Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 05:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Dr Briffa: Got acne? Go primal

From Dr Briffa's blog:

Quote:
20 March, 2012

Got acne? Go primal

Acne is unheard of in populations eating a ‘primal’ or ‘paleolithic’ diet. This has caused some researchers, for example Loren Cordain (author of The Paleo Diet), to question what factors might be at play here. One prominent theory concerns the impact of eating carbohydrates that tend to be disruptive for blood sugar levels. These foods stimulate, among other things, the secretion of insulin and something known as insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) that induce changes in the skin that are conducive to the development of acne. Not only that, but a low glycaemic load (GL) diet (one which will tend to lower insulin and IGF-1 levels) was found to brings benefits to people with acne. You can read more about this in a previous post from 2007.

Very recently, the journal Acta Dermato-Venereologica published a study which again tested the potential of a low GL diet as a treatment for acne [1]. According to the summary of this study, eating a low-GL diet led to a significant reduction in acne, as well as evidence under the microscope of reduced sebaceous gland size and lower levels of inflammation.

This study is accompanied by a commentary [2] which talks about the role of diet in acne, and it inevitably focuses on the role of carbohydrate here, making reference to this recent study as well as the one I wrote about in 2007 that I link to above.

The author of the commentary also focuses on the potential role of milk in the development of acne. This is something that has been mooted before (see a previous post here from a couple of years back for example).

Again, insulin and IGF-1 are implicated. The author of the commentary makes the point that insulin and IGF-1 end up stimulating a process (mammalian target of rapamycin complex 1) which are similar to the hormonal changes seen in puberty. The author makes the point that a drive in this direction may also add to the burden of health issues such as obesity, type 2 diabetes and cancer later in life.

All in all, the author is down on Western diets, and urges dermatologists to counsel their acne patients about its hazards. And while he does not make this claim, it’s clear that what would be generally better for these patients (and, in my view, lots of other people) is a diet which is more ‘primal’ in nature. This can be a tough thing for some to accept, given just how much we’re told that children ‘need’ grains (energy) and milk for healthy bones – neither of which are true, by the way.

References:

1. Kwon HH, et al. Preview of article: Clinical and Histological Effect of a Low Glycaemic Load Diet in Treatment of Acne Vulgaris in Korean Patients: A Randomized, Controlled Trial Acta Dermato-Venereologica 2012. DOI: 10.2340/00015555-1346

2. Melink BC. Diet in acne: further evidence for the role of nutrient signalling in acne pathogenesis. Acta Dermato-Venereologica 2012. DOI: 10.2340/00015555-1358
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 07:48

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I often have to struggle against feelings of sheer hatred against "the establishment" regarding how I ate as a younger person. I had asthma and eczema all through my childhood, the worst acne a person could experience as a young adult, weight issues all my adult life...if I hadn't followed that crazy "low fat, high carb, milk is good for you" mantra I could have avoided ALL OF IT! If I was a billionaire (and I would have to be) I would hire the best lawyers out there and make a massive lawsuit against the perpetuators of this myth. I would MAKE THEM RECANT. I want to wave the evidence in the face of the public while I spend my billions in court, splash it all over the media, make an enormous stink, and MAKE THEM RECANT. Well, I'm not a billionaire, so that just isn't going to happen. Slow steps.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 10:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
...if I hadn't followed that crazy "low fat, high carb, milk is good for you" mantra I could have avoided ALL OF IT!

This same thing drives me crazy. I could have avoided the part of my hellish adolescence where I went through the most self-conscious stage of life while fat, spotty, miserable, and with an eating disorder.

Well, at least I'm not dealing with it NOW.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 14:52

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

My ex ate sh*t all day and night (it was RARE to see him eat any sort of vegetables, fruit, or unprocessed meat) and had horrible cystic acne. No medications ever worked for him.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-12, 15:13
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I never had much of a problem with acne. I have, however, always gotten a zit or two around my TOM. Even after going low carb/no grains/no legumes, this would happen. However, I've discovered it's not really a problem when I drop most dairy. Butter and plain yogurt are okay, but other dairy products such as cheese and cream cause me issues (skin/gastric/mucous.) Because of this, I suspect that blood sugar/insulin are part of the issue, but that there's more, such as certain proteins in some foods, involved.