Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 10:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/125/118
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default buddy to discuss weight loss and exercise

Looking for a buddy to discuss diet, exercise and overall weightloss information. Have lost 10 lbs and need to loose 7-10 more. have been on Atkins since January of 2002 (new years resolution) Lost 10 on induction and have lost a lb or to here or there and then put it back on. So still where I was after induction (after several months on this WOL) Need a buddy bad......I am 26 years old.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/123/115
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey, in response to your buddy request. I am interested in getting a buddy. I am also on Atkins since May 11, 2002 and have 10# to lose. I am not sure what the buddy system does or how it works. Do you know. I would like to know before I commit to something.

Last edited by J. Missy : Sat, May-11-02 at 06:19.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 10:34

BF:

Ok so I may sound like an idiot but I am not so sure myself....I just stumbled in here and thought hey why dont i try to find someone to buddy up with and discuss issues that I am having.....but i think the idea is that we fill out journals (with I guess what we eat and share and compare them.....OK since I should have known this before i posted, let me do some research. find out what this is all about and then I will let you know and we can decide what we want to do
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 10:52
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I "belong" to a thread called "140 anyone?" .... and it started just like this one probaby will. My goal is 140 and while browsing the boards one day I stumbled upon it and it has turned into a small support group of about 6-8 of us who check in regularly and give each other support, talk about current issues we're dealing with, or just chatting about not-much-of-anything. I have "subscribed" to this thread and whenever someone has posted there I am notified by email....but I check in daily anyway!

Starting a journal is something a bit different....and the same. It is a place where you can post your daily intake, food counts, random thoughts, etc. Recently it proved valuable to me when I wanted to go back and average my daily calories/fat/protein/carbs for a certain period. Boy, was I glad the information was handy!! Once in a while friends drop in to say hello, offer encouragement, or just see how you're doing. Mentors refer to the information when you've asked a specific question on another board like, "do you think my carb count is too high?"....they can look at your journal and analyze what's there.

Don't worry....regular posting on the board will be education enough. You'll figure out how it works and make it work for you! It's a wonderful place chuck FULL of information, friendship and support!

Good luck!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 17:07
Registered Member

BF:

Jennifer, I think we can try this and if it does not work we can do something different. I am in if you are. Let me know.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 06:21
Registered Member

BF:

I just noticed that I put May 11 as a start date and it is supposed to read, April 11
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 07:44

BF:

I am in as well. Today I am very frustrated with this diet. I lost the weight during induction and have stopped loosing since, that was back in January. Now granted I probably have not been totally consumed with counting carbs, but i know that i have had no more than 30 a day. since induction I will loose a pound gain it back etc.....and while I love this WOL, i just get real frustrated. Now I do not get cravings at all anymore...it is more like something will still look good to me (bread, pizza, cake, etc.. but I still have no desire to eat it). I guess that is a start. Ok so here is what I have done. Since wed. of this week I cut down my cheese and splenda consumption and I am patiently waiting to see if that helps. Considering it is my TOM, I probably will not notice until that is over. I also switched my workout, from TAE-BO to walking up hills...so we shall see
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 07:55
Registered Member

BF:

Jennifer, how much Splenda were you using? I have been using Stevia b/c it has no carbs and no calories. I know it is discouraging and I have been through the same thing however I am losing very slowly now. I realized my calorie amount was too high so I have been sort of watching that. Don't give up it will happen! As far as workout goes, do you do any weight training. That has helped me tremendously with changing shape, tone, and I feel fat loss. I feel like some of my lack of weight loss was due to increased muscle. You can do this. Just remember you can always go back to your old way if this does not work, but give it time. Talk to you soon. Missy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 11:13

BF:

You are so right about the weights....I have tried them but always quit b/c i have a tendency to build a lot of muscle and then I think I look to bulky....I know it sounds sill but it is true for me. As far as the splenda goes i guess i was using too much b/cv I can already see a difference in just a few days. Thanks for the supprot I am definately not going to give up. Where do you get stevia??? is it any good???
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 12:00
Registered Member

BF:

Stevia is pretty good, it is better in tea than coffee but I use it in both. Green tea with mint is really good if you have not tried it. Try Celestial Seasonings brand. Stevia should be at any health food store. Regarding the weights and bulking up, I know what you mean I feel the same way. Right now I am using just 10lbs each dumbells and doing lunges and arm stuff, I have a body ball which is great and I do yoga which seems to give a leaner look and really helps your posture. It changed totally the way I hold my body and the way my body looks. It is an excellent combo with wt. training. I do a tape by Baron Batiste called Hot Yoga. It is a three tape set with three different levels. I think I got it at Wal Mart. Well we can do this!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 19:14

BF:

I have always wanted to do yoga, I will check that tape out. I love to workout at home....so much easier than going to the gym. I will look for the stevia as well. Thanks so much for the tips.

How do you like the yoga......is it like a cardio workout or no. I really need help with my posture it is so bad
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:

Hello, how are you doing? In response to the yoga. I would not consider it yoga but more isometric in nature. You hold postures for lengths of time and use many different muscles just to stay balanced. But it is strenuous in a way yet destressing. It is hard to explain you will just have to try it. I really enjoy having a buddy to chat with about LC and fitness. Well let me go for now will talk to you soon. Missy
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 12:39
Registered Member

BF:

I have a typo on the message, I will have to start reading before I send. It should read I would not consider it cardio.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 07:22

BF:

Thank for the info missy: my sister's name is missy. Anyway I really enjoy having a buddy as well. I figured out what has also been hurting my loss.....chewing gum. I was chewing so much gum (although sugarless) it contains enough carbs, that I think I was underestimating how many I was eating.

I just ate some eggs and bacon it was delicious. This is not as hard for me lately as it has been. Oh and do not worry about the typos i can not spell to save my life!!

Anyway I am a bit nervous as I have a business trip for work and It is very difficult to maintain the diet when you travel. All travelers eat is junk with tons of sugar. I guess i will have to pack some snacks
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 14:46
Registered Member

BF:

Hey just checking in, I am doing good today and really feeling good about this as a lifestyle. Snacks you can take on your trip might include pork skins, boiled eggs, cheese sticks, macadamia nuts, cans of tuna. Some people eat vienna sausages but they have starch in them so I am not going there. Regarding the gum chewing, I have really had to cut back with that. I was chewing so much along with many diet drinks. So now it is water, green tea and one to two sf gums per day. I think the only thing I really miss on this diet is fruit and It is hard to imagine summer without watermelon but I will survive!! Well let me go exercise. See ya!