Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-13, 09:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Unfortunately a couple of the guests knew that I eat that way so it felt like lying by omission not to say anything.

No, you were just wisely not entering into a discussion that wouldn't be satisfying.

I wouldn't fault anyone for not talking about their religion or politics either.

It is very sad that people won't prioritize their health enough to even cook for themselves a couple of times a week.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-13, 10:56

Plan: Moderate Carb Paleo
Stats: 165/146/135 Female 5'4
BF:36%/30%/25%
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
I was at a party yesterday when someone brought up the subject of Paleo and opined that it was ridiculous to cut out whole groups of foods - moderation was the way to go. My new philosophy is not to enter into food discussions any more. Let people believe what they believe, I'm not their keeper. Unfortunately a couple of the guests knew that I eat that way so it felt like lying by omission not to say anything.

For some people, eating in moderation works great. My husband eats donuts in moderation, and he is rail thin and strong as an oak tree. Why does he get the skinny genes and I get the weird fat jeans where I have to be on a special diet all the time? I do not know. As for engaging with people about diet in discussions, you have to be kind of careful because even though Paleo has definitely hit the main stream (I saw it on Dr Oz recently), people probably do not know as much as you, and it might end in your wild hand gesturing and citing authors they've never heard of... thus putting you in the lunatic category. Perhaps you are more artful at debating than I am, and this won't happen to you. But also, the longer you talk to the moderation people, the more they will chip away at your resolve... that's what happened to me, and I don't recommend it.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-13, 12:38
Experimenter

BF:

I do think there are some people who are blessed with really advanced sugar metabolisms. However, there are a lot of people walking around who are skinny-fat. They don't have a ton of subcutaneous fat, but they're storing it internally around their organs. I think a lot of these folks end up with very severe Type 2 diabetes.

You may actually be lucky not to be one of the skinny-fat. Turning high blood glucose into stored subcutaneous fat might actually be healthier.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-13, 12:46
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
Convenient for you but I find it a little offensive that the way I have eaten and got great benefit from for the past 7 years or so is now being spoken of as being extreme by other people who are actually on a similar diet just because it is now fashionable to be about 80% paleo (whatever that is? ).

Maybe I should be taking offense at someone taking offense of my using a word in a perfectly reasonable way.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/extreme In case anyone needs a refresher on the use of the word.

If it helps, I'm sorry you're upset over my use of the word.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-13, 16:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
I must admit I had a lot of sympathy with her because I'd never cooked either, but of course it's turned out to be the best thing I ever did for myself and essential to making this w.o.e. work in the long term. I'm sure it's the perception of cooking being time-consuming that is keeping most of the population dependent on processed, chemical "food".

I pick a couple of times a week and cook a big batch of stuff for the freezer. The crockpot is marvelous. If I had a countertop bigger than a cutting board and a food processor it would be even easier.

It takes more time than sitting in a drive through and picking up a bag of "food." But what we get out of it is food.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-13, 14:17

Plan: Moderate Carb Paleo
Stats: 165/146/135 Female 5'4
BF:36%/30%/25%
Progress: 63%

how do i delete a post? i just realized it was kind of irrelevant.

Last edited by Cocoatime : Fri, Apr-26-13 at 14:26.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-13, 14:56
Experimenter

BF:

You can "report" your posting (exclamation point in triangle) and ask the mods to delete or... or do what you did and erase it.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-13, 10:16

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Maybe I should be taking offense at someone taking offense of my using a word in a perfectly reasonable way.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/extreme In case anyone needs a refresher on the use of the word.
Nobody needs a refresher apart from you perhaps?
Eating a paleo diet without nut flours or paleo baking is not "very intense", "far beyond the norm", "severe", "drastic" or "very dangerous". Like I said before, it's just paleo.

Last edited by Warren D : Sat, Apr-27-13 at 10:47.