Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 10:00
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Betsy, thanks for the response. Yeah, I didn't think it was too cool to ask if your park was a slag heap. As I said, I know central Illinois pretty well and recognized the remnants of coal mining. That is wonderful about your family preserving and creating such a wonderful spot. It preserves the history of the area, too. I remember driving between St. Louis and Chicago and seeing the huge mounds north of Bloomington.

I've noticed that the only thing that really changes on the Ruhl calculator is the fat. I've also noticed that greek yogurt has triggered cravings. I guess I don't "do" dairy well and I still have two, 2 serving containers of it too. Dang it all.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 10:42

Plan: ECLECTIC LC-MFP
Stats: 321/182/196 Male 72
BF:ABDOMINABLY?!
Progress: 111%

For carbs under 20g/day, the protein rqmt increases to make up for the missing glucose. (NOT an issue for most of you with higher carb levels, but something I should watch more closely)...

For carbs 20~90g/day the protein rqmt is constant and fat varies to keep kcal level constant...

As your wt declines the protein rqmt declines too...
  #33   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 10:58

Plan: Low Carb High Fat (LCHF)
Stats: 268/242/160 Female 5' 8-1/2"
BF:too much
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
Betsy, thanks for the response. Yeah, I didn't think it was too cool to ask if your park was a slag heap. As I said, I know central Illinois pretty well and recognized the remnants of coal mining. That is wonderful about your family preserving and creating such a wonderful spot. It preserves the history of the area, too. I remember driving between St. Louis and Chicago and seeing the huge mounds north of Bloomington.

I've noticed that the only thing that really changes on the Ruhl calculator is the fat. I've also noticed that greek yogurt has triggered cravings. I guess I don't "do" dairy well and I still have two, 2 serving containers of it too. Dang it all.

Yeah, "slag" tends to be that type of word. There are a lot of those heaps in this area! They definitely stand out since most all the land is so flat otherwise.

Too bad about the yogurt triggering cravings. But do you think it might be what you add to it, by any chance? I just ate some Fage 2% yogurt for the first time yesterday, with 5 blackberries mixed in, and didn't notice any problem, yet anyway. Do you use full fat, 2% or nonfat? I got mine at Kroger, but they didn't have the full fat one.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 11:04
It's Only Food!

BF:

I'm using the 2% since the grocery stores seem to have an aversion to full fat anything. I ate it plain last night thinking it was the berries. Nope.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 11:57

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 189/142/135 Female 66 inches
BF:hmmmm?
Progress: 87%

Oh, that's too bad about the yogurt and possible dairy connection, Blue. Some days, I eat almost all dairy in one form or another. I can't imagine life without it, but then, again, lots of people can't imagine life without bread. I love bread, too, but I don't indulge anymore.

The mindless cruelty by mindless people and violence of the Hatfields & McCoys was just too uncomfortable for me to even look at. I had to avert my eyes or fast-forward through. I'm glad I saw it because it is history, but it made me feel a bit sad. It was so bleak.

Good morning, everyone.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 12:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

About green hydrangeas.....

Hydrangea flowers produce spectacular and colorful blooms in hues of blue, pink, white and often in many shades in between. But what causes hydrangea flowers to turn green? Here are some answers.

Some Varieties Naturally Produce Green Flowers

Among the various cultivars, some naturally produce green hydrangea flowers. These include the Limelight hydrangea with its bright lime-green flowers. In Limelight, the older flowers turn from green to pink to white to burgundy – while new floral growth comes in the spectacular lime green. Limelight hydrangeas grow from 6 to 8 feet tall and wide.

Another variety is the green-flowering Annabelle. In fact, the Annabelle hydrangea, which initially blooms white, will always turn to green flowers after it has been in bloom for a period of about 2 weeks. Sometimes, however, the blooms stay white a bit longer.

Changing Colors With Age

Among hydrangea aficionados, the prevailing opinion is that all hydrangea flowers change color with age. Pink and blue hydrangeas most commonly turn green. In the South, where the climate is hot and sunny, these green-hued hydrangeas may begin to pick up shades of burgundy and pink.

Some hydrangeas begin in various shades of green, then turn a deep blue before finishing up in a maroon shade.

Experts also caution that some pink and blue hydrangeas may produce green flowers in some years for reasons as yet unknown. The consensus is that this condition lasts only for 1 to 2 years before the plant returns to its normal coloring. Home gardeners can help facilitate this return-to-normal flowering by adding fertilizer.

