Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 19:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Those old fashioned crank grinders work great. We used one for years to grind up deer meat. If you want the meat to stick together well you can buy a highfat filler from your butcher but you don,t have to add the filler. The downside to the handcrank grinders is they have to attach to a table our counter so If you have a large lip or fancy edge they won,t attach well.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 20:07

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

My mother has a meat grinder attachment for her Kitchenaid mixer.

looks like this:

#48   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 20:11

Stats: 180/169.6/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'll bet that vienna sausages and some hot dogs also have a lot of pink slime in them.

I switched to Nathan's or Hebrew International hot dogs because they are supposed to be made from kosher meat. That way I know I'm not getting any pig snouts or pink slime in them, at least.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 21:17

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 308/282/165 Female 5'9"
BF:...whatever!
Progress: 18%

un-wholly cow!!!!

I love vienna sausages, (yes, that's my dirty little secret!) but you're right, they have GOT to be full of the odd ear, snout, or other such protrusion.......

will be giving them up. Local grocery store also has bottom round roasts- buy 1 get 1 free!!
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 00:45

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
yarralea,

Don't know about the use of "pink slime," but the Australian meat processors have been known to use "meat glue" to disguise low-quality meats as higher-quality cuts.

Oh meat glue, that's okay the doctor has been telling us to eat 6-8 glasses of meat glue per day.

Will be checking out that link, I just needed to add a chuckle
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 10:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They use the meat-glue here too. I'm not sure how pervasive it is, but I know they use it in some restaurants to make "fancy cuts" from bits and pieces of meat.

*sigh*
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 10:19
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esam
I love vienna sausages, (yes, that's my dirty little secret!) but you're right, they have GOT to be full of the odd ear, snout, or other such protrusion.......

I don't think there's anything wrong with eating an animal from tip to tail. It's what humans always did in the past. It is much less wasteful and all those bits, well, most of them, are edible, nutritious and tasty. I'd be far more concerned about the processing they do to turn them into something that looks like what most fussy consumers think is the only edible part: muscle meat.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 12:11

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 280/166/167 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%

i have no issue with tip to tail either and i'm not even close to carnivore or paleo. i do come from a family history of farmers, however. you don't let things go to waste. the issue really is the abhorent slaughtering, handling and processing practices in this country.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 12:34

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

I tried the tip to tail eating and couldn't wrap my brain around it. I think it was the pigs ears that I couldn't get right.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 13:47

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Yeah, i honestly would try probably any part sauteed up in some butter. Lips, eyelids, and all.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 17:21

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

The pink slime grosses me out too, but they aren't soaking the meat in ammonia, they are using a gas to treat it. So maybe it's safer than we want to believe.

I remember when I worked at an ice cream store when I was a teenager and we cleaned the ice cream machine with clorox water. I thought that was really gross, too, but I guess until morning the clorox had all dissapated and wasn't a threat but it did kill all bacteria. Maybe that is what happens to the slime. Not that I want to eat it either, but it may not be all that harmful.

But I did see a video of a man using "meat glue" to make chunks of lesser grade beef into filet mignon. He said that even most butchers would have trouble seeing that it wasn't what it was sold as. The meat glue that he used was a white powder and he said it was so toxic that he had to wear gloves when handling the meat with it on it. Now, that is really scary to me. So I don't want to buy steaks of any kind from Australia or China.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 07:25

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

I bought a chuck steak yesterday, had the butcher grind it for me. Grilled burgers outside til med-rare. It was good, but I think I'm used to a more fatty burger! Too lean for me! I love burgers, even without the bun now, so I guess I'll keep experimenting with whole cuts, freshly ground.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 09:59
Experimenter

BF:

Alton Brown recommends a mix of chuck and sirlon. The chuck will have the fat you're missing.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-12, 10:02
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
Yeah, i honestly would try probably any part sauteed up in some butter. Lips, eyelids, and all.

Those would probably go into sausages. Or be fed to the hogs, dogs or what have you.

Tongue, heart, brains, liver, kidneys, many of the glands, those used to be prized for deliciousness. They're starting to make a come back in fine dining.

Pig ears I saw used in an episode of Top Chef.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 07:07

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

the first ingredient on a package of mexican style chorizo was ... lung. the second was lymph node. i wish i hadn't read that. i used to like chorizo...