Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-13, 09:08

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Magnesium

Quote:
Up to 80 percent of Americans are jeopardizing their health by failing to get the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of a mineral that protects against heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, stroke, and other dangerous disorders. In fact, this essential nutrient—required by every cell in your body—is so often overlooked that it’s been dubbed “the forgotten mineral.”

Skimping on this crucial mineral—magnesium—could actually be fatal, a new study suggests. The researchers checked the magnesium levels of 7,664 initially healthy people (using urine tests), then tracked the participants for an average of 10.5 years. Those with the lowest urinary levels of magnesium were 70 percent more likely to die from heart disease, compared to people with higher levels, even after other cardiovascular threats were taken into consideration.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/day...-save-your-life
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-08-13, 18:57
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Sounds like an important study, but likely won't be newsworthy unfortunately like the Vitamin D deficiency report was.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-13, 20:45

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

I'm not big on supplements, but I do take magnesium. I also eat unsweetened bakers chocolate which has it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:

I take chelated Mag because it is to work better than the other types. I read that Vit D can cause problems if you don't get enough mag. I take both. They also say you need Vit K2 with the D3, but I think I get enough from green veggies.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-22-13, 19:47

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 203/201/150 Female 66 inches
BF:32%
Progress: 4%
Wink I take it daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl

It helps me to relax and stay regular.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 10:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

They have known our soils are deficient in magnesium since the Dust Bowl, for heaven's sake!

I'm doing a half a one a day now, after topping up for a few years.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 13:52

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrsy
I take chelated Mag because it is to work better than the other types. I read that Vit D can cause problems if you don't get enough mag. I take both. They also say you need Vit K2 with the D3, but I think I get enough from green veggies.

Is chelated magnesium easier to digest? I take regular mag (MgO?) and have no trouble with it, but my wife gets acid reflux from it (and potassium and vit D).

Thanks
Glenn in Omaha
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 15:38

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

There's a website around someplace I don't recall the name of with a recipe for magnesium water. You basically chill an unopened bottle of plain carbonated water/seltzer water, quickly open it and add 3 tablespoons plain unflavored milk of magnesia (fill the little measuring cup that comes with it) slowly so it doesn't bubble over, then quickly close so little gas escapes, shake it up and refrigerate, shake up again so most of the white stuff in the bottle dissolves, then dilute and drink a little throughout the day, keeping the rest refrigerated. Something like one part this stuff and eleven parts water is supposed to mimic those expensive mineral waters in content. What you make with this recipe is magnesium bicarbonate, which is said to be absorbed a lot better than other magnesiums, something like fifty percent as opposed to five percent for magnesium oxide. Whatever that website I got it from originally years ago says how much actual magnesium is in the water and all of that. Can probably be located with some internet search engine if it's still around.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 08:25

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?

#10   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 08:40
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I've heard a higher percentage of the chelated magnesium is absorbed than other forms, so that's what I take daily. I think my source on that information was Ted Hutchinson who used to post here on the forums and who was quite knowledgeable on such matters.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 09:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Mike Eades had a good section on Magnesium in this post, how to find the chelated versions, how to figure out the amount you are really getting, etc: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...low-carb-pt-ii/

Can also make bone broth for a good dose.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 09:28

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

The most common form of chelated magnesium is magnesium citrate, which can be found in pretty much any supplement shop (I get mine from Vitamin World). I started taking it about three weeks ago and I already sleep much better than I did.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 09:31

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Bone broth for magnesium and other minerals. I wish I could find some good information on the content of calcium:magnesium in game animal (or any animal) bone broth. Anyone?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-24-13, 16:55

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Bone broth for magnesium and other minerals. I wish I could find some good information on the content of calcium:magnesium in game animal (or any animal) bone broth. Anyone?

On the green bar that runs across the top of the page, look at the right-hand side for "MyP.L.A.N." in yellow. Click on that.

Scroll down a bit, on the left of the page find "search". Click on that.

Instead of the word "broth", which will give you commercial soups, use "stock" as your search term. That will give you homemade bone broth.

You'll see that the mineral content varies with different types of bones used. Many of the homemade ones have more magnesium than calcium. The commercial one have vastly more calcium than magnesium.

HTH
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-26-13, 12:07

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 300/208/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
The most common form of chelated magnesium is magnesium citrate, which can be found in pretty much any supplement shop (I get mine from Vitamin World). I started taking it about three weeks ago and I already sleep much better than I did.

Actually magnesium citrate isn't a chelated form (it's an organic salt) though I do think it is a pretty good one. I was taking 400 mg/day of magnesium citrate but the source I was getting it from stopped making it, so I have switched to chelated magnesium. Chelated forms are amino acid chelates, such as magnesium glycinate and magnesium lysinate.