Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 03:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default The real struggle

Oh boy. This is the time of year when the "treats" really start piling up in the break room.

I live in a Northern/Alpine climate; nothing like a few frosts to get the body saying "Stoke that furnace!" So, here's how I cope:
  • I bring my legal treats. Some, like the Paleo mini cheesecakes, others like too. This lets me share!
  • If something is really calling me, I make a low carb version.
  • My craving can be fixed with a cup of coffee and some coconut oil.

This is also the time of year my co-workers marvel at my willpower. But no matter how many times I tell them the truth, they don't believe me.

But the key to it is: this stuff is off the table. Literally.

If we think about it, we realize the struggle comes from debating with ourself over eating it. That's the tormenting part!

If we simply decide we don't eat that any more, the struggle is gone. We've said goodbye, we realize it's not worth it.

Once we have the void, we can fill it. Pretending we can still have it... that's the struggle part.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 07:40

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Quote:
If we simply decide we don't eat that any more, the struggle is gone. We've said goodbye, we realize it's not worth it.

Once we have the void, we can fill it. Pretending we can still have it... that's the struggle part.

This.

I was fortunate to reach that stage around this time last year. I actually had a bowl of Halloween treats sitting on my desk for people to take, and I wasn't even interested in them. Now people bring in treats and put them on the counter in the kitchen and I'm not tempted at all. Once I made the decision in my heart that I DON'T eat that stuff, suddenly it because much easier.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 07:54
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Thanks, great post.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 09:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/150/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great post!!

For me, it was accepting that the rationalization of "just one bite" doesn't work! I don't kid myself anymore.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 09:29

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

WereBear, another wonderful post and exactly what I needed to read tonight...as I sip my tea with coconut oil, trying NOT to think about what I would normally be eating right now.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 09:30

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Great post. One bite doesn't work because I need more and I'm not going there. I'm still not going to have the stuff sitting around haunting. I don't like having ghosts from the past, especialy recent ones.

BF has a box that he locks all the holloween candy in. He divies it out to the kids on a nightly basis till they start forgetting about it. Then its his and after a while, he forgets its in the closet too

I am not going to eat candy at Holloween. I am not eating desserts at Thanksgiving and Christmas. There is no exceptions to this, I'm not talking myself out of anything. I simply am not doing it, the stuff is harmful to me, like antifreese to a dog. Not pretty!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 11:51

Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Werebear, thanks for the post. You expressed my attitude to a 't'. I'm not as tempted because I just don't eat that anymore. Sometimes have to get firm with people who will suggest they cut a small piece of cake for me, etc. But it gets easier to say no the more times I say no. If that makes sense, lol!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 17:44

Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Great post!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-12, 10:00

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Werebear: Totally agree with all you said. I've had 18 glorious months of freedom from that particular struggle.

Here's the thing, though: this week the struggle reared it's ugly head again and I've been craving BREAD. Bread was crack to me my whole life, so wanting it again has scared the sh** out of me. In the past I've said that I'm not interested in substituting low carb versions of high carb foods, mostly because I fear I'd use them as an excuse to inch my way towards the real thing eventually. However, this bread craving has me so worried that I'm going over to the recipe section today to look for bread substitutes I can make. I don't know what's causing the craving. The change in weather, maybe?

Anyway, thanks for your post. It was particularly appropriate for me to read it today.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-12, 10:42
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care

Great post, Werebear! My family can't understand why I cannot eat that junk "just today" or "only around the holidays" but for me it is just as you said: that stuff is totally off the table. Thanks, we really need this going into the holiday season!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-12, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: The Vegetarian Low-Carb
Stats: 187/149/144 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default very good post

I wish I had read this a few days ago. I got through Halloween okay. I didn't really crave the candy, but someone made homemade pumpkin pie and that was very hard to resist. I deeply appreciate homemade foods made from fresh ingredients.

I'm a baker and I love seeing people eat my treats, but I haven't managed to figure out LC baking at all. It all tastes weird and I would never, ever serve it. Baking is such a big part of my identify too. I don't cook well so I never make meals for people, but I can bake well.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-12, 13:04

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan

I'm a baker and I love seeing people eat my treats, but I haven't managed to figure out LC baking at all. It all tastes weird and I would never, ever serve it. Baking is such a big part of my identify too. I don't cook well so I never make meals for people, but I can bake well.

LC baking can be tricky, and bread and biscuity things seem to be a matter of individual taste, but sweet treats can excellent.

Three of my favorite blogs are All Day I Dream About Food, Healthy Indulgences, and Maria's Nutritious and Delicious Journal.

Cakes, for example:

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/20...bundt-cake.html

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/201...with-cream.html

http://healthyindulgences.net/2009/...ith-a-secret-2/

I especially like these 3 bloggers because they match my preference in sweeteners but there are a lot more people out there sharing recipes and tips including here in the kitchen section.

What has tasted weird about what you've tried? Sometimes it is a matter of brands or other choices making a big difference.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-12, 00:48
Registered Member

Plan: The Vegetarian Low-Carb
Stats: 187/149/144 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Most of the desserts taste too eggy

I've tried some of the cheese cake recipes and chocolate mousse made from tofu and a chocolate muffin made from almonds. I used Stevia and I couldn't stand the aftertaste. So then I tried not using any Stevia (for the cheese cakes) and then they were just eggy. The chocolate mousse was fairly disgusting too. I've gone over to the recipe area and I'll try playing around with some of those. I have yet to find a non-sugar sweetener that suits me however. I always taste it, always.

Do any of you remember those horrendous Atkin's chocolate bars from the 1990s? They were brittle and had the grossest aftertaste! That's what baked Stevia tastes like to me. And all the others. I've experimented with Nutrisweet too and Splenda.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-12, 19:08

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Swerve is my favorite sweetener. Ever tried that one? Before I discovered Swerve, it was Zsweet. Swerve seems easier to work with, as it dissolves better and bakes better. It also comes in confectioner's style.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 11:56

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thank you for this post!