Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 13:38

Plan: my own
Stats: 350/272/195 Male 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default thinking of doing semi-low carb

Whenever I try to do very low carb I feel psycho. I'm going to try semi-low, maybe about 50-150g a day. Will I see good results on a 1100 calorie diet? I really REALLY want to do Atkins or something but I feel so insane. I don't know if it will pass. I gave it about 5 days and just couldn't deal with it anymore. I did Atkins a few years ago without any issues other than some fatigue, but this time it's pretty much unbearable, not just the flu bug type thing I went through the first time. I have not the slightest clue why.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 13:47
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz
Whenever I try to do very low carb I feel psycho. I'm going to try semi-low, maybe about 50-150g a day. Will I see good results on a 1100 calorie diet? I really REALLY want to do Atkins or something but I feel so insane. I don't know if it will pass. I gave it about 5 days and just couldn't deal with it anymore. I did Atkins a few years ago without any issues other than some fatigue, but this time it's pretty much unbearable, not just the flu bug type thing I went through the first time. I have not the slightest clue why.

1100 cal a day for a male of your size? No, that isn't a good idea at all. You can easily eat 2000-2500 cals a day and see weight loss. If you go too low, you will mess with your metabolism and not in any good way.

If you want to do a semi low carb plan, try The South Beach Diet, phase I for 2 weeks. The food lists and meal plan guide for phase I are on the 1st page of my journal.
Stick to a real plan as you need structure at first to learn how to do this properly. If you eat all that the SBD phase I allows for, it'll get your carbs up to about 60 grams a day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 14:09

BF:

Last time I went on a diet of about 800-1200 cal a day I lost about 10 lbs a month, also put on some muscle at the gym. As bad as it sound it seemed to work well.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I replied to you in another thread, saying that Dr. Atkins in his book says that you shouldn't suffer, and in the event of problems, you should up the carbs a bit. Maybe you could look for that reply, as I made various points I thought might be useful.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 14:22
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Last time I went on a diet of about 800-1200 cal a day I lost about 10 lbs a month, also put on some muscle at the gym. As bad as it sound it seemed to work well.

Yes.....And look at where you are now.
Sorry, but learning how to eat well is for life not just a short term diet.
Its not about how you can starve your body into losing a few pounds only to regain them.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 14:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Its not about how you can starve your body into losing a few pounds only to regain them.

Soooo true!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 14:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The combination of aerobic exercise and low calorie is just going to slow your metabolism.

Raise your carbs enough to where you don't have psychological effects. Maybe start at about 75g. Give it few days. Then see if you can lower it slowly from there. Rather than jumping around from extremes to extreme, try to make smaller changes and see how they work. Give them a few days.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 17:08

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Consider a paleo diet
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 18:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc
Consider a paleo diet

Will do
Primal Blue Print or something else?

Know of someplace that sums up the diet? I can't see reading another health book that long (365 pages) for something that can probably be explained on a couple of pages. Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 18:50

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I totally agree with Judy and Nancy on the calorie issue.

But even 100ish grams of carb a day is relatively low, compared to SAD. If that is solution that you can stick with, go for it. If you stay focused on general good health, the weight will come off.

Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-12, 12:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc

I lost 60 lbs last time. I can't eat much, I am just not hungry ever. I eat two meals a day and a protein shake. I will be fine as long as I stay away from alcohol. Once I reach my goal weight I'll do a maintenance diet.

I need to have ongoing weight loss and/or see improvements in the mirror often enough that it keeps my motivation up. I am easily discouraged.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-12, 12:30

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Will do
Primal Blue Print or something else?

Know of someplace that sums up the diet? I can't see reading another health book that long (365 pages) for something that can probably be explained on a couple of pages. Thanks.
Mark's Primal Blueprint is a super easy one and you could get the diet part in 3 web pages.

Protein, fat, and carb grams per day.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defi.../#axzz1yGUiVGvU

A sample menu.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prim.../#axzz1yGUiVGvU

The carbohydrate curve. So you can fine-tune carbs for where your body is.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-.../#axzz1yGUiVGvU
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-12, 13:53
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I lost 60 lbs last time. I can't eat much, I am just not hungry ever. I eat two meals a day and a protein shake. I will be fine as long as I stay away from alcohol. Once I reach my goal weight I'll do a maintenance diet.

I need to have ongoing weight loss and/or see improvements in the mirror often enough that it keeps my motivation up. I am easily discouraged.

Seejay gave you good info.
I highly recommend that you use Mark's Daily Apple to help you learn to eat this way for life.

I can't tell you how many times I lost 60 lbs only to give up and gain it all back. Simply because I was on a diet and being way too restrictive...and I just couldn't do that long term. I was white knuckling it all the way...and that gets old fast. How many more times was I going to start and not finish...it had to end!
Coming here daily helped me to see that I had to adopt a new attitude. I had to stop seeing this as a diet and see it as the way I'll be eating for the rest of my life. No matter what, I made sure that I didn't give up(this time) and made it to my goal...and stayed there.
It took me a very long time to make it to my goal weight, 20 months total....without any stopping.
I wish you great success going Primal/ Paleo.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-12, 13:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 122/110.7/100 Female 5'2 ft
BF:
Progress: 51%

Im 5'2 and 103 pounds and thats how much I eat! =P
I do similar to what you are saying, I still eat breads and potatoes, I just choose the right kinds.
My carbs end up around 120-150 and I'm never hungry.
I lose weight but slowly, yet I know ill be able to keep it off because I can see myself eating like this for the rest of my life.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-12, 14:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Mark's Primal Blueprint is a super easy one and you could get the diet part in 3 web pages.

Protein, fat, and carb grams per day.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/defi.../#axzz1yGUiVGvU

A sample menu.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prim.../#axzz1yGUiVGvU

The carbohydrate curve. So you can fine-tune carbs for where your body is.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-.../#axzz1yGUiVGvU

Now this diet looks like something I can probably follow. Does it allow oatmeal and cheese? It sounds like, if not mostly like what I consider an ideal and healthy diet when I go over information I have learned so far.

Usually I'll have this in a day right now and have good results so far..
oatmeal with cooked apple and stevia and 1 scoop protein shake

Lunch
Right after my gym time, 45 minutes weights, 40 minutes cardio I'll have 1 scoop protein shake

Dinner
large leafy green salad, croutons, cheese, 4-6oz meat/seafood/poultry 2 tbsp olive oil dressing
OR
1/2 cup brown rice or pasta, lots of mixed veggies cooked in 2 tbsp olive oil with 4-6oz meat/seafood/poultry

I should probably eat lunch, but am usually never hungry and find it kind of hard to afford enough food for another meal every day.

Last edited by Chubz : Tue, Jun-19-12 at 15:03.