Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 17:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Another reason to go to work on an egg - it could lower your blood pressure

Another reason to go to work on an egg - it could lower your blood pressure
By Anna Hodgekiss

Egg whites could lower blood pressure in the same way as medication, new research has found.

A key component found in the whites was found to have the same blood pressure lowering properties as Captopril, a high blood-pressure drug.

Dr Zhipeng Yu, who led the research at China's Jilin University, said: 'Our research suggests that there may be another reason to call it 'the incredible, edible egg'.
A component found eggs whites has been found to have the same blood pressure lowering properties as some medication

A component found eggs whites has been found to have the same blood pressure lowering properties as some medication
PUGH page35.jpg

'We have evidence from the laboratory that a substance in egg white - it's a peptide, one of the building blocks of proteins - reduces blood pressure about as much as a low dose of Captopril, a high-blood-pressure drug.'

Dr Yu and his colleagues studied a peptide found in egg white called RVPSL.

This has a powerful ability to inhibit or block the action of ACE, a substance produced in the body that raises blood pressure.

Experiments with rats showed RVPSL had no toxic effects and lowered the blood pressure.

The findings were presented to the National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS) in New Orleans.

Dr Yu said: 'Our results support and enhance previous findings on this topic.

'They were promising enough to move ahead with further research on the effects of the egg white peptide on human health.'

Dr Yu said he believed that egg white peptides, either in eggs or as a supplement, could become useful as an adjunct to high-blood-pressure medication.
The substance in egg white has a powerful ability to inhibit or block the action of ACE, a substance produced in the body that raises blood pressure

The substance in egg white has a powerful ability to inhibit or block the action of ACE, a substance produced in the body that raises blood pressure

In 2009, scientists at the University of Alberta in Canada found that eggs produce proteins that mimic the action of powerful blood pressure-lowering drugs.

They too found that eggs may lower blood pressure in the same way as Ace inhibitors.

The drugs lower blood pressure by stopping the hormone angiotensin narrowing the body's blood vessels.

The researchers found that when eggs come in contact with stomach enzymes, they produce a protein that acts in the same way.

Last month researchers at the University of Missouri reported that a high protein breakfast of eggs is the best way to control appetite and stop dieters snacking at night.

Experts at have found that a breakfast rich in protein significantly improves appetite control and reduces unhealthy snacking on high-fat or high-sugar foods in the evening.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...l#ixzz2Q6YzsDbm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 12:09

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Ok, then. I'll stop throwing away egg whites
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 14:13

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
Ok, then. I'll stop throwing away egg whites

Not me, at least, not at the moment! I am trying to keep my protein "moderate" for NK, so egg whites gotta go. But then, my BP is doing just fine so I don't need to their help.

Glenn in Omaha