Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:44
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Janet, are you doing non-fat Greek yogurt at all? (I can't always remember who is okay eating what.) I'm thinking a bit of that in the tuna would be fine, and wouldn't add much in the way of carbs, either - if it's something you can eat in small amounts without issue.

Last edited by Labhrain : Thu, Aug-02-12 at 10:53.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Oh, I'm with you there Janet. I have a very hard time eating canned fish in water. Usually avoid it when I cannot add mayo. Lab's idea is good though, yogurt might help. I usually avoid dairy, I am not sure yet it agrees with me, lol.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:55
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

JEY, I've been eating canned chicken (which is my replacement for the dreaded tuna) and instead of mayo I've been concocting my own dressing of Maple Groves Farms sugar-free, fat-free raspberry vinaigrette mixed with some spicy mustard. It's something I can tolerate. It's a bit of frankenfood with the dressing, but so is no-fat mayonnaise. You may still do well with the mayo.

As for giving up fat entirely.....ain't gonna happen unless I stall. Cream in my first cup of coffee and my last cup at night are my only treat and satisfy me to the core. That hot cup of coffee makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. My percentage of fat is running between 43-55% on any given day depending on what meat choices I make. Beef and chicken run on the lower spectrum but pork kicks it up. I've noticed my calories are lower on those days so it all evens out, I guess.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 11:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

MMmm, that vinaigrette with mustard sounds good . The lowfat greek yogurt sounds good too .. maybe add a squeeze of lemon juice plus a bit of dijon mustard and a sprinkle of dried dill weed.

#80   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 11:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yogurt? am I eating it today? maybe not after those higher blood sugar readings I was thinking I would eliminate it, but that is a good idea to moisten the tuna. And I may have to break-down and buy something like the Maple Grove dressing...so much for being Primal..for this week anyway.
Thanks for the ideas...because plain was truly awful, but tuna is very filling to me.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 11:43
Real food!

BF:

The tuna is very filling, isn't it? I find the same thing. A little goes a long way. I do want to try the canned chicken, though, as well.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 11:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

Here's a creamy mayonnaise-like sauce for those who are avoiding dairy products. The ingredients are all Stillman-friendly

I copied this onto an index card decades ago, but neglected to write where I got it from.
I *think* it's from some ladies' magazine my mom bought at the grocery store

2 boiled eggs
2 tsp cider vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
dash each onion powder, salt & pepper
water, if needed

Coarsely chop the eggs and put into a blender. Add vinegar, lemon juice and mustard; purée until smooth. Add a little water if it's too thick. Add a dash of onion powder, plus salt & pepper to taste. Cover and chill for at least an hour for flavors to blend. Use within 2 days.

#83   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:32
It's Only Food!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain
I do want to try the canned chicken, though, as well.

Don't get excited. Tastes like tuna.....to me.

Doreen, I can see that working. It's sort of like egg salad but all mushed up.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:35
Real food!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
Don't get excited. Tastes like tuna.....to me.

Hmmm...everything "tastes like chicken"...except canned chicken.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:36
It's Only Food!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain
Hmmm...everything "tastes like chicken"...except canned chicken.

Yeah, it's true! Maybe it's the can that gives it a tuna flavor to me.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Canned chicken! Wow!
Clean again for me today - see what happens. <crosses fingers>
Scrambled egg, chicken, boiled egg, chicken, can of tuna, boiled eggs. Groan.

I know that I for one certainly can't include cottage cheese if I want to lose anything so I am going to assume yog would be the same, though I must say I am quite partial to Fage Total 0% Greek yogurt which is the only true Greek yog you can get in the UK I believe. It's high protein and v low carb and also v expensive at about £3.40 a tub.
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 19:34
Real food!

BF:

Good going, Dita, and another clean day.

I am finishing out my day at 1175 kcals. I'm full right now, so I don't think I'll want to eat again before dinner. I'm finding that to be the case on Stillman. I typically don't feel like having a snack after dinner.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 19:39
Real food!

BF:

I am still craving salt, despite not being new at all to low carb. I was eating very low carb before going to Stillman. You'd think I wouldn't be having salt cravings.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 01:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I can't think of anything to help with salt cravings - I've never had them, but I know once I'm a couple of weeks in I het leg cramps at night from lack of salt and any more than a lick of salt causes me to gain water weight.
I get sugar cravings around my TOM. I can sort this though with a swig of Pepsi Max - I love the stuff but would ideally like to kick the habit as it is pretty bad for you.

My calorie amount is coming out very similar to yours - I rarely feel hungry but I find the habit of eating hard to break ie- eating because it's time to. I also find chicken doesn't satisfy me as long as say beef mince or tuna, which is a shame as I love chicken. Does anyone else find this? I agree tuna is very filling.
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 03:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This morning was a week on a Stillman/Dukan type diet for me. It has been rather easy to follow (other than that plain tuna) and I have lost 3.5 pounds. Today is also about the day two years ago I started low carb eating, which certainly has been higher in fat than this past week. I have not had a problem with hunger on low carb, but have been bouncing around 169 since early December, the breakpoint into a “healthy BMI” for me. I had wanted to reach 160 where some clothes would fit better with thinner thighs, but recently put that dream goal on hold. I read in your sixties you lose the hip and thigh fat and get a meno-pot, however, my hormones either have not yet sent this message or my thighs are refusing to listen. My waist is also a half inch smaller since last measured but I exercise heavily in the summer with intense core work, so hard to determine the reason.

In the past few weeks though, I had been above 169 with a bit too much wine, Pimm's and yummy fats, like coconut and almond butter. I hit 175 two weeks ago and panicked, but got back to 169.5 in one week just by doing Dr. Westman's plan. Then decided to give it a go again for 160, and started Stillman at 169.5 last Friday and today am 166, where I have been for three days. The diet really does curb hunger for me, especially MWFs when I do a 7:15 power water aerobics class. No way I can eat before that intense routine, and when home I have not been hungry until noon. So those days I have had only two meals and reduced calories, but every day has been much lower in calories versus the previous week. This week I have averaged 881 calories, with 118g. of protein, 37 g. of fat, and 17 g. (14 net) of carbs.

I took one blood ketone reading last week showing I already had been in nutritional ketosis on Westman's plan. I have also been taking many ketone urine tests (using up a bottle about to expire) and seem to go in and out of ketosis by this test. Certainly following extra water consumption there is none shown, nor upon awakening, but beyond that have found no pattern to urine ketosis tests. I am turning those useless little sticks darker purple and more often than ever before in the two previous years, but have found no pattern to them other than the carbs are basically zero on Stillman and lower than before.

Pleased with this loss and will stay on it at least until next Tuesday when I am officially weighed at a doctor's (alas in the late afternoon...and I pick about 4 pounds during the day). My new goal is to be lower than the 169 at the last check in June.
Glad I decided to try low fat for a while...it appears to be just the temporary nudge needed to burn some more body fat, instead of maintaining for so many months with 60% dietary fats. By the way, last August I lost 6 pounds in eight days following the Dukan attack phase. I kept all those off and just continued losing slowly with LC at 20g TC. So I plan to “own” any lost pounds on this short-term diet and maybe reach my original goal???

Lab, we the taste of pink Himalayan salt..put it on everything. It's in Trader Joe's in a grinder for a good price, though we use so much now. I buy large bags and re-fill the grinder.

Dita, why do you say you can't lose with cottage cheese and yogurt? It's the only thing creamy left on this diet!

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-03-12 at 04:05.