How Climate Issues Affect Color Of Hydrangea Flowers

Hydranges like morning sun and afternoon shade, and don’t do well in drying wind. That said, they also like relatively consistent temperatures – not too hot and not too cool. But as the blooms begin to grow, cooler temperatures encourage deeper colored flowers.

When a sudden cold snap, frost or snow or freezing rain, negatively affects a blooming hydrangea, all the gardener can do is to cut back the flowers affected by the change in climate. The following year, or the next growing season, the hydrangea should flower as usual.

Some varieties of commercial hydrangeas, including Lace Cap hydrangea, like cool conditions and a moist soil. For hotter climates, container-grown plants are best grown indoors and moved outside when weather turns cooler (but only on frost-free days).

Two species of hydrangea flower on current growth: Annabelle and paniculata. Most gardeners have the bigleaf hydrangea, or H. macrophylla, which can be severely affected by either a late season freeze or pruning. Where soil does freeze, mulch should be applied right after the soil freezes. Any mulch material can be used to protect the hydrangea, such as dried grass clippings, straw, evergreen boughs or tree leaves.

Green-Flowering Hydrangeas Generally Temporary

Unless the cultivar is specifically known to produce green flowers, the hydrangea that delights the eye with greenish blooms is usually a temporary phenomenon. It will soon either turn another color or it ends the color cycle with green hues.

In any event, many gardening experts consider the green-hued hydrangea flowers as yet another example of Mother Nature’s quixotic sense of humor and exquisite taste.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/wh...n#ixzz1wTUKY8xA
  #37   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 13:18
It's Only Food!

BF:

That's really interesting, serea. At our house in North Carolina, we had one that was blue/purple. In the autumn when it got cold, the old blossoms turned a deep maroon and green. Here's a shot of it the last autumn we were there:

#38   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 14:15

Thanks for the info on the green hydrangeas, Serea. And Blue, lovely pic!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 14:16

I guess some of you must have sent rain our way! It's been coming down all day. I like it, but I have to go out, so waiting for it to let up some.

Only 9 more posts for a lobster!
  #40   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 15:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsypear1
I guess some of you must have sent rain our way! It's been coming down all day. I like it, but I have to go out, so waiting for it to let up some.

Only 9 more posts for a lobster!

Well, come on Betsy...I am sure that you have another 9 posts in you today!

Blue,,,my daughter picked some hydrangeas that were that color and dried them ...she had them for a very long time and always looked so pretty.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 18:16
Keto Lab Rat

Plan: Low carb...WB detox...IF
Stats: 240/201.8/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:The Lab Rats :-)
Progress: 42%

Don't know diddly about hydrangeas but they sure are pretty!!

These are my stats for today:
Calories (1243) 1307
Fat (98) 109
Protein (60) 57.8
Carb (30) 26.9
Ratio 75/17/8

So, I finally managed to get my calories and fat up....cream cheese!!

Ron has a corporate day off tomorrow so will probably be doing some yard work. He leaves for Williston ND on Sunday morning for a week, so probably won't be online much for the next couple of days so we can get some golfing in.

Be good and have a super weekend!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 19:56
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I did get a chance to read part 6 of Peter Attia's lipid series. http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/...esterol-part-vi
It proved interesting. Dr. Attia explains further why LDL-C (the number you see in a regular lipid panel test) is not a good predictor (in fact, it's a poor predictor) of coronary artery disease. He also explains how an increase or higher level of LDL-C does in no way mean high or increased LDL-P. So, just because you have low LDL-C (which doesn't predict CAD,) it doesn't mean your LDL-P is high and vice versa. He states taht people with low LDL-P have lowest risk of CAD, and it doesn't matter if the LDL-C is high. The only way to know LDL-P is to have it measured. He feels NMR testing is the best test available at this time. He also goes into confirming why small LDL particle size can be a marker for, but not a cause of, CAD.

Some of this is stuff we've already read, but he sort of pulls it all together nicely, and gives some study results (yeah...I know...studies) for backup.

Last edited by Labhrain : Thu, May-31-12 at 20:06.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 19:56

Plan: ECLECTIC LC-MFP
Stats: 321/182/196 Male 72
BF:ABDOMINABLY?!
Progress: 111%

DAILY RATs:
Calories (1203) 1160
Protein (94) 100
Carb (20) 20
Ratio 58/35/7

Well another one bites the dust! Night all!!
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-31-12, 20:07
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Daily stats:

Carbs: 45.0 (40)
Protein: 85.6 (80)
Fat: 85.0 (85)
Kcals: 1250 (1245)