an interview included on the LCHF beginners page, and the one of an Introduction class at Duke Clinic, reviewing his program,all available on-line.

Elfie, there are many ways prescription info is shared. Any time you apply for insurance one of the big database services will have a record of past five years, healthcare providers can share info, etc. Summary here, but with electronic records now required, it will become even easier!http://patients.about.com/od/yourme...cal-Records.htm

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jul-24-13 at 04:02.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 06:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Elfie...I agree it can be frightening...but from a health care perspective the continuity of care it facilitates along with reduction of potential errors is huge. Folks in healthcare are human and subject to human error...and I sooo appreciate the built in histories and safties provided by electronic medical records.

Throwing in my two cents on diabetes...I agree it's a mistake to say it can be cured. The symptoms and their negative impacts can be overcome by many with proper diet and exercise...but the underlying condition will still exist (exception noted=gestational diabetes).
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-13, 10:11

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hum...just reading this thread tonight and thinking about the discussion as to whether or not you can cure diabetes. I don't have it, but my brother does and my paternal grandmother. Anyway, 10 years ago, I tore my ankle up really badly. The doctor thought it was broken and did multiple X-rays. It wasn't broken, but was worse because of tearing all the tissue and such. He said a clean break would have been better. Fast forward to now. It is healed, but when I put undue pressure on it or am on my feet for more time than any human should be...then it swells up. It will even feel stiff. It doesn't hurt but I can look at it and clearly remember that it was badly damaged at one point. However, I would say that it has healed. If someone asked me if it is damaged or broken or whatever, I would say "no". However, I feel like I'll always have to be careful with that foot. Maybe some of the LC doctors see diabetes the same way. It's not as though you don't have to be careful ever again. It's just that as of now, it's not broken anymore. It can be easily re-injured, but only when proper care isn't followed.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-13, 07:18

Returning to the question of "curing" diabetes, or as this doctor calls it..."in remission". His interesting answer about he handles medical records diagnosis is in response to the first emailed question, at about 20 minutes into the podcast.
http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com...abetic-therapy/
Entire podcast is good.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 03:36

Dr Davis's open letter to Tom Hanks Don't Be Diabetic

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/...nt-be-diabetic/

Quote:
Tom Hanks announced on the David Letterman Show that he was diagnosed with diabetes after many years of struggles with blood sugar. All the news media have captured the story; here’s the USA Today story.

Mr. Hanks seems like a genuinely nice guy. So here is my open letter to him. Should he stumble on it, it provides the blueprint that I have been using to get rid of diabetes, a very realistic prospect for most people with diabetes–if they choose to do it and stick to it. Now, not knowing the full details of Mr. Hanks health and lab values, I make the assumption that he is a type 2 diabetic. Adults can indeed develop type 1 (which is often triggered by wheat, by the way, via autoimmunity). Adults can also develop a sort of diabetes often regarded as in-between types 1 and 2 called the Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA), though it behaves more like type 1. (There are also other forms, though rare, such as type 1 diabetes that develops from pancreatic disease beyond autoimmune beta cell destruction.) Because type 2 diabetes is, by far, the most common and the form that is driving the nationwide epidemic, I will assume that is the form Mr. Hanks shares. (LADA is next in line.)

Dear Mr. Hanks–
I believe it was very courageous to share your diagnosis on television with a national audience. I am sure you will be flooded by well-wishers as well as many people with advice. I’d nonetheless like to alert you to several issues relevant to diabetes:

