Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-12, 14:08

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

"I can have small amounts of cream cheese without noticing the same effect"
Kirsteen, I notice that other dairy doesn't affect me in the same way, either. I still do the whipped cream on a shake but I don't use a lot (like in my decaf coffee a few times a day or with a Mock Kahlua and cream... like I used to.
Kat
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/000/125 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 225%

A 'Mock Kahlua'?? Please do tell!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 04:44

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
A 'Mock Kahlua'?? Please do tell!

Lol.. I noticed that in Kat's journal - it sounds totally decadent, and I'd be scared to try it.. I tend to overdo certain things - and that would be one of them.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 20:40

Mock Kahlua - and actually, I have to be careful with it too! Too much and I flash. But it's delicious...
You need cold decaf or high octane coffee if you still use it - Put some ice cubes in a martini glass or tumbler, fill with cold coffee, leaving some room - stir in a tiny amount of stevia or sweetener of your choice, pour in a touch of vanilla extract. Add a splash of heavy cream and watch how beautifully it marbles. And it's really good.
When I brew coffee I always have a little leftover so I keep it in a jar in the fridge so I always have some.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 15:41

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

I'm the same as Kirsteen, sweet things send me on a mental battle of craving the bad stuff! And too much artificial sweetener in diet drinks stall me badly. So I avoid them & now have lost any desire for anything sweet. If I want a treat I have 2 squares of green & blacks 90% chopped finely & mixed into 25g of Cornish clotted cream. But I try & keep that to once a month though. I also can't imagine eating fake bread or pancakes. There's enough natural low carb foods & spices out there to experiment & make a fantastically varied diet for me.
Each to their own though
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 18:08

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
I lost any desire for anything sweet

Same here, and amazingly quickly... although I didn't have a terribly sweet tooth, so perhaps that made it easier.

Quote:
If I want a treat I have 2 squares of green & blacks 90% chopped finely & mixed into 25g of Cornish clotted cream.

Wow! I cannot imagine stopping at one piece of chocolate. I cannot touch a piece without eating the whole lot and sending out for more. I am the same with coffee - one cup triggers off the whole addiction thing and I cannot stop drinking it. I only drink it as a treat when I am out and that works for me.

Quote:
There's enough natural low carb foods & spices out there to experiment & make a fantastically varied diet for me.

I feel the same. I absolutely love the diet.. The longer I am on it the better it gets, because I love to experiment and try new things.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 22:28

"I also can't imagine eating fake bread or pancakes." You know, I made a Suzanne Somers recipe for cream cheese pancakes with cinnamon butter "syrup" one weekend AM and it seemed to spike my insulin.... It was completely LC but - I hear ya. The oopsie rolls weren't too bad. It seems the more complex the recipe the more I am affected. The mocktails have very little stevia in them but still - same effect sometimes.
I do find, though that some of the LC food is so very rich that I just can't eat a lot of it. Like the dark dark choc. Although I haven't had that - that is allowed on my maintenance and I have a long way to go.
Kat
Kat