Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 09:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Hormone 'Ratio' May Show Which Dieters Will Keep Weight Off

Study found measuring the ratio of leptin and ghrelin helped predict success

link to article
Quote:
Hormone 'Ratio' May Show Which Dieters Will Keep Weight Off

By Kathleen Doheny
HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, June 26 (HealthDay News) -- Losing weight, as any dieter knows, is often the easy part. Keeping it off can be the bigger challenge.

Now Spanish researchers say they have come up with a formula to predict who might be most likely to succeed: Measuring the ratio between the levels of two hormones that regulate weight before a diet begins can predict who might regain the lost pounds later.

Figuring out an individual dieter's chances of success could help experts tailor a weight-loss program to a patient's particular hormonal makeup and hopefully combat their tendency to regain weight, said Ana Crujeiras Martinez, an obesity researcher at the University Hospital of Santiago de Compostela.

Martinez looked at leptin, a hormone made by cells found in fat tissues that tells the body when it has had enough to eat. She also looked at ghrelin, the so-called hunger hormone.

"We have previously demonstrated that patients who regained the lost weight induced by an eight-week diet have different levels of leptin and ghrelin before the beginning of the dietary program than those who maintained the lost body weight," she said. "These results suggest the existence of two different populations of patients according to the leptin and ghrelin levels, which could condition the outcomes."

In the new study, the researchers looked at the leptin/ghrelin ratio as a tool to identify those more likely to regain lost weight.

In the study, Martinez evaluated 88 overweight or obese men and women with an average age of 35.

The subjects fasted and then gave blood samples so their leptin and ghrelin levels could be measured, and then followed a reduced-calorie diet for eight weeks. Their weight losses during that period were recorded. Following up six months later, the researchers found that 40 patients had regained the weight and 48 had not.

Before the diet, those who regained the weight had a ratio of leptin to ghrelin that was two times higher than those who did not.

The researchers also identified cut-off points, which predicted more than 60 percent of the time which patients would regain 10 percent or more of the initial lost weight.

"Leptin and ghrelin are two hormones that are usually measured in a regular clinical laboratory," Martinez said. "Therefore, any doctor can order the measurement of these hormones and then calculate the ratio of leptin to ghrelin."

She presented the findings Sunday at the Endocrine Society's annual meeting in Houston.

Dr. Richard Atkinson, a longtime obesity researcher at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, said, "This is interesting from a research perspective, but it is not going to be useful for dieters."

Because the test identified only about 60 percent of those who would regain weight, he says it is "hardly better than flipping a coin, and is expensive to boot."

"It may lead to more research that may allow better prediction of responders versus non-responders," he said. At the moment, however, he does not see it as a major advance.

Doctors have known for some time that leptin and ghrelin are both important in regulating obesity, he noted.

Data and conclusions presented at meetings should be viewed as preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

SOURCES: Ana Crujeiras Martinez, Ph.D., researcher, University Hospital of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compestela, Spain; Richard Atkinson, M.D., clinical professor, pathology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond; June 24, 2012, presentation, Endocrine Society annual meeting, Houston

Last Updated: June 26, 2012
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 10:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, that's a good thing, IMHO. Perhaps this might help unravel why some of us just can't seem to maintain no matter what (or get stuck when trying to lose).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 10:46
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

These are some of the same regulators supposedly manipulated by the hCG diet... and why I'm hopeful that losing with hCG is what's going to make the difference for me to finally succeed at maintenance.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 13:04

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

This seems to be implying that we are at the mercy of our hormones. While they may affect our minds and lead us to make unhealthy choices, the bottom line is that no hormone puts the food into our mouth.

The real predictor of a person's successful maintenance of weight loss is taking a look at how they handle life, how they let their feelings and desires control their decisions, how motivated they are, and what other skills they are using or not using to maintain their loss.

The responsibility sits with the person and their thoughts, no matter what the hormone ratio is.

Yes, some may find it more difficult because of the hormonal influences, but the study showed they were capable of losing the weight, so it would imply that with the proper mind-set they could keep it off as well.

I am not on a high horse. I have regained weight I lost, so I speak from experience, and maintenance is a skill (like any other skill) I still need to learn. But I will never blame my regaining on my hormones. I blame it on choosing processed carbs and consuming too many calories. The emotional and mental reasons (thought patterns) are mine to heal.

And, BTW, I have a feeling those hormones fluctuate, so how precise could that test be, anyway?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 13:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
the bottom line is that no hormone puts the food into our mouth.
I'm not sure we're such masters of our own fate, otherwise why does something like 95% of the people who lose gain it back? If humans could override their biological impulses so easily with their intellect we wouldn't have an AIDS epidemic, obesity, unwanted pregnancies, car accidents, and all the other things that seem to be driven by impulses and urges rather than higher thought.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 14:06

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Hi Nancy!

Quote:
why does something like 95% of the people who lose gain it back?

I think people are the masters of their fate and that the reality is that we can control our thoughts. It is NOT EASY. It takes lots of hard work and determination to change thought patterns, but it can be done..it's called neuroplasticity. How we think actually changes the physiology of our brains!

