Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 08:36

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks Kirsteen for the recipe
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-12, 09:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

From the little I know about you, I would definitely suggest endives, I use them for hummus, tzazikki, spinach dip and now for pate!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 08:20

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I forgot to say that you can add a few ounces of butter to the liver pate recipe, which makes it richer, or pour melted butter over the top.

Just a quick update.. I tried the little crackers. They turned out lovely, held their shape in spite of being so thin, and tasted very good.. In fact they were a bit too good to waste on the liver pate, which totally masked the delicate flavour. I think I'll just keep them to have on their own or with butter occasionally. In any case, they are a wee bit carby as I amn't on the nuts rung - I am still getting all my carbs from induction veggies.

For some reason, although I adore veggies, I really don't like the grainy texture of the pate with green leafy vegetables. There probably is a different serving idea which I would like - perhaps a roasted and crispy vegetable, or something in a creamy dressing, but nothing comes to my mind. I need to start to think "out the box".

I don't normally make flax bread, but I think I'll try making a flax bread to have with the liver pate. I can slice it thinly and freeze it, then toast a slice when I want it, so a loaf will go a long way.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Thu, Apr-26-12 at 08:28.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 13:38

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I use raw veggies too, celery and cucumber mostly. Also this is good on the low carb diner's mr. peanut bread, surprisingly!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Kirsteen, what a lovely recipe!!! I will be trying this soon. Thanks! I do have some wonderful cracker recipes, they use flours from the nuts rung!

I will try to post them but I won't be able to get to them till next week. I'm just swamped right now!!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 00:40

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Agree about the Daikon radishes or any radishes. Radishes seem to go very well with pate. You can find a variety of colors and types at the grocery store or farmers market, thinly sliced they can make a nice party platter.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 06:51

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

Radishes also grow very easily with very little care. I don't really like radishes myself, but my dad and DH do and have told me they have a much stronger taste out of the garden. (I grow them throughout the garden to repel insects from other plants. I've even had them go to seed and grow up between patio stones the following spring.)
  #23   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 14:14

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Chicken Liver Pate

This recipe can be used for any other type of liver, but it's too sweet to work well with more meaty livers. If I was regularly making it with a different liver, I'd swap the spices for a more earthy herb, omit the brandy, maybe add a beef stock cube and experiment a bit to make a more robust pate - maybe even swapping the bacon (& mushrooms?) for a quarter lb of something like ground (minced) beef or lamb.

butter
1 large onion - chopped
1 clove garlic - crushed
3 rashers bacon
1lb chicken livers (usually found in the frozen section of the supermarket)
4 oz mushrooms
pinch of allspice or nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 tblsp brandy

Fry onion and garlic in butter for a few minutes. Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, liver, spice and seasoning. Cook through, adding brandy towards the end.

Cool, blend and chill.

Man that sounds good - I think I'll stop on the way home tonight and grab some livers....YUM.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 09:56

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

Quick note - tried this over the weekend and OMG it was delish. I ate mine on cucumber slices.

Thank you for the easy/yummy recipe.