Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 18:36
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%
Default Chicken Parmesan

Tried this tonight and it was EXCELLENT! You could even serve over pasta for the carb eaters. I didn't miss the pasta at all!

Chicken breasts
Pork Rinds
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese (I used the grated kind with no added fillers)
Mayonnaise
Low carb (or lowest carb count you can find) marinara sauce
Shredded cheese of choice (I used an Italian blend)

Crush the pork rinds/seasoning/grated parmesan together. Dredge the chicken through the mayonnaise and then dredge through the pork rinds mixture.

Bake the "breaded" chicken breasts on a greased baking sheet with a little oil added for about 20 minutes at 375 until lightly browned. Transfer to a greased baking dish, top with the marinara and shredded cheese, and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes until bubbly.

The pork rind mixture really seemed like breading to me. It held together nicely with baking the breasts in the oven first. The marinara sauce I used had 3 net carbs per half cup (which is the amount I used for the recipe). I used 3 chicken breast halves, so maybe 2 total net carbs per piece with the added cheeses?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 19:04

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

What are the amount for each item,please?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 07:54
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

I'm terrible at measuring! I'll guestimate, though. I used 3 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I thought about this last night - if you use chicken with the bone in, the cooking time probably needs to be increased to about 30 minutes for the chicken part before adding the sauce/cheese. The Italian seasoning was about 1 TBSP. I did measure the marinara because it had the most carbs - 1/2 cup. The Parmesan cheese was probably 2 TBSP or so. I used about a half bag of pork rinds and crushed them in my food processor. The Italian/mozzarella shredded cheese blend was probably about 1/4 cup.

Hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 06:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

This sounds absolutely great! I am definitely going to try this. I think I will either slice the chicken and fill it with butter, to make chicken kiev, or I will serve it with a creamy, garlicy vegetable dish, rather than marinara sauce and cheese, but it will be delicious.

Thanks for sharing.