Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 19:09

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

His original question is specifically about the cereal.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 19:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia-b
I get it. When you're on a tight budget, throwing away that $3 cereal means you need to spend money on something else to eat. It's not just that the money's not coming back...it's about not spending more on food when you already have some in the house. And if you don't get that, you haven't experienced that kind of financial difficulty.

Well...I DO get that..I've been VERY poor in the past.

There's ALWAYS a way to recover that $3.00 rather than eat crap.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 19:49

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Thanks for the concern.

I am generally pretty good about maintaining my weight, even with the cereal. My interest is a little more general than this. I expect that I will be facing more carbs than I would like in my holiday travels. I just want to "insulate" myself by having the "right" amount of fat to go with it.
Glenn in Omaha

What I got, was that there is more to the questions than just saving money and not wasting the cereal. Basicly, what to eat to not gain with the carbs.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 21:25

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
What I got, was that there is more to the questions than just saving money and not wasting the cereal. Basicly, what to eat to not gain with the carbs.

It has always been about how much fat to eat when the carb amount was high (or, at least, higher than my new normal) -- such as when I have cereal. But then I had to defend why I didn't just throw the cereal out.

So I still need an answer to my original question--how much fat to eat. And I am getting two conflicting answers.

Thanks.
Glenn in Omaha
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 22:27

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I started to respond earlier, but I was of the opinion that you want to debate rather than get a real answer. However, I'll bite.

I think it is a matter of degree. If you eat a little quickly digested carbs, I think it is a good idea to eat some fat to slow the blood sugar rise, and the subsequent insulin response. It won't necessarily keep you from gaining fat, but will alleviate a tendency towards reactive hypoglycemia and a vicious cycle, which can result in storing EVEN MORE fat.

If you eat a significant number of carbs in one sitting, and for me, 25 carbs would qualify, it may well elicit a dramatic insulin response, resulting in fat storage.

I honestly think it has more to do with your body than any "rules". How carb tolerant or intolerant are YOU? Why don't YOU experiment with different combinations and report back?
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 08:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I started to respond earlier, but I was of the opinion that you want to debate rather than get a real answer. However, I'll bite.

I think it is a matter of degree. If you eat a little quickly digested carbs, I think it is a good idea to eat some fat to slow the blood sugar rise, and the subsequent insulin response. It won't necessarily keep you from gaining fat, but will alleviate a tendency towards reactive hypoglycemia and a vicious cycle, which can result in storing EVEN MORE fat.

If you eat a significant number of carbs in one sitting, and for me, 25 carbs would qualify, it may well elicit a dramatic insulin response, resulting in fat storage.

I honestly think it has more to do with your body than any "rules". How carb tolerant or intolerant are YOU? Why don't YOU experiment with different combinations and report back?

I DO want the real answer. I am not trolling for a fight.

My ongoing n=2 (my wife & I) experiment is to have a 1/2 cup of Fiber One with blueberries, 1/2 small banana, milk (me) or cream (her), and one slice of turkey bacon once a week. This is similar to what we would do when we ate low fat, except then, we did it 3 times a week. Oh, and I ate a double serving because I needed the fiber.

I don't notice any significant change in my weight since I added this to my diet after the induction phase. Like I said earlier, this is a high stress time for me (teaching), so I am happy to maintain my weight -- usually it goes up! So I would say that I am not too carb sensitive.

The teaching will end permanently in a few weeks, so I intend to improve my eating habits. But, we will be traveling a lot (and I still want to finish up the cereal!) So I expect there will be a few (several) higher carb meals in my future. A self-experiment is fine, but is there any science to guide me?

Thanks,
Glenn in Omaha
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 13:09

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Feed your cereal to the birds. Isn't Fiber One the cereal that looks like sticks and twigs?

Grains are so useless.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 19:37

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by femur
Feed your cereal to the birds. Isn't Fiber One the cereal that looks like sticks and twigs?

Grains are so useless.

Actually Fiber One Cereal is absolutely outragiousely high priced. I used to eat it back when I was doing low calorie. "Healthy foods" tend to be outragiousely prices, not Glenns fault there.

Personally, if I were to plan a higher carb meal, I would try to get protien in with it and nix any fat.

I very seldom get planned carb meals, for me they are me, falling face first into the ice cream and chocolate. I've done CDK though, and that is something they really push. On the carb up say, stay very limited on fats so theres not as much to store when the insulin is spiking.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-12, 22:18

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I think you are assuming that the advice to eat fat (or protein) with your carbs is to keep from gaining weight. I think it is more to prevent insulin spikes, which can lead to cravings and overeating.

If you are going to eat more carbs, I think you would do well to eat fewer calories that day (you may no longer have the metabolic advantage said to occur while eating low carb). I think that metabolic advantage is estimated to be ~300 calories per day. If you are eating more carbs, I think you simply balance your meals the way you did before low carb - however that might have been.

Were you heavier then? Did you lose the weight eating low carb? Something to consider in your calculations.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 22:37

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

If you are going to eat sugar, eat some protein too. Insulin shuts off the use of fat for fuel, and assists in the consumption of protein. If you have protein in your diet at the time the body won't tear down your existing muscle. Per gnolls.org on why snacking makes you weak

Last edited by leebase : Fri, Nov-30-12 at 10:21.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 08:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
If you are going to eat sugar, eat some protein too. Insulin shuts off the use of fat for fuel, and assists in the consumption of protein. If you have protein in your diet at the time the body won't tear down your existing muscle. Per goll.org on why snacking makes you weak

Thanks. That makes sense to me.

Glenn in Omaha
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 10:23

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

#28   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 14:17