Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 21:37

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 240/186/176 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 84%

You are welcome Bellanina. I have done a part leptin reset, only part bacause we travelled in the middle of it. Its a hard juggle when you are away from home. Having said that I think it has been helpful, the biggest lesson I learnt is not to snack, theres no reason to. If you are hungry before your next meal, it means you are not eating enough...simple really. And I did have a bit of a whoosh in weight loss,(which was great!!!) I am only 8 kgs from goal (have lost 22kgs) so weight loss has slowed right down. Anyway good luck and keep us posted
Cheers from New Zealand
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 23:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/148/120 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress:

Hi bellanina..i can identify with you. I spent two months on atkins induction without losing anything. Just gaining and losing the same couple of pounds. Frustrating as hell. Now i have started stillmans diet and I intend to stay on it till I see some major changes and then i go back to atkins. On stillmans I have already lost two pounds in two days which never came off in atkins. So that should be motivation enough for me to stick to stillmans (I hope)
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 02:44

Plan: Cambridge diet
Stats: 275/220/155 Female 158cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Bellanina

I really hope this works for you - I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be, I get moody when the scales don't move for a week or so, but i'm so impressed with you sticking to it - I too have fallen off the wagon (only back on it a week) and I agree with you that it's not worth it, we're just not suited to sugar and wheat etc.

Are you plugging everything into a site like FITDAY or MYPLAN? These were a real eye opener for me.

Best of luck
Wildeone x
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-12, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanina
But once we're there it's as easy or difficult as I choose. I can prepare meals, and choose and manage what goes in my mouth. The biggest challenge for me when visiting is alcohol. But even when I do drink it's either a glass of wine with dinner, or vodka, club soda, and lime at a gathering.

YMMV, of course, but alcohol impairs my judgement and willpower, if I'm around carby and tempting food it can lead to derailment. So, I would say if that happens to you, don't drink. Have a glass of soda instead. If you feel socially awkward, just pretend there's something else in it. Personally I feel that one shouldn't have to explain their choice not to drink.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-12, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 317/262.6/175 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thank you so much for all your support guys. I just wanted to mention that I am plugging everything into fatsecret.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 21:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Hi. Just stumbled upon this site with stalls and all and just wanted to say I understand your frustration.
You know, for a few years, after years of dieting and yo yoing, I gave up on diets. I ate anything I wanted but cut the portions.

Lost 75 lbs over three years. But then developed Diabetes II. A year of following "their" diet and it didn't work which led me to Atkins.

I have lost another 14 lbs in 10 months but man it has been slow. Health has certainly improved and feel great but stall after stall has plagued me.

It's very frustrating. But keeping with the program. I have figured out that I do need lower calories to lose anything. Just haven't done it for the last couple of months. But not off program, just too many "good" carbs.

So frustrating......

hang in there
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 06:23

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

I'm sorry but I have to point out the obvious. You have done this over and over and you are not getting the results you need. I'm shocked that someone actually thinks it could possibly be because you were counting net carbs vs. total carbs. At your weight, with the right plan, the weight should come off fairly quickly at first then will slow as you get to a more normal weight. What you are doing hasn't worked, so it's time to try something else. As to what that is, I can't tell you that but I'm baffled as to why you are so faithful to a Atkins style of eating when it hasn't worked.

Btw: Atkins didn't work for me neither.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 07:11

Stats: 196/176/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I have two suggestions that worked for me:

1. Try upping your fat intake to a point where you're eating foods that are at least 2-1 ratio of fat to protein. Mayonnaise, dressings with olive oil and peanut butter come to mind (I like to have a spoonful of peanut butter occasionally). I know some people count calories. I don't. I eat until I'm full and don't eat again until I'm hungry. This is important because if you're like me, you have this urge to eat even when you are not hungry. I find that if I'm eating the correct foods, my body will tell when to eat.

2. For someone who is struggling with weight issues, exercising can be a pain. It's easy to exercise once you've lost weight but not beforehand. If you can, try this exercise. It's called peak8 exercise. Take a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NmNS75w9hI
If you can access to a recumbent bike, it's the easiest way to do this. The beauty of this exercise is that it doesn't take very long to do. If done properly, your body will be put into a fat burning mode for a couple of hours. I've successfully used this exercise to break out of stalls. Make sure you don't eat right after doing this.

