Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 12:39

Plan: Paleo-Ketogenic, LCHF
Stats: 358/263/235 Male 6' 6"
BF: More to Love
Progress: 77%
Default 3-Day Fat Fast

I'm looking for ideas for a 3 day Fat Fast. (1,000 calories a day, 90% Fat, 4-5 "meals" per day) While 5 meals of bacon each day sounds wonderful, I'd like some variety. I'm sure this topic has been beat into the ground also, but because the words "fat, and fast" are either to short or to common, I can't use the search function to find any related posts.

If anyone with experience would like to share their meal plans, or ideas that they found, I'd much appreciate it! Thanks!

,Ty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 15:19

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Have you read the suggestions Dr Atkins put in his 2002 book?
Quote:
The Fat Fast
The rationale behind the Kekwick diet is crystal clear: It forces the body into lipolysis so it burns its stores of fat. Lipolysis cannot take place if there is a significant source of glucose. Since all carbohydrates and some protein convert to energy by way of glucose, eliminating almost everything but fat from the diet forces even the most resistant body into lipolysis. That explains the ninety percent dietary fat component of the Kekwick diet. Lowering the caloric intake accelerates the need to burn up body fat-thus the 1,000calorie limit.
When I wrote the first edition of this book years ago, I realized that a small but intensely suffering segment of my readers would need to know how to overcome metabolic resistance. So I decided to make the Kekwick diet as enjoyable as possible. But no matter how I tried, the quantities were simply too small and the selection too limited to meet the satiety and tastiness criteria that I had been demanding for people following my program.

I gave it the name "Fat Fast" because it contained virtually no food except for fat. I tried it on scores of patients and was not surprised to observe how often it worked for those who were unable to lose in any other safe, drugless way. Nor was I surprised to hear that none of my patients relished the idea of staying on it. But ten more years of experience with the Fat Fast has
taught me how to make Kekwick and Pawan's brilliant concept a truly useful technique with which to combat metabolic resistance.

The Fat Fast is one controlled carb program where you do have to count calories, I am afraid. You'll eat 1,000 calories a day, with seventy-five to ninety percent fat. Since frequent "feedings" prevent hunger better than three meals a day, I recommend five feedings, perhaps one every four hours, comprising 200 calories each. Because of the high fat content and frequent feedings, very few people on the Fat Fast experience much hunger. The stumbling block for some people is the absence of meals as we know them.

Let's look at some choices for a Fat Fast 200-calorie feeding. Each item equals approximately 200 calories:
• One ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
• Two ounces of cream cheese or Brie
• One ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado
• Two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise
• Two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar
• Two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup
• Two ounces of pate (check label for fat content)
• Two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise

When to Do the Fat Fast
Let me make it clear that the Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen. The reason why I ask such people to try the Fat Fast is to let them know that it is possible to lose weight.
I ask them to try the regimen for four or five days to see if they achieve what the Fat Fast is capable of doing-weight loss, curbed appetite, positive lipolysis testing strips and improved well-being. If these results occur, most people are willing to stick with it for a few days, even if the food selections are unfulfilling.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 15:25

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

BTW - eating just bacon (1000 calories would = only about 6.25 ounces cooked of USA style bacon/streaky bacon in UK) would not get you to the 90% fat as according to fitday it would have about 77% fat/23% protein.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 15:46

lol, I know, I just like the idea of bacon for every meal. I actually just picked up my Atkins book to re-read the fat fast section (the 72' which doesn't have the updated info that you posted). What concerns me is the line, "Let me make it clear that the Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant." My first argument to this would be, aren't we all metabolically resistant if we're overweight to begin with? I know there's that rare individual who loses perfectly on a low-fat diet, but aren't the rest of us metabolically resistant? I have searched a few other well know forums online (like Jimmy Moore, LC friends, etc) and none of them seem to offer any suggestion as to why this could be dangerous. It's not terribly far off from what I do normally. I'd like to find info on what the harms could be. I certainly don't want to do anything dangerous, but again, I don't see how it could be, especially in such a short period as 3 days.

I'm completely open to suggestions. I know my mother did "meat & egg" fasts where it was as close to 0 carb as you could get, and those worked wonderful for her. (she would typically do them for a week out of every month or two) I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be other than a slightly higher protein ratio. Instead of 90/10/0 she may have been doing 75/25/0.... I'm more interested in learning the right way of things than rushing into anything for any cause.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 15:46

Thank you for the comment by the way.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 17:00
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Some fat fast "meals" I like are:

2 thin slices of braunschweiger each spread with a tablespoon of mayo and a little squirt of mustard.

Cream cheese into which I mix some diced pastrami and onion. I serve that on a "cracker" of thin hard salami slices I crisp in the microwave for about 45 seconds.

Egg salad (hard boiled egg mixed with mayo) served in a lettuce-leaf.

Chocolate candy I make from coconut oil and butter: melt together 1 cup CO and 1 stick butter in the microwave, add about 6 T of cocoa powder (I mix equal parts regular and dark) and maybe 3 packets splenda. Pour into a plastic-wrap lined cake pan and freeze or refrigerate until hard. Break into squares and keep in the fridge. I try to size the squares so that each is about a tablespoon, so I can track the calories. Will depend on the size of the pan you used as a mold.

Coffee, to which I add 1T of CO and 2T heavy whipping cream.

