Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, May-06-12, 20:49

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
Hi there! No peeling required, the red will fade as well as the spiceyness as they cook. I tried this with a Daikon radish shreded and fried in coconut oil this week and it was just like hashbrowns

I rushed to the store and bought radishes and made the radish pancakes...OMG..I think I love you...Thank you for this, it's soooo good!!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 04:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR- Induction
Stats: 155/158.0/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: -9%

Well fried shredded turnips are excellent too.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 05:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
YES, it DOES!

So I used the frozen cauli. It was easy not to have to cut or cook it. I added what I had on hand - 3 boiled eggs, black olives, white onion, mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, sf sweet relish. It is surprisingly good and dh likes it! We agree that something is missing, but not sure what. Maybe a diced dill pickle spear?

Anyway, I am looking forward to making it again using purple onions and adding green olives, celery and green or red bell peppers. I'll be trying it with the radishes as well, but I really like how easy it was to use the frozen cauli and not having to cook anything.

This is going to be a staple to go with all the grilled meats we do during the summer. Thanks everyone!

Try adding the smoked bacon - it was fabby in ours.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 05:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
So happy you liked it I also cube radishes, like cut in 4 put them in frypan with some oil, once they start to brown, add some diced french chalottes (lower in carbs than onion) DELISH, just like breakfast potatoes. You can also grate them, add some coconut flour and egg and salt and pepper, make little patties and fry until brown, like potatoe pancakes...!!

I got a celeriac this week in my organic veggie delivery. I think I'll have a go at this with those. Thanks for these genius ideas, Robyn's Nest. x
  #50   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 10:41

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Just wanted to pop in and say that this is def even better the next day. I'll probably try to make it a day ahead from now on.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 07:24

BF:

I just tried this recipe using courgette (zucchini/summer squash) instead of cauliflower. I boosted up the mustard, and added a touch of stevia and some smoked paprika, and it was great.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 06:03

Plan: Divinely Mine
Stats: 223.8/222.8/170.0 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 2%

I'm getting hungry. Have to try a few! We really like the cauliflower salad and have used it a few times with various new vegs. It's a quick and easy recipe for lunch.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 23:51

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul
Well fried shredded turnips are excellent too.

I have a turnip that needs using. I think I might try that tomorrow for breakfast...
And I am happy to say I finally am going to try the original cauli salad recipe on this thread!!! Everyone's versions and tweaks sound so good - I'll start with the original and go from there. I have a cauliflower head reserved for pizza crust and one for this salad.
Kat
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 04:22
Living lighter

Plan: Keto/ no white stuff
Stats: 352/187/220 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
We tried making this cauliflower salad yesterday and it was really great. I used 3 eggs and 4 rashers of bacon. I didn't want to use the sweet relish, so I substituted with red pepper, some cucumber, and a dash of stevia. It was really good, but next time, I won't put the stevia in. We aren't used to sweet flavours in salads etc.. and it was weird - like a dessert made with cauliflower, lol. Apart from that, it was definitely the best cauliflower dish I've tried on low-carb. A keeper! Thanks so much for sharing it.

We South Africans also have this strange habit of mixing sweet with savory. I've heard people from the UK complain about it before Must say that I don't know what my tastebuds would do with the sweet/salty taste now, after low carbing for a short while.

A rasher of bacon is a strip. Right?
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 04:41

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicPr
A rasher of bacon is a strip. Right?

I think a USA "strip" of bacon is the same as a rasher of streaky bacon

I don't know what they would call back bacon

#56   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 05:43
Living lighter

BF:

Sorry everybody. I picked up an old post in the thread here. Didn't realize it went on. Didn't mean to dilute the thread.

Thanks for the bacon info though.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 07:47

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:

Elizellen, in the USA back bacon is called Canadian bacon - not sure why. Anyone know?
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 07:51

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You're not diluting the thread, NicPR... you're adding another country's perspective of national tastes!
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 08:20
Living lighter

BF:

I'm a qualified chef (non-practising ) and you would not believe me but I have never cooked with radishes apart from slicing them raw into salads. I'm excited about trying the radish pancake recipe.

Here we sometimes put grated or finely diced cheese (especially extra mature cheddar) in our "potato" salad. I know it sounds really over the top but it is nice. Guess that would be something like cauli, mayo, white onions, dill pickles and cheese. Add a few olives and it's starting to sound like a meal on its own. My apologies to all the many die-hard carnivores out there.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 09:39

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:

Hey Nic, no eggs? To me it's not potato salad, nor cauli salad, without lots of eggs - in fact I usually put 4 or 5 HB eggs to 1/2 head of cauliflower! I've never tried it with cheese but I LOVE extra-aged cheddar so I'm going to try that next time I make this.