I hope this helps.

Pat
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 18:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Bambi. I have actually backed down the calories a little bit and that does seem to have helped.

I guess I need to make it clear that this DOES WORK for me (LAWoman) it's just slow as hell. Which is sort of what we want right? The slower it comes off, the easier it will be to maintain right? You're right, at my weight it should be falling off, but it's not. I am honestly think I have a cavewoman's stomach in a modern body. I would have been one hell of a hot commodity in Paleo times!

And just out of curiosity, LA, do you really think I haven't tried other things? You name it, I've done it... outside of surgery. I was eating 1100 cals of low GI, jumping rope, and running daily at one point (at around 300lbs) because like I said, no one wants it more than me. And I'm willing to put in the work, it's just frustrating as hell with things aren't going as they "should". They just don't for me.

Thank you for the suggestions, Poanf. Interestingly enough, one of my favorite "snacks" is a spoon with half butter, and half peanut butter and I just have little nibbles at a time, and sort of let them melt together. MMm MMM! LOL I am also working on my exercise. I'm trying to walk for a half hour every second day on the treadmill, doing body weight exercises (push ups, calf raises, planks) a couple times a week, and fitting in an aquafit class where I can.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 21:05

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellanina
Thanks, Bambi. I have actually backed down the calories a little bit and that does seem to have helped.

I guess I need to make it clear that this DOES WORK for me (LAWoman) it's just slow as hell. Which is sort of what we want right? The slower it comes off, the easier it will be to maintain right? You're right, at my weight it should be falling off, but it's not. I am honestly think I have a cavewoman's stomach in a modern body. I would have been one hell of a hot commodity in Paleo times!

And just out of curiosity, LA, do you really think I haven't tried other things? You name it, I've done it... outside of surgery. I was eating 1100 cals of low GI, jumping rope, and running daily at one point (at around 300lbs) because like I said, no one wants it more than me. And I'm willing to put in the work, it's just frustrating as hell with things aren't going as they "should". They just don't for me.

Thank you for the suggestions, Poanf. Interestingly enough, one of my favorite "snacks" is a spoon with half butter, and half peanut butter and I just have little nibbles at a time, and sort of let them melt together. MMm MMM! LOL I am also working on my exercise. I'm trying to walk for a half hour every second day on the treadmill, doing body weight exercises (push ups, calf raises, planks) a couple times a week, and fitting in an aquafit class where I can.

Then keep doing exactly what you're doing.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-12, 09:35

Stats: 236/160/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

I might have given this up because of the stalls if I had not had such good health results. That is why I won't change this way of eating no matter how slow.

Blood pressure down 30 points, fasting blood sugars down over 100 points, A1c down to normal ranges, cholesterol down 80 points.

As frustrating as this can be, I never had such good results with any other program. The low fat/high carb diets gave me Diabetes II, High blood pressure, and high cholesterol.

It is not a hard decision.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 13:44

Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

Just wanting to follow you bc I'm getting so frustrated. No real loss since November. YUGH!! Trying to convince myself it's still worth it. I am too carb sensitive to do anything other than Atkins.

Donna
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 20:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Donna, do you do any intermittent fasting? I've lost 10lbs since Feb. 26th... and as you might have guessed, I don't usually lose this quickly. The only change has been IFing.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 21:20

No, I've heard about it, but I haven't studied it. Not sure how to do it?

Donna
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 22:27

Quote:
I might have given this up because of the stalls if I had not had such good health results. That is why I won't change this way of eating no matter how slow.

Blood pressure down 30 points, fasting blood sugars down over 100 points, A1c down to normal ranges, cholesterol down 80 points.

As frustrating as this can be, I never had such good results with any other program. The low fat/high carb diets gave me Diabetes II, High blood pressure, and high cholesterol.

It is not a hard decision.

This is the only reason I can't give up. I've had so many improvement in my health since doing Atkins. Wouldn't be worth putting all the weight back on. Just hope I'm not stuck here forever.

Donna