Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-13, 23:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
I am taking compounded T4 and T3 for my thyroid as the synthroid just didn't do it for me and I had a problem with the Armor (probabaly due to the Hashimoto's). I think my thyroid is better now than it has been in years.

Oh, good for you! I take a little T3 too. No compounded, but I kind of think I might like to have it done in time-release form sometime.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-13, 06:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You are most welcome, but I am still here for myself too. Maintenance is no walk in the park And it really helps to have the support of others who struggle over each pound and one source for good low carb information on this forum.

It is recommended that you just stay at 20g until near goal, when you can move to the option of net carb. But that is very individualized and why you see the doctor monthly. It depends; some are thin diabetics, some obese, some ask to lose at a slower pace so they can add a food much missed (wine comes to mind in that category ) but ideally you stay as close to this program as possible.
The ”withdrawal" is psychological (how can I eat lunch without bread?) which just takes preparation to remain full the first week. Eat a big breakfast of eggs and some meat. Have boiled eggs, meat, cheese and celery with you for snacks, and hot broth or tea in a thermos. Don't end up in a meeting with bagels and Danish and nothing for you to eat, stay full and satisfied the first week so the cookie break doesn't call your name.
You can also ask me questions through private messaging, which you can use after a certain number of posts or joining the forum for a small fee.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-13, 06:08

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

And make sure you are 'armed and dangerous' as far as hypothyroidism is concerned. You'll want to make sure you get a Free T4, Free T3 tests (FT4 should be about midway of range or even slightly lower, FT3 had BETTER be half the range or better, depending on person). When my T3 tanks the cravings come ON! And low T3 also will make you have to cut calories excessively low.

Most of us with Hashi's don't convert incoming T4 only into the necessary amount of T3.

Otherwise, I've got everything you got plus four autoimmune diseases and I've done quite well over the last 13 years...combined some of Protein Power principles with Atkins.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-13, 10:14

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Eating lunch without bread is fine with me as I currently don't eat it now (I'm celiac and the gluten free bread is VERY high carb). I do sometimes have some carbs. My problem will be the sweets (I'm addicted to sugar I think), and I do love my wine.

My work meeting is on the phone (I work for myself, from home), but it very important - I'm leading others, so I have to feel good.

Working alone at home is good in many ways but I'm single and get bored or feel like I want to be around people more sometimes, so I think I eat for that reason.

PS does the bouillon have to be beef, or can it be chicken?

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You are most welcome, but I am still here for myself too. Maintenance is no walk in the park And it really helps to have the support of others who struggle over each pound and one source for good low carb information on this forum.

It is recommended that you just stay at 20g until near goal, when you can move to the option of net carb. But that is very individualized and why you see the doctor monthly. It depends; some are thin diabetics, some obese, some ask to lose at a slower pace so they can add a food much missed (wine comes to mind in that category ) but ideally you stay as close to this program as possible.
The ”withdrawal" is psychological (how can I eat lunch without bread?) which just takes preparation to remain full the first week. Eat a big breakfast of eggs and some meat. Have boiled eggs, meat, cheese and celery with you for snacks, and hot broth or tea in a thermos. Don't end up in a meeting with bagels and Danish and nothing for you to eat, stay full and satisfied the first week so the cookie break doesn't call your name.
You can also ask me questions through private messaging, which you can use after a certain number of posts or joining the forum for a small fee.

Last edited by 1DogDay : Mon, Feb-25-13 at 09:19.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 05:24

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay

I don't think it matters which animal was used to make the stock/bouillion, as it is the salt content that does the trick!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 22:02

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:

Knorr makes a quite acceptable beef or chicken broth, aka beef or chicken in a mug. This time of year, when it's chilly out, I like to have some hot broth in my vacuum water bottle when I'm out on the golf course. A warm drink really helps and the flavour is quite good!

I can't help with your other concerns, but I do want to welcome you and remind you to voice any concerns -- we're all ready to help wherever and whenever we can!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-13, 23:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
Knorr makes a quite acceptable beef or chicken broth, aka beef or chicken in a mug. This time of year, when it's chilly out, I like to have some hot broth in my vacuum water bottle when I'm out on the golf course. A warm drink really helps and the flavour is quite good!

I can't help with your other concerns, but I do want to welcome you and remind you to voice any concerns -- we're all ready to help wherever and whenever we can!

Thanks Glenda, I can't eat Knorr it's loaded with msg and I'm gluten intolerant. I have an organic gluten-free bouillon paste (beef and chicken)that I can mix with water and it's got the salt so it should work.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 08:12

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

That GF paste sounds good, can you share the brand/name?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-13, 09:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
That GF paste sounds good, can you share the brand/name?

It's called "Better Than Bouillon" and the beef has 1 carb, the chicken has 2 carbs.