Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 04:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Lab Rats on a Quest #8

Good Morning,

We've hit the limit in the last thread, so welcome to #8! We're coming from:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=444485

We are a gabby bunch of lab rats seeking what works for us on our health and weight loss journeys. Welcome to the new laboratory, Feel free to join in!
Many of us are on some version of low carb Atkins, often finding more success keeping total carbs low rather than counting net carbs. Some are now trying the Whole 30 Program, which in addition to eliminating grains, sugar, and processed seed oils, also eliminates dairy. Reading of success already with that program and love all the updates.

Yesterday, I picked up a copy of Well-Fed by Melissa Joulwan through ILL. She doesn't have a large number of recipes, but provides many variations of the basic ones. Every recipe except one dessert is Whole30 approved. She also has her recipe and tips for making olive oil mayo in the book, with a link to her website video. So if anyone wants to see how to "dribble" oil correctly for the perfect mayo, here's the place to go: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.co...o-how-to-video/

Her website has many more delicious Paleo recipes:
http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/recipes-index/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 04:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

How To Lose Weight

Dr. Eenfeldt has only published two parts of his new 17 part series, but I can see it becoming another "classic".

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lo...ht-part-1-of-17

It seems that it takes someone whose native language is not English to explain a idea clearly and succinctly. I will likely wait until he has collected all 17 of them into one tab at the top of his website, but then email it to everyone who would benefit.
In the meantime, if I have to send just one website page to explain how I eat and why, it is still this:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 05:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/126.4/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Janj
Hope your mom had a wonderful Happy 98th Birthday! Wow! I hope I still have my mom at 98. So far my mom is in good health but only 82.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 06:25

Stats: 156/126.4/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
How To Lose Weight

In the meantime, if I have to send just one website page to explain how I eat and why, it is still this:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

GREAT SUMMARY!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 06:36
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Good morning everyone

Thanks for starting the new thread Janet. And thanks for the links.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 06:46

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good morning

Thanks for the links Jey....

I have not a darn thing to say this morning so will check in later .

Have a nice Sunday...........
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 06:48

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

Thanks for starting the new thread, JEY. Not being very techie, I'm not sure I would have done it properly.

The birthday party was lovely. Thank you for the well wishes for my Mom. She adores being surrounded by family. Everyone had a lovely time and the red cabbage slaw from "Practical Paleo" was a huge hit though I made it with cashews instead of macadamias. And the mushroom leek quiche I made with coconut milk was tasty and helped me avoid all the carby stuff. Yesterday was day 27 of W30, so I surely didn't want to mess up!

Pam: I can imagine you were surprised at the changes in the neighborhood around Hopkins when you made your return visit. The homes on Broadway were originally built by the well-to-do but over the years they were split into apartments and the neighborhood slid downhill. Since Hopkins is always expanding (it is quite mindboggling, really) they have purchased and torn down a # of such homes to make way for new construction.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 06:50

Hi Becky! Hi Serea!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 06:51
Registered Member

Plan: ANA
Stats: 200/180/170 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 67%

I've a question for ye ladies.

The severity of the lupus is kicking up a notch again & I need to reign my immune system in. So I am tightening up again. Not quite induction but certainly under 20 nc again.

I'm back on the higher painkillers & they really trigger cravings & impulsive behaviour. I had a cigarette yesterday for the first time in forever & I also bought a bag of oven chips (fries to ye). It is a battle ALL the time. I know it is the meds but I am finding it a struggle right now. I'm thinking I need to choose my battles wisely if I want to win the war, so...

Is the main reason that nuts & seeds are limited in induction purely because people have a problem with portion control?

I like my seeds - a lot. Sesame, sunflower & pumpkin. Portion control isn't an issue as I weigh them out into baggies & cartons every few days. Also i have a load of peanutbutter. The proper stuff, & I was thinking I would make some bread & slice (portion) & freeze it. I am hoping the odd open sandwich will curb these obsessive cravings.

Sorry, I know this is a 101 question but I can't get my head around anything at the moment..

Big waves to all :-)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 07:21

Plan: ECLECTIC LC-MFP
Stats: 321/182/196 Male 72
BF:ABDOMINABLY?!
Progress: 111%
Cool

Howdy quick note and a fly by to subscribe. Hi all...

Second Stasis day and my wt loss seems to be less regular, but still with weigh in tomorrow for mtn thread I'm at a 2# loss for the week. If I can get another pound tomorrow I'll be back on my Ruhl goal, but if not I'll take 2#/wk until I get to goal. I still feel 'fat' and think I may need to lose some more to get rid of the remaining belly flab and to reach 'Normal' bmi. Just hate being labeled overweight (nearly as much as I hated obese, but not near as much as morbidly obese)!!!

