Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

((Thanks, Serea, for your explanation, too. Not only the cantaloupes but figs are in season now, and I love them. I have both figs and cherries. I can't go to the grocery just yet, but my neighbor graciously shops for me. Once a year, I don’t think is too much to eat some lovely seasonal fruit.))

Yes Sherri...that is the way I handle it for the last few years...I enjoy the in season local fruits and be done with it. It works for me.

Hope that your situpon is getting better....would one of those doughnut things work for you.

And....yes, you should be calling your doctor about the bp meds and not fiddling about on your own.....
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 08:56

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 182/142/125 Female 5'
BF:35.4
Progress: 70%

Sherry, I totally forgot the avatar. I'll have to put some thought into that.

Bambi, I am having a really hard time reducing the protein down to the acceptable limit. In fact, I'm not sure I want to go that low. My thought is that, if we have to limit calories to create a deficit, what difference does it make if my numbers are higher than they're supposed to be, especially since I'm on target with my carbs? We only have three macronutrients, so if I don't eat carbs, there really isn't anyplace else to go!

By the way, Bambi, you "sound" so relaxed these days - the stress -- or lack of stress, I should say -- is palpable.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 09:08

Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Looked at the book link Jey. My, can't believe how emotional I get even looking at what it is about. Thought it might be a good read but I am still too raw.

Four months ago today, my mom passed. Visions pop up at the strangest times. Yes, I am still seeking a counselor. Still in the process of getting added on to Hubby's health insurance, right now covered for emergencies but not the whole shebang, so will qualify at the end of the month.

It was so painful. At least I am not crying everyday. I just hope more comes out about dementia and the real picture is shown. I just detest the commercials about the TEMPORARY(they hardly touch on that, if at all) drugs they have available, that really help nothing.

Sorry, I can go on and on about it.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 10:27
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I found an interesting letter to a group of physicians (cardiologists) from Dr. Jeffry Gerber, a Colorado physician who promotes the low carbohydrate diet. Here is the URL to the letter: http://denversdietdoctor.com/dr_ger...ardiologist.pdf

I found this section interesting:

Quote:
After the war [WWII] it appears that popular opinion, the government, money and industry were the predominant forces shaping nutrition.

During this time the food industry focused on the notion of a balanced diet” being absolutely necessary for health, or at least the best way to hedge against vitamin or mineral deficiencies. (It also guaranteed each segment of the food industry would have a market for its goods, which was indeed a stated goal of the Harvard nutritionists who were most responsible in the 1940s for pushing the concept of a balanced diet in the U.S.) The lipid hypothesis, low fat and low calorie became popular and supported the continued production of inexpensive grains, soy legumes and sugar, mostly refined and processed.

I bolded the section that really caught my eye here. I wasn't aware that there was a stated goal to make sure that all food manufacturing areas would get a market share when nutritional recommendations were being put together. It's no surprise, but I guess I didn't realize that it wasn't just an undertone, but an actual stated goal in developing these recommendations.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 11:38

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Zoo. I feel a thousand pounds lighter!! Moving to my family, finally working on making a house a home, getting away from sister, and yes, my mom passing has so lightened the load.

This new chapter is taking some getting used too but is exciting.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 11:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Oh, Bambi. I am sorry that brought back memories...meant that for GL with the hopes it painted a more balanaced picture than the caregiving books which were often grim. You seem to be doing well but glad that you can get full health coverage if you want to talk. I hope that more comes out about the cause of dementia since I think they may be chasing the wrong idea now. Alternate theories appear to be shut down and not get any research...does that sound familar on a low carb board? Let's all keep eating good fats for now.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 14:44

BF:
Progress:

That's okay Janet. I thought it looked like an interesting read, not realizing it would bring a reaction. Yes, all the theories are mostly, if not all, crap. They have no idea what the causes are. And it does remind me of everything out there about diet and food.

"Eat this....no don't eat this" " Do it this way,....no don't do it this way...." It makes me crazy sometimes. As far as dementia goes, I don't think most people get what it is and what it does. I didn't until I had to live with it.

I agree Zoo about the protein stuff. I am on day 4. Still with a "wait and see" attitude. I don't know if this is sustainable or not. So far, I am not ready to shove everything I see into my mouth!!!

And I'm not going to freak if I overdo a bit on fats or protein.Although fats are far trickier for me than proteins. What I am liking, is tracking. It's just been way to easy to grab a handful of this or that and not realize it has an impact. Like walk by the fridge and grab some olives or deli meat or walk by the cabinet and grab some sunflower seeds. It does add up.
I like being more conscious of what I am doing.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 15:03

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookeeper2
Ok, I have to ask: what exactly is a troll, anyway?

In Michigan, a "troll" is someone who lives "below the bridge"--in the lower peninsula--south of the Mackinac Bridge, vs. someone who lives above the bridge, in the Upper Peninsula (the U.P.).
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 15:15

Plan: ECLECTIC LC-MFP
Stats: 321/182/196 Male 72
BF:ABDOMINABLY?!
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Oh, Bambi. I am sorry that brought back memories...meant that for GL with the hopes it painted a more balanaced picture than the caregiving books which were often grim. You seem to be doing well but glad that you can get full health coverage if you want to talk. I hope that more comes out about the cause of dementia since I think they may be chasing the wrong idea now. Alternate theories appear to be shut down and not get any research...does that sound familar on a low carb board? Let's all keep eating good fats for now.
Thank you for thinking of me, but I'm really trying hard to focus on other things to keep from obsessing on things I'm trying not to think about. It's getting a bit hard to concentrate and I've really fallen behind in my reading as it is. The board here does provide a welcome diversion and I thank you all for your support and recommendations.

DW's Fajita's tonite and I've saved up enough cals/protein to really enjoy myself. Sooo, getting ready to 'stuff' myself...
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 16:03

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 182/142/125 Female 5'
BF:35.4
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia-b
In Michigan, a "troll" is someone who lives "below the bridge"--in the lower peninsula--south of the Mackinac Bridge, vs. someone who lives above the bridge, in the Upper Peninsula (the U.P.).

Aha. I thought it had to have something to do with a bridge, but I'd never heard that before. Thanks!
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 16:29
Low carb since 2003

Plan: DADR 1972 version Atkins
Stats: 193/149/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Yep. Ya gotcher "Yoopers" - in the UP, yer "Fudgies" - on Mackinac Island, and yer "Trolls"... I'm be a Troll.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 16:45

BF:

#88   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 05:55
Keto Lab Rat

Plan: Low carb...WB detox...IF
Stats: 240/201.8/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:The Lab Rats :-)
Progress: 42%

Good morning!

Sherri, I haven't had that piece of toast for several months now. A taste just doesn't taste all that good anymore. I like to eat fruit in season as well, but sometimes to have a problem with portion control, but I'm still going to have some now and then this summer.

I started the calculator again yesterday, but trying to do it from memory rather than tracking. I would rather not do tracking all the time once I hit maintenance full time so I thought it was a good time to experiment.

Off to Regina again for the day to finish up the stuff on the truck that they didn't get to last week.

Hope your day is wonderful!
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 06:14

BF:

Good morning
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-12, 06:49

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63