Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 07:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Newbie Tip #5: More Power

If you are reading this, I know one thing about you: In the past, you have given away your power. I’m talking about “Power Over Food.”

Why is this such a struggle? Our body and our mind are actually addicted to the kinds of food that made us fat and sick. Sure, our society jokes about being “hooked on doughnuts” or says things like, “I can’t live without bread!”

But it's true.

Type "wheat endorphins" or "sugar dopamine" into your favorite search engine. Science knows these are the foods which trigger the Feel Good chemicals for our brain. Of course, there are better ways of doing that; healthy relationships, good friends, a satisfying creative experience, or a kickin' concert. We can handle stress with meditation, exercise, or my own favorite; getting rid of the source.

But if we don't have that available to us; the drive-through/convenience store/grocery is right down the road. Some cheap & reliable & legal drugs are on their way!

So we aren't doing ourselves any favors if we keep thinking of these things as "treats" or "goodies" or "rewards," are we? They're not. They are not harmless. They are not food. They are a drug delivery system.

Remember, food is satisfying, nourishing, and stops hunger. Our FoodDrugs don't do that; they make us crave more, eat more, and increase our hunger. They aren't just empty calories; they can actually block our body from absorbing or using nutrients. They actively degrade our health.

As long as we continue to think of such things as "food," as something we "deserve," as something we can eat "all we want of" as soon as we lose this excess weight; we will be doomed to failure. It's that simple.

We can have a slim and healthy body, with lots of energy and great moods. OR we can have our FoodDrugs.

No one, ever, in the entire history of the world, has ever Had It Both Ways. About anything. Yet, over and over again, I see people trying out schemes like "carb up days" or "one night out a week" or "cheat meals" or "cheat days" or "for heaven's sake itsThanksgivingwithmygrandmapie so I might as well falloffthewagonuntilNewYears." We know everyone who tries this, because they appear again with posts like "Gained it all back with friends" or "This time I'm going to do it for reals."

If they come back at all.

I'm not immune; I fell for the "strappedforcashtryingDreamfieldspasta" scheme and ONLY gained back 20 pounds before I got a grip. And I feel lucky!

When we finally say goodbye to carbs, not just "see ya later;" we don't want them anymore. I'm living proof. I'm cheerfully unconflicted, hitting middle age without a sack of pills and no elastic waist slacks, and NO tormenting cravings. That is the switch we turn in our head.

That truly is the only secret.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 07:58

Plan: whole food
Stats: 178.2/155/149 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Terrific post!! Thanks for all the effort you go to in getting the things we all are or should be thinking of out there - very much appreciated.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 08:01
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Thanks, it is a nice read.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 13:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Remember, food is satisfying, nourishing, and stops hunger. Our FoodDrugs don't do that; they make us crave more, eat more, and increase our hunger.

My favorite part of the whole post! This is so true. I used to think I was somehow defunct with no willpower. Carbs didn't satisfy me, just left me wanting more and more. I wracked my brain trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Now I know the problem was never with me. It was the carbs! They were the problem. It's amazing how much willpower I actually have once the addictive carbs and sugar are out of my system!

Thanks so much for another great post, WereBear!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 13:54

Plan: Atkins/ carnivore
Stats: 302/270/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 29%

Excellent post, reminds me of what happened just a year ago. An absolutely essential shift in mental focus and bedrock principle in order for me to stay at goal.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 03:26

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Werebear, you are truly the rock of solid foundation that I can turn to when too many carbs knock me down. Another truly great post.

Now my problem is bridging the gap between what to do when stressors hit, my mind turns the color black, and my mouth opens up wide to shove in the "opioids" aka candy and popcorn.

I'm gravitating towards a mindfulness-based approach where mindfulness is incorporated with low-carb. The problem when I get myself into these situations is that my logical mind completely shuts down and the "mind-less" behavior kicks in.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 03:53

Plan: Vegetarian
Stats: 208/190/168 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi there,
Could you perhaps substitute something else for the sweets and other carbs when you are tempted to slip off your diet? Is there some low carb food that you really like? For example I love cheese, especially cheddar. Perhaps you could go for a thumb-sized piece of cheddar or a celery stick with peanut butter or a few olives or a few nuts or seeds. Or a chunk of steak? Or a soy isolate protein drink flavoured with artificial sweetener? I'm veggie, so the steak is not an option for me but you have a wide range of meat and fish available to you too if you are a carnivore! Make sure there are a few good options for those moments of temptation in your fridge. Another even better option is to take the dog for a walk - take my dog if you like!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 04:28