-The majority of diabetes is reversible. Most people can make the choice to have diabetes or to not have it. I hope that you choose not to have it. This is because it is caused by diet. Sadly, it is caused by conventional advice to “cut your fat and eat healthy whole grains.” People often blame too many soft drinks and junk food, but there are many people like you who, I’m sure, try to eat well and don’t drink or eat sugary foods–yet have diabetes. This is due to grains. More than sugary foods, grains raise blood sugar to high levels. The glycemic indexes, for instance, of whole wheat bread, oatmeal, and multigrain breads are among the highest of all foods. They ENSURE having high blood sugars. (To see for yourself, use your glucose meter and check a blood sugar immdiately prior to a meal; consume the food in question, then recheck a blood sugar at 1-hour after eating, not 2 hours as often advised to assess the adequacy of blood sugar control on diabetes medication. You want the blood sugar peak, which is around 1 hour. You will see blood sugars of 200, 250, or 300 mg/dl after eating grains.) High blood sugars from “healthy whole grains” are also toxic to the beta cells of the pancreas (“glucotoxicity”), making blood sugars go even higher. In some people, the loss of beta cells means there can be no reversing diabetes, but this is less common early in the diagnosis.

–Ignore conventional dietary advice. Even better, do the opposite. Unfortunately, in the world of conventional diabetes advice, including that from most healthcare professionals, “Stupid is as stupid does.” The diet advised for people with diabetes makes fasting blood sugar and HbA1c (the 90-day measure of blood sugar) go higher, not lower. –There are a number of other reasons that grains, especially wheat (white and whole) can be blamed: The gliadin protein of wheat is degraded in the gastrointestinal tract to small peptides that act as opiates and bind to the opiate receptors of the human brain. This triggers appetite for carbohydrates, the worst foods to eat for anyone with diabetes. Wheat germ agglutinin, another protein in wheat, blocks leptin and cholecystokinin, both of which should trigger satiety. In the presence of wheat, appetite is not satisfied.

Beyond the powerful strategy of grain elimination, we do not restrict fats but get plenty of olive oil, coconut oil, and the fats from animal organs and meats and supplement with:
–Vitamin D–The insulin-sensitizing effects of raising your 25-hydroxy vitamin D level to 60-70 ng/ml helps regain control over blood sugar. A typical male requires 6000 units of D3 in gelcap form to achieve this level.
–Magnesium supplementation–While the effect is modest, correcting common magnesium deficiencies stacks the odds in your favor of regaining control over blood sugar. I advocate magnesium malate, 1200 mg, twice per day.
–Omega-3 fatty acids–from fish oil. After eating a meal, there is a flood of particles in the bloodstream (lipoproteins), representing the digestive byproducts of the foods consumed. These particles can block insulin. Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil activate an enzyme that accelerates clearance of after-meal lipoproteins, reducing their insulin-blocking effect. I advocate 3000-3600 mg per day of the EPA + DHA omega-3 fatty acids, divided in two doses for assured day-long reduction of lipoproteins.

Those of us who follow the above principles drop fasting blood sugar and HbA1c precipitously, often enough to get off medication, reduce HbA1c into the 5.0% range, and become assuredly NON-diabetic. Even if you are among the few who have impaired pancreatic beta cells and produce insufficient insulin, elimination of grains will minimize need for medications. And, by the way, we should also pass this information onto David Letterman, who also admitted to having high blood sugars during your interview.

My sincerest hopes that you benefit from these suggestions,
I remain William Davis, MD Author, Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight and Find Your Path Back to Health

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-10-13 at 03:47.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 11:23

BF:

I'm saddened that in that entire wonderful 'letter', he had to ruin it by saying that diabetes is reversible and you can choose whether or not to have it.

Certain *aspects* of diabetes are reversible. Some of the neuropathies may be reverseable. Diabetes is not. You either have it or you don't. You're either controlling it or you aren't.

When someone tells me they've reversed their diabetes, my response is, "Cool! Prove it. Go out and have a nice high carb dinner of pasta and bread and follow it up with a nice piece of pie or cake. Then tell me what your BG's are for the next 6 hours." Their response is usually, "oh no if I start eating like that, my BG's will go up." Ding ding ding...that means you are *still* a diabetic because someone without diabetes won't have that some reaction. Their BG will not climb as high, nor will it stay high for as long.