Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 06:16

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile New Eades post (at last) - AMPK

Surprised I'm the first to find this - sounds very promising...

Can your food make you fit

Last edited by dan_rose : Wed, Aug-22-12 at 06:27.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 06:57
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 07:06

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Very exciting! Reading this made me happy

Thank you for posting!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 09:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks. I'm always interested in reading about new studies as presented by knowledgeable interpreters. The Drs. Eades are often helpful.

Still, it's a curiosity that huge headlines (especially about weight management) are often generated from scientific studies so limited. I mean: so few people, so little time, such modest parameters.

Clearly, this particular study did not make the headlines. But where are the long-term studies (one to five years) of true low-carb adherents? Anybody have a link? I guess it's hard to get funding, even for so great a crisis as obesity.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 13:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

Just read it and soooo excited! Hope more study is done soon. I am sure they would get volunteers from here if they asked!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 15:37

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Eades is always one of the best at explaining things, he needs to get his arse in gear and start posting more.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 20:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindke
Eades is always one of the best at explaining things, he needs to get his arse in gear and start posting more.

I so agree.... I really look for his blogs and his blogs are as rare as mine! lol
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 20:32

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

I like Eades too. I know he's changed his mind on a few things in the past, and he's never been afraid to say so. I respect that.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 20:53
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Oh, well the take-home message in all this IMO:
Quote:
they had found the same enzymatic changes in the blood from the patients who weren't trying to restrict calories but were simply following a low-carb diet.
The same effect could be found with intermittent fasting, and it may be more pronounced.
Quote:
He told them that they had not followed academic protocol, they hadn't gone through an institutional review board, and had no business doing an off the books experiment using the institute's [sic] equipment. They got the lecture about how they put the institution at risk and how they could be fired ...
been there, done that with a cancer experiment I did with some spare lab rats -- good thing I was working in Civil Service at the time.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 05:13

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Numerous studies have shown health and longevity benefits from eating less and exercising, though these prescriptions are tough to stick with for the long haul. If this is true, and I believe it is, then the body is better off health-wise to be in a battery-draining state more of the time than in a battery-charging state.

Maybe, but a very famous study showed that eating less is very bad for us. I'm referring to the Ancel Keys semi-starvation study of course. So if there's a benefit from semi-starvation to AMPK, it comes with a high price indeed. Stick to low-carb.

As for which mode the body functions better in, it's obvious to me. We eat discrete meals at regular intervals, and nothing in between for long periods. It follows that the body must rely on its internal batteries most of the time, therefore should function better this way. I didn't need to look at AMPK to see this, but it's quite obvious that whatever we look at internally, we'll find that it all works better in-between meals when it relies exclusively on batteries. I could even argue that the body relies exclusively on batteries all of the time through several mechanisms that shuttle fuel from the gut to the batteries directly without passing go, without collecting 200, then from those batteries, the rate of release and fuel delivery is tightly regulated by the hormones and enzymes that are called upon according to demand. In essence, the human body works just like a car. We pour lots of fuel in a short amount of time in the tank, but release it at a tightly regulated rate to supply the engine.

To answer the question, yes food can make us fit, but only if we're not fit to begin with. This means, if we're already eating food, more food won't do much to make us more fit, more food will just continue to keep us fit.

I thought this would illustrate much better the whole idea:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=445468

Runs better on batteries, makes you fit.

Last edited by M Levac : Thu, Aug-23-12 at 05:37.