Stats: 195/120/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sooo TRUE Werebear! I know I've been up and down so often that when I lose weight those around me just assume it's another temporary situation. WELL, THIS time I actually got to GOAL for the first time, AND I know that at 56yo I CAN'T stay on this rollercoaster. I am committed to ending the madness by STAYING low carb, weighing myself everyday (I know I avoid the scale on days I eat too much), and reminding myself when I want to wander away that "If I eat what I used to eat, I WILL weigh what I used to weigh"! Thanks for your post.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 07:41
Registered Member

Stats: 232.5/195/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 52%

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this post. I think I will be reading it everyday for inspiration and to start my day off the way it should be started. What a great way to think!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banting
Hi there,
Could you perhaps substitute something else for the sweets and other carbs when you are tempted to slip off your diet? Is there some low carb food that you really like? For example I love cheese, especially cheddar. Perhaps you could go for a thumb-sized piece of cheddar or a celery stick with peanut butter or a few olives or a few nuts or seeds. Or a chunk of steak? Or a soy isolate protein drink flavoured with artificial sweetener? I'm veggie, so the steak is not an option for me but you have a wide range of meat and fish available to you too if you are a carnivore! Make sure there are a few good options for those moments of temptation in your fridge. Another even better option is to take the dog for a walk - take my dog if you like!

You're right, I have to have some go-to foods again. When I started out, I made a list of emergency foods that I could have: almond butter, shredd mozz cheese, salami, nuts (Since my metabolism doesn't hate me yet, I can have a fair amount of nuts and still lose).

I think of any drink with artificial sweetener as poison and am not bothered by drinking lime-flavored seltzer water. But on the other hand, I don't hesitate to put splenda in some high-fat greek yogurt.

I've been going through a book called "Radical Acceptance" by a psychotherapist Tara Brach. I'm a little over halfway through it and it will set at the top of my bookshelf from now on. That's not an easy feat for any book! I would like to apply the techniques from her book as a tool where I can 1.) step back when I'm stressed and angry, 2.) feel the body sensations, 3.) really examine how I "want" to react to the way I'm feeling. I know, I know. It is SO much easier said than done and I'll probably stumble a million times, but that is practice and it is essential.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 15:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
I've been going through a book called "Radical Acceptance" by a psychotherapist Tara Brach. I'm a little over halfway through it and it will set at the top of my bookshelf from now on. That's not an easy feat for any book! I would like to apply the techniques from her book as a tool where I can 1.) step back when I'm stressed and angry, 2.) feel the body sensations, 3.) really examine how I "want" to react to the way I'm feeling. I know, I know. It is SO much easier said than done and I'll probably stumble a million times, but that is practice and it is essential.

Every day is practice; we practice what we are supposed to do

That sounds like a wonderful book and I'll go looking for it soon. We create our own barriers reacting to what isn't so.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 22:52

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Wonderful post. It says it all! I also had been thru the oh well its the holidays, or like this year - I wasn't going to bake but now I'm broke and it's the easiest thing for me to do...rushed, little sleep, etc because like many - I waited too long and did everything last minute. And I caved. Then it was New Years and the first time I'd been out on NYE for years - ! I realized that it is ALWAYS going to be something...there is always a food holiday, somebody's special occasion, and people shoving stuff at you at work. It never stops!
Kat
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 15:30

Quote:
Every day is practice; we practice what we are supposed to do

That sounds like a wonderful book and I'll go looking for it soon. We create our own barriers reacting to what isn't so.

I assure you, this book will not disappoint :-). The thing I like most about it is that even though she has an approached based on Buddhism, the techniques can be useful for anyone of any religious background or lack thereof. So far, it has been a joy reading through her personal experiences, as well as those of the people she's helped.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 12:44

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Remember, food is satisfying, nourishing, and stops hunger. Our FoodDrugs don't do that; they make us crave more, eat more, and increase our hunger. They aren't just empty calories; they can actually block our body from absorbing or using nutrients. They actively degrade our health.

Great post. Great point. Thanks for sharing!!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 19:01

Stats: 242/233/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

This is exactly what I needed to hear at the exact time I needed to hear it...many thanks!