Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-12, 23:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/OKL
Stats: 193/173.2/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Good to hear from you, nannipatti!
I think I know what you mean by it doesn't seem possible (being our age). When I say I'm 75, it almost feels like I'm talking about someone else, I can't be that old.
You may know more than I. This time since summer is the first time I've tried low carb eating.
Anyhow, just wanted to say Hi before going to sleep. More later.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 12:44

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Nannipatti---I'm on the 60's thread and I can be here, too. I'll be 72 in August. I think that I'll live to be 95 and I don't want to have a fat problem my whole darn life. I'm trying really hard for the 1715th time to get this weight off.
I almost bought some rice crackers and cream cheese to have as a snack but it's a bad road that I take when I start eating a snack with cheese or with a cracker so I left it in the store for someone else to get fat on.
Breakast was 2 fried eggs---1 sl bacon---1 low carb Mission tortilla. Tasted real good, too.
No exercise today. I made it 6 days last week and I'm taking the day off. I think a lolt of people our age give up on getting in shape. They hurt, take pills, they're stiff and sore sometime from small amts. of activity so they just sit around and get fat and sicker and it's a vicious cycle. We're going to keep on keeping on and we're gonna feel better. As long as we're gonna live we might as well feel better, don't you think?? myrt
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 13:25

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 150/145/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Myrt and Lou its good to hear from both of you, I think so far I am the oldest but what the heck as long as I'm moving.
I bought Jane Fonda"s exercize video and its quite good, you can pace yourself and do as much or as little as you can. I usually ride my stationery bike but haven't been doing that as its on the deck and its cold out there but that doesn't seem to stop my husband from riding it every morning before he walks our spoiled dog. My favorite exercize is working out in the pool which I do in the summertime at our local pool, its easy and relaxing, I used to do it faithfully at the gym but I let my membership lapse, might think about renewing it after the summer is over, but somehow when the weather is bad its hard to get dressed and get going.
Just made a crock of baked beans for the bike rider which of course is off limits for me unless I was using the glycemic index.
which I'm not, I have some pricey canned crab I bought so I'll do something with that.
Nice meeting you ladies.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 16:28

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

Myrt- I eat cream cheese. I like to roll up thin sliced ham or turkey and a hunk of cream cheese. Sometimes I wrap it all around a baby dill pickle. Or I add a chunk of cheddar cheese in the center.

Nanni- Sounds like you're in better shape than me. I keep on trying.

I live in hope. I want to look good in my coffin. Lol.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 18:39

BF:

Chanteyl---I'm glad you can eat cream cheese but I'm a recovering alcoholic and some foods affect me the same as beer or hard liquor. Once I get started with cream cheese I lose control and eat too much---just like liquor. With crackers I have the same problem so I'm leaving them alone for awhile.
I have control over popcorn if I don't eat it every day so I eat it occasionally. I'm doing lower carb but not low carb i.e. Atkins.

I went to the swim pool today and did my PT exercises and went back and forth a few times on my noodle. Now that I've been exercising more times a week I'm feeling better and I'm not so stiff and I have less pain. It's just like they say, "Exercise makes us feel younger." myrt
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 16:39
Registered Member

BF:

Chanteyl...Good to hear from you again. Love your sense of humor!

nannipatti...According to my native Kansan DH, Cimarron is west of Dodge City, which is quite a way west. We were wondering whether your granddaughters have anything to do with the WindFarms out there. Which Jane Fonda tape do you exercise to? Used to have one when in my 30's, but there's no way I could keep up to that now.

myrt...You are doing so very well in your exercising. It's inspiring me to get back to my weight exercises. I do all my exercising at home except for the chair yoga. And sounds as if you are keeping the snacking under control. That's always been a problem to me, also.

Had a great weigh-in at TOPS Monday--down 1.75#. That's the one I count. Our scale at home varies by several pounds depending on which way you lean. (It's lower because of no clothes and no breakfast, though).
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 19:53

I have been rewarding myself for losing weight. One reward will be purple contacts. I was supprised at the reasonable cost, but they don't last that long.

My first reward was a perm. DH has been giving me looks. I think he is wondering what I'm up to. Lol, I love it. Wait til he sees me with purple eyes. We are not speaking, I forgot why. Anyway he won't ask and I won't volunteer.

I have been checking out the internet for cosmetic tattoos and surgeries. It's got to be a reward to improve (hopefully) my looks in some way. I can't seem to lose the weight to improve my health. I have Diabetes and blood pressure and Dr is on my case to lose weight and exercise.

