Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   ^
Old Fri, May-31-13, 17:28
Cyndee3 Cyndee3 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 108
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/164/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Intrigued with this plan

I have been following this board for a while. I am really intrigued with the CAD plan ( except I hate the name of the plan and the term "reward" meal). It almost seems too good to be true, yet I see that some of you are really making progress. What I like is that the plan really does seem to be able to work with many different twists or angles. I like that flexibility. I'd like to jump on board and give it a try. I have been low-carbing off and on for some time. Love the way I feel, hate the restrictions. I took pictures recently and can't believe how fat I look. I know I am overweight but I just didn't know it was that bad.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-13, 12:11
SummerSlim's Avatar
SummerSlim SummerSlim is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 571
 
Plan: CAD (original version)
Stats: 154/153/135 Female 5'7"
BF:33%>30%>19%
Progress: 5%
Location: Michigan
Default

Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?

You've got less than 40# to lose, you can do it!
Reply With Quote
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-13, 21:13
Cyndee3 Cyndee3 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 108
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/164/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default

Thanks SummerSlim! You don't have far to go either. Best wishes to you
Reply With Quote
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 03:19
Lulumae's Avatar
Lulumae Lulumae is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 943
 
Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/150/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default

It's an interesting idea but I don't think it would work for me. It depends which restrictions bother you I guess. I prefer to ban a whole bunch of things completely and treat myself with the things I really enjoy - black chocolate, wine - in moderation (more or less) on a regular basis. It seems to work as I have dropped around 40 lb. I eat with the family and in restaurants but I just have to pick something that fits my woe and pass on the side dishes of potatoes, rice, pasta or whatever.
It's like when I'm running, I hate to stop because you have to make the mental effort as well as the physical effort to get going again.
Reply With Quote
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 07:27
SummerSlim's Avatar
SummerSlim SummerSlim is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 571
 
Plan: CAD (original version)
Stats: 154/153/135 Female 5'7"
BF:33%>30%>19%
Progress: 5%
Location: Michigan
Default

Good for you, Lulu! Way to go on losing 40#

I have my main meal and splurge a bit, but don't go crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 07:35
patriciakr's Avatar
patriciakr patriciakr is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 5,662
 
Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/268.1/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 48%
Location: In the woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulumae
It's an interesting idea but I don't think it would work for me. It depends which restrictions bother you I guess. I prefer to ban a whole bunch of things completely and treat myself with the things I really enjoy - black chocolate, wine - in moderation (more or less) on a regular basis. It seems to work as I have dropped around 40 lb. I eat with the family and in restaurants but I just have to pick something that fits my woe and pass on the side dishes of potatoes, rice, pasta or whatever.
It's like when I'm running, I hate to stop because you have to make the mental effort as well as the physical effort to get going again.

I've lost 90 lbs. eating chocolate, ice cream etc. Calp works well for me so long as I don't get nuts with portions
Reply With Quote
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 10:27
ziggy711's Avatar
ziggy711 ziggy711 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 217
 
Plan: CALP
Stats: 176/137/130 Female 5'1
BF:No idea
Progress: 85%
Default

I had the CALP book for a year before I tried it. Even though I've yo-yo'd 40 pounds for the last 10 years on Atkins, I thought that it was the only way I'd ever lose weight and a real-sugar dessert or corn and potatoes with my meal would never, ever work, because I'd lose control. I glanced through this book and thought HA! NO WAY WILL THAT WORK. And forgot about it. And gained and lost for the whole year, on and off Atkins.

I am so glad I tried this. The book the 7 day Low-Carb Rescue and Recovery Plan is also pretty good; I could see easing into CALP like this book describes even though I jumped right in But this book taught me to "eat toward my carbs" -- have the salad, protein, and veg before the carb portion whenever possible -- this is how all my meals are, if I have bread I at least finish the salad first but then freely eat it with the rest of the meal.

CALP makes me feel strong, totally in control of my appetite, and I get a real dessert every day that doesn't give me stomach upset (like anything with sugar alcohols). I started May 2 and have lost 12 pounds. And absolutely no deprivation and I have not cheated, or even wanted to cheat, once.