Here is one of my typical FF menus
FF, 945 calories, 89% fat, 4.8 net carbs, 19.4g protein
B: decaf w/1T CO & 2T HWC
L: 1 oz macadamia nuts
S: 1 CO candy
D: salad of 1 HB egg + 1 oz ham + 2T mayo. in a lettuce leave
S: 1 CO candy

Here is another:
B: thermos of decaf + 4T HWC + 1T CO (takes me all morning and afternoon to drink this, so calories are spread out.
L: 1 oz macadamia nuts
D: egg salad of 1 HB egg and 1T mayo in a lettuce leaf
S: 2 CO candies
Calories 803, fat 91%, net carbs 4.8g, protein 10.3g

Here is another:
B: "Fat" coffee (described above)
L: 2 slices bacon and 8 olives
D: braunschwieger and mayo
S: CO candy
Calories 923, fat 91%, net carbs 6g, protein 14.2g

Hope this helps! If you google fat fast, you can find lots of recipes.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 17:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I am not a fan, mainly because I regained the pounds that I had lost in five days. But Dana Carpender has a fat fast recipe book in the works, http://www.carbsmart.com/fat-fastin...-i-thought.html. And as miz kitty says, google will find other recipes...I used a 'parfait' of cream cheese and macadamia nuts.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 18:32

I have wondered about that Janet, if I would regain what I lost once going back to my typical LC plan. I saw that book earlier and signed up for info on it's release. I also read Jimmy Moore's blog page on fat fasts and a lot of the comments. I'm strongly rethinking this fat fast the more I read on it. But I'm glad I posted this because it's got me to dig up all this info. And even provided a few good "meal" ideas from MizKitty if I do choose to do a fat fast now or later.

Earlier I mentioned my mother and her "meat & eggs" fasts... What she does now is a normal LC lifestyle, but does an IF every Monday. She just drinks water, tea, and broth, and an occasional Atkins shake. Though, she has encouraged me to do her meat & eggs diet to boost weight loss if I'd like.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 20:01
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I love fat fast for maintenance. If I get 2 or 3 pounds above my target weight, I'll do a fat fast day or 2 (have never done more than 2 consecutive days) and those pounds are gone! Works like magic.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-13, 04:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The meat and egg fast has fans on other low carb boards, not much different from the original Stillman diet which I did last August and reached a low which I have since decided is too low (there is a Challenge thread on Stillman if you want to read the program). That is interesting your Mom does IF one day a week...she was Paleo before IF became the hottest new thing
Someone I knew in the 70s fasted one day a week; I should have listened to her!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-13, 07:34

Plan: Atkins, Juddd, IF
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 5'5"
BF:23%
Progress: 100%

I'm planning to experiment with this for three days next week. Here's the menu I've worked up with 88% fat. I plan to do the same thing all three days.

Breakfast:
Coffee with 4 tbsp heavy cream
1 egg scrambled with 1 tbsp butter

Lunch:
1 egg scrambled with 1 tbsp butter

Dinner:
2 eggs scrambled with 1 tbsp butter

Snacks (2):
20 spanish olives each snack

(My Fitness Pal app says 20 olives is 100 calories and no carbs or protein.)

If you're interested, I'll let you know the result of the experiment.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-13, 03:53

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

The Fat fast Cookbook has lots of yummy combinations. I'm doing fat fast on down days with JUDDD. I am at the age where calories do count.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-13, 15:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270.5/251.5/170 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 19%

In my experience Spanish olives are 1 Carb per 5 olives for the small ones with the pimento. Good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 18:45

Plan: keto/paleo with IF 18/6
Stats: 215.0/198.6/175 Female 68
BF:yes
Progress: 41%
Default fat fast!

http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html

This page has some ideas that can be expanded upon. Some are really quite yummy! I bought Dana's e-book and there are some awesome ideas in there as well. And it works great, except I cannot do dairy anymore so I am looking at the meat and egg fast, with maybe some of the fat fast ideas thrown in for variety. I really want to make this my way of eating for several months. Grains and dairy are killing my stomach and it is not healing.

With my work schedule, I could not do the recommended 5 feedings spaced out.

My eating plan:

B: 2 travel mugs of coffee with splenda and heavy cream (1/4 c. per mug). I drank this from 8 am to noon, pacing it out so I would not get hungry. It was very effective!

L: 5 stuffed mushrooms; fat fast coleslaw (this kept me going until I could prepare something for dinner)

D: deviled eggs or fat bomb

My goal was 1000 to 1200 calories, 80-95% fat. Easy Peasy. This is a very simple way to eat, and very effective. Except for how the heavy cream and cream cheese affected my stomach. I was on an SCD diet for awhile before Christmas to try to heal my stomach (lots of chicken broth, chicken meat and carrots) and that worked but I got off track during the holidays. I want to find a way to incorporate my homemade broth into my daily menu, since it is such a healing food - like by adding ghee or coconut oil to up the fat.

I will be experimenting more with shirataki noodles, thanks to that book, for easy recipes that are a bit more substantial than 2 oz of cream cheese would be. Anything I can use as a vehicle to hold more mayo and ghee! And Dana explains how to make them taste good, so fingers crossed!!

If anyone wants a partner for a challenge or to help experiment, pm me!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-14, 12:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default 1 week on Fat Fast and still not weight loss

I have been doing the Fat Fast for a week and have not lost any weight or inches. I am 35 years, 5'2", current weight: 160 lbs, goal weight: 125-130 lbs

My daily meal plan as follows:
Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil with 4 slices nitrate free bacon. Tea with heavy cream and 1 Splenda.
Snack: 1 oz macadamia nuts
Lunch: 2 oz rib eye steak cooked in coconut oil with half avocado
Dinner: same as Lunch ( alternate between steak and chicken)

According to carb tracker app, this comes to 900 cals: 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs

I dont like gyms but I walk 3 miles 2X a week

Am I eating too little? I am so frustrated.