The reason most people regain weight is that they are really victims of their unconscious thought patterns.

For example: I have found that if I want to eat and I just stop long enough to ask myself what feeling I am feeling, feel the fear of having that feeling, and allow myself to feel (along with avoiding the processed carbs that contribute to the insulin response that makes me want to eat) I can actually just sit there and not put something into my mouth to make myself "feel better."

The problem is that most, not all, but many people are using food to "feel better" and as you prob. know it affects brain chemistry. Serotonin and dopamine feel GOOD.

Also, worrying about how fat one is getting is a lot easier and less scary than growing up, facing one's issues and taking responsibility.

I think as humans, we are pretty lazy and scared and have found lots of ways to cope with life.

It is an enormous challenge to admit that we are the masters of our fate, we are in control of our thoughts and how we perceive our reality, and to take responsibility for our actions. I would much rather eat ice cream. LOL!

edited to add...or spend time on this forum rather than doing work. I admit it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 16:03

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Before the diet, those who regained the weight had a ratio of leptin to ghrelin that was two times higher than those who did not.

What was their ratios after the diet? Possible the low-calorie diet reversed the ratio? I'm assuming having more leptin than ghrelin would be favorable to weight loss or do I have it akbasswards?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 16:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

[pointless rant deleted]. Extra characters added to cope with software bug.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Tue, Jun-26-12 at 16:31.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/164/155 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 93%

No person can inhabit the mind of another. We cannot feel the urges another person feels, or know the strength of those urges. It is good to aspire to high standards of behavior, but a large proportion of the population cannot meet these standards. I do not believe that failure to control one's food intake is a moral failing or a failure of "willpower." Some people are fortunate enough to have the combination of personal behavior, environmental support, and physical biochemistry such that they have made major changes in their body composition. I believe we have to be open-minded and compassionate about obesity and accept that there is much about this physical condition that we do not understand.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 16:24

Seems like the researchers didn't consider that the type of diet itself might alter the ratio between leptin and ghrellin. If you eat a nutrient-dense diet, either traditional low-carb, or higher-carb paleo, the body will usually be more satisfied longer, and the temptation to overeat simply won't be there. We really need to have this experiment repeated with different diets other than simply a calorie-restricted one.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 16:27

amundson,

Thanks for your reply; it's much wiser than my initial post, now deleted.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 16:47

Plan: Atkins, Paleo, High Fat
Stats: 180/133.2/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 117%

I'm glad, at least, someone is studying ghrelin and leptin as opposed to the typical silly studies that populate research in the realm of obesity. I do think the feeling of hunger drives the average dieter in what seems a biological force. I think if people had the knowledge of low carb and why it works, many would succeed. Not all, but more then are trying to maintain losses on low fat diets. Just my two cents.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 18:00

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Concerning hormones, what if one person's hormones (insulin, leptin or whatever controls metabolism?) are such that a higher percentage of incoming fuel is automatically directed to fat cell storage than another person? Seems like the first guy's going to have to eat a lot less and put a lot more effort into weight loss or maintenance than the second guy whose body doesn't have so much tendency to shuttle off fuel to fat storage.

Last edited by Zei : Tue, Jun-26-12 at 20:43.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 22:27

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
Seems like the researchers didn't consider that the type of diet itself might alter the ratio between leptin and ghrellin. If you eat a nutrient-dense diet, either traditional low-carb, or higher-carb paleo, the body will usually be more satisfied longer, and the temptation to overeat simply won't be there. We really need to have this experiment repeated with different diets other than simply a calorie-restricted one.

What comes to mind is processed fake foods not causing the brain to send the right signals to the body, regardless of carb amount.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 08:00
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I think these hormones can vary from person to person causing different problems. For instance someone with too high grehlin and lower leptin would get hungry very easily, but would not eat a large amount of food when they ate - my aunt had this and was morbidly obese - she had a gastric bypass, which drops grehlin levels and now no longer feels continual hunger. (not that I'm endorsing WLS, as I don't).

On the other hand, I rarely feel actual hunger, but once I start eating, I have no 'stop' signal, which indicates high leptin, low grehlin, and you can see what weight I am.

Add into the mix high insulin levels due to insulin resistance, and either high grehlin or high leptin can lead to excess fat storage.

I do think it can be important to know the levels of these hormones, and to understand how they work in your body, as I believe not everyone is successful on the same type of diet due to differing hormone levels, and knowing levels can advise how to eat.

For instance, for me with high leptin, very high insulin and low grehlin, the only WOE that works for me is low carb IF of only one large meal a day. I take advantage of low levels of hunger, high leptin means I'm able to eat a large meal (though this regime is reducing my capacity to eat really large meals, which I assume means a lowering of leptin), and by only eating once a day means I keep my insulin response as low as possible most of the day. But this would not work for everyone, and would be highly detrimental to some.

Now anyone who believes that obesity is due to a personality defect meaning lack of willpower or control should try fasting 23 hours a day, every day, and see how much 'willpower' they have. Its nothing to do with willpower. Its hormones - whether its leptin, grehlin, insulin, or dopamine if you have an addiction to something like sugar (which I have).

Lee