Last edited by Chanteyl : Tue, Mar-27-12 at 20:07.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-12, 21:41

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 150/145/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 17%
Thumbs down

Wow Chanteyl! purple contacts thats the look that Liz Taylor used to have, well violet anyway, good luck to you I say.
I'm getting the perm cause its just too much trouble to use that cotten picken curling iron than stepping outside to have the wind rain or whatever undo everything I worked at. I was trying to avoid the old lady perm look but I am about to give in again.
I think your dh will definitely start speaking to you with purple contacts how could he not? LOL

Hi Lou, nope to working on the wind farms but my granddaughters husband is working long hours on a farm.
I remember those Jane Fonda tapes, that was in the "feel the burn" days. this is a recent one and its called Firm and Burn I guess she had to get that burn in, but its 3 low impact aerobic workouts with a nice bonus meditation that I wish I would take the time to do. So far I've only did the warmup and the first class I think its called DeWop and thats about as much as i do, its mostly dancing in place nothing streneous and if I get tired i just march in place to get the heart beat going. I keep it in the extra bedroom so I can do it without my dh looking on and thinking its funny to see me stagger all over the place. Haven't did it today and I'm wondering if I have the energy to do just a little bit before bed. Maybe not.

Last edited by nannipatti : Wed, Mar-28-12 at 22:01.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 19:20

BF:

Chantyl---If I have a good weight loss tomorrow morning I'm going to get my hair colored. We decided I'm going to do low lights followed by highlights the next month. I think purple contacts will be fantastic As far as cosmetic surgery I want to get my neck lifted when I get to my goal. It jiggles and looks awful.

I made my short term goal on the recumbant bike Saturday---30 mins and I burned 100 calories!!!! I'm so happy The first time I went in the gym the end of Feb. I did 5 mins on Schwin Aerodyne and 5 mins on recumbant bike and thought I would die. I feel so much better and as young as I did back in the middle 90's.

Lou---congratulations on 1 3/4# off. That's so terrific . How did you fix your canned crab the other day?? I eat canned fish, too.
I made a Honeysuckle boneless turkey breast for supper with celery and carrots and it sure was good but awful salty. One of our local grocery stores has fresh turkey breast and I'm baking that next time so it won't have so much salt.. See ya later, myrt

Last edited by myrt4930 : Sun, Apr-01-12 at 19:25.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 03:42
Registered Member

BF:

myrt..I think that was nannipatti with the canned crab. I like it, too, but not DH. He'll eat fish, but not shellfish.
That's wonderful the way you've improved in your exercise in just one month!!!

nannipatti..thanks for the DVD reference. It's a good price on amazon and will be nice to have a change of pace. Also thinking about it for a friend who has serious bone issues and needs some exercise, but not too strenuous.

Chanteyl..Hope you win your purple contacts. What do you do for exercise?

May not weigh in tomorrow. Since our car needs to be taken in to the shop. Good luck with your weigh-in, myrt!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 09:44

Woopie! I lost another lb. and I get some permanet hair removal. I get a reward for every other lb. Not sure what type I can find around here. I live in the boonies. We used to have electrolysis. I would like to try the laser but I hear it doesn't work so good on light colored hair. Doing a little victory dance, here.

I'm a little embarrassed to call what I do exercise. I walk my dog. I'm in really bad shape. I also have a stationary bike. I would like to try a real bike because of the price of gas.

Really love the idea of hi and lo lites in hair color.

I have a Jane Fonda tape with really nice music maybe I'll look for it.

This is really working, my insullin needs are going down already.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 19:47

BF:

Chanteyl---Hope you can find a place to get the hair removal stuff done. I've never heard of lazer for that.

I just love my hair and I think it brings a lot of life into the look of my face. I don't look so dreary but W seemed to have the attitude of take it or leave it girl, whatever you want. I'll be washing it tomorrow and wonder how it will do. I don't know if it will fade or stay the same.

Any kind of exercise is good. At least we're moving and don't have our heads stuck in the fridge. Have a good day , myrt
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 13:25

I keep wandering out to the kitchen late at night, staring into the fridge. It's like I think something yummy may have magically appeared in there, since dinner time. I now turn it into a small walk into the living room and dining room. I do this and I'm not even hungry.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 20:25

BF:

Chanteyl---I don't have trouble with eating during the night but I have trouble with eating after supper but somehow I've improved a great deal. Sometimes I eat one extra thing but I don't go on a binge. My husband goes on binges. I call him "W" on line. He has his own problems with food and his own reasons and I do my best to not pay attention and just concentrate on keeping my own side of the street clean. Things are going well today except I hurt the arches of my feet stretching over the top of the freezer and cleaning out the bottom of it. Glad that job is done but afterwards I went to 2 grocery stores and hurt my feet some more. I may have to skip exercise tomorrow. Will wait and see how my feet are. Have a great day tomorrow girls, myrt
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 18:59

BF:

We got good/bad news last Wednesday. Our roof on our RV is suffering from the oak trees---all the stuff that litters the roof--- so we're going to move to a different RV park in the area. We won't have quite as much shade and it's different trees which is good. I'll still be very close to the swim pool/rec center so we won't be burning any more gas due to the move. The new place has organized activities we can depend upon and potlucks which I think would be fun. We're going to move about April 25th. Went on the bike today for 3.1 miles and did a little in the pool but was short of time due to a doc appt.

Easter was quiet and I fixed roast duck. It was delicious. Hope you'all had a happy Easter!!

I'm down to 167.2# and I'm starting to feel the changes. Woohooo!!!