Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 04:24

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default Ketogenic Diet proves Great for Diabetes and complications

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 05:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.plosone.org/article/info...al.pone.0018604

That's the diabetic kidney disease/ketogenic diet study mentioned in the la times article.

LA Times;

Quote:
A high-fat "ketogenic" diet may reverse the kidney damage caused by diabetes, a study published online Wednesday by the journal PLoS One reports.

Past research has shown that lowering blood sugar through diet can prevent kidney failure but not reverse it in patients with diabetes. Lead author Charles Mobbs, a neuroscientist at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City, said that this study -- in which mice were fed a high-fat diet of 5% carbohydrate, 8% protein and a whopping 87% fat -- was the first to show that dietary intervention alone is enough to reverse kidney failure caused by diabetes.

"This finding has significant implications for the tens of thousands of Americans diagnosed with diabetic kidney failure, and possibly other complications, each year," he said.

That's hopeful news, but there's a serious problem: Following a ketogenic diet is brutal. A November 2010 article in the New York Times Magazine detailed one family's experience putting their young son on the diet to treat his epilepsy. The boy isn't allowed to eat such staples of childhood as cookies or macaroni and cheese. His mother has to weigh every morsel that passes his lips. At the time the article was published, he had been on the diet for almost two years.

"We figure that in an average week, Sam consumes a quart and a third of heavy cream, nearly a stick and a half of butter, 13 teaspoons of coconut oil, 20 slices of bacon and 9 eggs," wrote the boy's father, journalist Fred Vogelstein, who noted that the ketogenic diet is "only for the desperate."

Yeesh. Childhood staples. I'd feel bad that the kid can't have a banana or an orange on a regular basis.

One thing I can't find in the study itself is whether the mice were fed ad-lib or calorie restricted.

The mouse diet was 8 percent protein. They should try 10, 12, 15, 20 while keeping the carbs out, and see what happens to the kidneys then. Even a slight increase in protein, when starting at such low levels, vastly lowers the "brutality" of ketogenic dieting.

Quote:
Research Article

Reversal of Diabetic Nephropathy by a Ketogenic Diet

Intensive insulin therapy and protein restriction delay the development of nephropathy in a variety of conditions, but few interventions are known to reverse nephropathy. Having recently observed that the ketone 3-beta-hydroxybutyric acid (3-OHB) reduces molecular responses to glucose, we hypothesized that a ketogenic diet, which produces prolonged elevation of 3-OHB, may reverse pathological processes caused by diabetes. To address this hypothesis, we assessed if prolonged maintenance on a ketogenic diet would reverse nephropathy produced by diabetes. In mouse models for both Type 1 (Akita) and Type 2 (db/db) diabetes, diabetic nephropathy (as indicated by albuminuria) was allowed to develop, then half the mice were switched to a ketogenic diet. After 8 weeks on the diet, mice were sacrificed to assess gene expression and histology. Diabetic nephropathy, as indicated by albumin/creatinine ratios as well as expression of stress-induced genes, was completely reversed by 2 months maintenance on a ketogenic diet. However, histological evidence of nephropathy was only partly reversed. These studies demonstrate that diabetic nephropathy can be reversed by a relatively simple dietary intervention. Whether reduced glucose metabolism mediates the protective effects of the ketogenic diet remains to be determined.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 10:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I wonder if such a diet would help cats with kidney problems?

The usual recommendation is a low protein food, (but with high quality, easily absorbed protein) but making up the difference with fat shouldn't do a cat any kidney harm, right? Cats shouldn't be eating carbs anyway.

I've been successfully ramping up the fat in my cats' diet, with great success. My almost 16 elderly cat has fur as soft as a kitten's.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 10:46

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

There's a market I shop at sometimes that sells a line of pet products called "Primal"... it's all fish/meat stuff that is sold frozen.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 11:58

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Cats shouldn't be eating carbs anyway.

I've been successfully ramping up the fat in my cats' diet, with great success. My almost 16 elderly cat has fur as soft as a kitten's.

Bingo. I feed my cat raw chicken supplemented by "Orijen", which is a Canadian company that uses wild game in the food with no grains. She IS a SHEDDER! But she is really healthy.

My neighbor, OTOH, is busy injecting her grain-fed pets with insulin.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-12, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/218.2/200 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

I remember just a few years ago when they were telling us that the Atkins Diet would destroy our kidneys. :-)