Last edited by ziggy711 : Tue, Jun-04-13 at 17:16. Reason: grammar, even though I probably left other mistakes
Reply With Quote
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-13, 10:54
SummerSlim's Avatar
SummerSlim SummerSlim is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 571
 
Plan: CAD (original version)
Stats: 154/153/135 Female 5'7"
BF:33%>30%>19%
Progress: 5%
Location: Michigan
Default

Amy- I forgot about the thought of eating toward your carbs for the RM, that is so good to remeber! When I eat my carbs first, I totally go overboard. Last night I just happened to eat my veggies & protein first, then I was mostly full, I had a little bit of apple and a couple candies, and that was it, I was completely satisfied. Thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-13, 00:11
Cyndee3 Cyndee3 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 108
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/164/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this plan. It really helps when I see others having success. It reminds me that it is possible.
Reply With Quote
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 20:52
Cleveland Cleveland is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 687
 
Plan: Primal
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 105%
Location: San Diego, CA
Default

It didn't work for me at all. I started to gain and have cravings. Too many carbs. I can't even do a low carb high calorie meal too often. But it can't hurt to try, you will know very quickly if it works or not. I sure did.
Reply With Quote
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 22:12
misscoder's Avatar
misscoder misscoder is offline
New Member
Posts: 5
 
Plan: CAD
Stats: 180/179/155 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 4%
Location: SC
Default

I re-started the CAD on Saturday and I must say I feel wonderful, and this time much more relaxed about my expectations. The past three days I have only had one CM and one reward meal, not to accelerate the process, but because I am not hungry. That is such a wonderful feeling!

Last edited by misscoder : Wed, Jun-19-13 at 19:56. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-13, 10:34
Blenders's Avatar
Blenders Blenders is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 235
 
Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%
Location: So Cal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland
It didn't work for me at all. I started to gain and have cravings. Too many carbs. I can't even do a low carb high calorie meal too often. But it can't hurt to try, you will know very quickly if it works or not. I sure did.


I think it's very difficult to go from low carb to CAD. Especially after years of being low carb. I was a die-hard low carber for 15 years and I ruined my metabolism because of it. By the end, I had to severely limit my carbs AND calories AND daily exercise and still not see the scale budge. I was exhausted. I took a 6 month diet vacation and then started CAD. I'm seeing the scale go down with MUCH less effort. It's a relief and a savior!
Reply With Quote
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-14, 11:18
JFP 1975's Avatar
JFP 1975 JFP 1975 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 269
 
Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 260/218/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Location: Boston, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenders
I think it's very difficult to go from low carb to CAD. Especially after years of being low carb. I was a die-hard low carber for 15 years and I ruined my metabolism because of it. By the end, I had to severely limit my carbs AND calories AND daily exercise and still not see the scale budge. I was exhausted. I took a 6 month diet vacation and then started CAD. I'm seeing the scale go down with MUCH less effort. It's a relief and a savior!


Hi Blenders! I am low carbing now (Atkins induction level), have done so in the past (longest stint was 1 year) and just ran across CAD. So much of it is counterintuitive to me, but I am intrigued enough to get educated about it. Can you elaborate on how low carbing ruined your metabolism? What do you think happened? I'm really curious about the long term metabolic differences between VLC and CAD.

***EDITED to add that I just noticed this thread is older...so anyone else please feel free to chime in if Blenders isn't around!!
Reply With Quote
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-14, 11:37
patriciakr's Avatar
patriciakr patriciakr is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 5,662
 
Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/268.1/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 48%
Location: In the woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP 1975
Hi Blenders! I am low carbing now (Atkins induction level), have done so in the past (longest stint was 1 year) and just ran across CAD. So much of it is counterintuitive to me, but I am intrigued enough to get educated about it. Can you elaborate on how low carbing ruined your metabolism? What do you think happened? I'm really curious about the long term metabolic differences between VLC and CAD.

***EDITED to add that I just noticed this thread is older...so anyone else please feel free to chime in if Blenders isn't around!!

She's been quiet of late but will hopefully be logged in soon and see your note. I can't comment because it was Weight Watchers as my diet of choice and yo yo dieting that ruined my metabolism. CALP and portion control via a daily calorie limit is what has helped me lose over 146 to date
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:39.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.