Eliza - Could be but I just ration out my nuts in half oz portions and try not to eat between meals. If my cals are low for the day I get an after dinner treat to bring up protein/carbs. I'd go easy on them, and see how your body reacts. If you can't control portions, cold turkey is my favorite way to limit those items I should not have, but are just too tempting once you start with them. Applies to other unhealthy habits too....
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizaa
I've a question for ye ladies.

The severity of the lupus is kicking up a notch again & I need to reign my immune system in. So I am tightening up again. Not quite induction but certainly under 20 nc again.

I'm back on the higher painkillers & they really trigger cravings & impulsive behaviour. I had a cigarette yesterday for the first time in forever & I also bought a bag of oven chips (fries to ye). It is a battle ALL the time. I know it is the meds but I am finding it a struggle right now. I'm thinking I need to choose my battles wisely if I want to win the war, so...

Is the main reason that nuts & seeds are limited in induction purely because people have a problem with portion control?

I like my seeds - a lot. Sesame, sunflower & pumpkin. Portion control isn't an issue as I weigh them out into baggies & cartons every few days. Also i have a load of peanutbutter. The proper stuff, & I was thinking I would make some bread & slice (portion) & freeze it. I am hoping the odd open sandwich will curb these obsessive cravings.

Sorry, I know this is a 101 question but I can't get my head around anything at the moment..

Big waves to all :-)

In the oc it was always said that portion control was exactly the reason nuts were limited. They weren't allowed in induction at all.

Peanut butter, isn't a nut, of course, but a legume, so I'd definitely stay away from it, especially since the oils and processing methods are likely not good for you particularly in a flare up. Your method of portioning out nuts sounds like a reasonable plan to me. What sort of bread were you planning on making?

Question: Am I correct that lupus a disease of inflammation? If so, keeping carbs low is smart but I also understand your wanting to work around the induced cravings in some satisfying way to avoid eating badly. Can you buy pork rinds in Dublin? They have been a go to food when I've wanted something snacky/crunchy/salty. I also find that strong tasting food (like a hot salsa or a sour pickle) stems cravings for me for a time.

Let us know how you are doing.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 07:50

GL-
The reason I started working out is that I still have "fat" even though my body weight is well into a normal range. I decided that I wasn't going to get where I wanted to be without focusing on the sort of exercise that would build muscle. It is certainly a "lab experiment" for me and is, unfortunately, a slow process.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 08:37

Plan: ECLECTIC LC-MFP
Stats: 321/182/196 Male 72
BF:ABDOMINABLY?!
Progress: 111%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjfree
GL-
The reason I started working out is that I still have "fat" even though my body weight is well into a normal range. I decided that I wasn't going to get where I wanted to be without focusing on the sort of exercise that would build muscle. It is certainly a "lab experiment" for me and is, unfortunately, a slow process.

Hmmm... KNOW I should, but just enjoy the walks now. Machines & wt and all that other stuff just doesn't interest me much. DD even offered me her rowing machine she can't use because of her back. I also figured if I tried to build muscle before I lost the fat I'd end up with muscle with a fat coating over it. Particularly belly wise. Maybe domani....
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 09:35

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Good morning, ya’ll,

Thanks for establishing the new thread, Janet. Like JanJ, I wouldn’t know how to do it. Also, I’ll add my kudos to Dr. Eenfeldt. He’s just terrific.

Hi to Pam, Becky, Serea, GL, and Elizaa -- and anyone else who might be lurking.

Elizaa, I have an autoimmune disease, too, and LCHF has made a very dramatic difference. I haven’t had a flare-up since a few months after I started this WOE. I was on a high dose of prednisone (the only drug that would control it) for 14 years, and this diet enabled me to get the dosage down very gradually, and hopefully, I can eliminate it completely by the end of the year. It really pays to be as vigilant as you can.

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: ANA
Stats: 200/180/170 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks for the tips :-)

Jan, yes, Lupus is a disease of chronic inflammation & also can be used s an umbrella diagnoses for a host of auto immune system dis orders. I was first diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid Arthritis) then Chrons & Ulcerated Colitis, then systemic tendonitis & then it moved into the vascular system. Unfortunately each system it moved into we also later discovered congenital defects in most of them. So this week I have been having a lot of pain, inflammation & TIAs.

Low carbing is the only option for me. I don't have a choice & luckily I like it & have been doing it very long term. Because I naturally tend towards tendonitis I really have to be militant with both nutrition & meds so portioning & logging isn't an issue. I just do it :-)

Bummer on the peanutbutter. I have 4 kilo tubs LOL

The bread I was going to make was just peanut butter, eggs, vinegar, salt & baking soda. It is very dense & I make a treble batch & use the electric slicer on it to slice thinkly & freeze. I like it :-)

http://247lowcarbdiner.blogspot.ie/...wich-bread.html
Closed Thread