Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-12, 20:21
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Beer-Braised Beef Shanks with Leeks

Beer-Braised Beef Shanks with Leeks

I fix this recipe often, sometimes with shanks, sometimes short ribs, and sometimes with trimmed chunks of chuck roast. It's always good and virtually cooks itself! I prefer leeks less cooked, but my husband likes his WELL cooked. But you can wait and add the leeks to the pot whenever you're ready to achieve the doneness you prefer.

Bought my first beef shanks in a very long time this week. They were too pretty and lean to pass up! I like to braise them in beer or wine as a rule. This is one of my all-time favorite braised beef recipes and ever so simple. cooks itself really, after searing the meat. This dish is equally good made with large pieces of chuck roast or with beef short ribs, if you can’t get shanks. The carbs are coming from the leeks but they are really good with this meat. This dish is Induction friendly and offers an incredible nutrient analysis. I served mine with buttered, steamed carrots and my Seeded Dinner Rolls: Seeded Dinner Rolls http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2012/0...d-dinner-rolls/ . My husband likes his leeks stewed to “death”, as they appear in the photo. But I would recommend if you like yours less “dead” (as do I), wait to add them to the pot after the meat has simmered for the first hour hour. I thicken my broth with xanthan gum, but you can use whatever thickener is acceptable for your eating plan.

INGREDIENTS:

29-30 oz. lean, cross-cut beef shanks (about 1 3/4 lb. raw, bone in)
1 T. coconut oil
2 oz. yellow onion, sliced
1 leek, cleaned and chopped into 2″ pieces
7 oz. large mushrooms, wiped clean
12 oz. low-carb beer (I used Michelob Ultra at 2.6 carbs per bottle)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1½ c. rich beef broth
about 1 c. water (enough to cover meat)
thickener of your choice (I used about ¼ tsp. xanthan gum dusted in)

DIRECTIONS: Cut root tip and top 1″of green part off the leek. Slice it lengthwise and wash carefully with water between layers to get all “hiding” dirt out. Cut into 2″ pieces and set aside. Wipe mushrooms clean with a dry cloth, cut huge ones in half, leave others whole. Set aside. Heat a large dutch oven or stew pot until nearly smoking and add coconut oil. Sear the pieces of meat on high flame until they are well browned on each side. Add yellow onion, broth, beer, water thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and lower heat to slow simmer. Simmer 1 hour. Add mushrooms and leeks, lightly stirring them into the broth. Cover again and simmer for about 30 more minutes or until meat is very tender. Serve with your favorite low-carb bread or dinner rolls and a salad or another vegetable if you prefer. ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

310 calories
10.4 g fat
7.55 g carbs, 1.33 g fiber, 6.22 g NET CARBS
40.2 g protein
450 mg sodium
932 mg potassium
64% RDA Vitamin B6, 240% B12, 36% copper, 62% iron, 88% niacin, 60% phosphorous, 55% riboflavin, 66% selenium and 152% zinc

Last edited by Buttoni : Thu, Feb-02-12 at 08:26.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 08:27
Patience Personified

I just added 3 cloves minced garlic to my recipe above I inadvertently left out. If you printed this out last night already, please make a note of this ingredient addition.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 09:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Peggy!
I finally decided it was time I posted over here, and stop lurking.
Hope you are doing well. This looks yummy, but my cooking still remains rather simple & basic. Until I hit goal, and I am getting close but slowly, I will dream of making your recipes though Skillet Pizza is still a favorite lunch. All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 10:06

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Wow - that looks so good Peggy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-12, 15:46
Patience Personified

Why thank you, Lizzy. If you try this, you won't regret it. REALLY good!

Well, HELLO Miss Janet! How nice to "SEE" you here! I'm so glad to hear you're approaching goal weight, my dear! You've done so well on your weight loss journey! Glad you decided to start posting here on low-carber forums!

I've lost 5-6# since we spoke last, even having slipped back into regular Atkins and not the 1972 version for awhile during the holidays. But losing that 5# has got me primed to go back to the real clean 1972 version for awhile again. Start of the new year's resolution syndrome, you know. Trying to just eat meats, veggies, good fats and keep my carbs to 20-25 a day. We'll see what develops.

I've taken a peek at the Atkins forums a couple times lately, but really don't care for the new software/format on the forums. Seems very awkward and difficult to navigate. Doubt I'll be going back there.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 08:51

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

Hi Peggy!
Another Janet rerporting in! Recipe looks heavenly!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 11:10
Patience Personified

HI, JAN, and WELCOME to Active Low Carber forums! Fancy meetin' you here?! Glad you decided to join, girlfriend! Your wealth of Atkins/low-carb knowledge will fit right in here. Lots of knowledgeable and well-informed people here. A very supportive group, this. All diets are welcomed and accepted without judgement. You'll especially love the LC Research forums discussions!

This beef shank recipe is so easy and one I fix often with various cuts of beef. It's even better made with dark beers, but I haven't found a low-carb dark beer to date, so I use the lowest carb beer I can find now for cooking. Sometimes I sub in a good white wine for the beer, which is another good dish in its own right.

To my fellow ALC forum members, this new member will be a definite asset here. She's a wealth of information on Atkins specifically and low-carbing in general and her somewhat difficult Atkins journey is even featured in the latest A New Atkins For a New You book! I hope you will join me in welcoming her and Jey100 (both Jan's) to Low Carber Forums. They both bring much knowledge to the low-carb table (pardon the pun )
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 12:16

Thank you for the warm welcome, Peggy! I've got this recipe printed out and will check with my Amish farmer (and as 2nd choice, the grocery store) for those beef shanks.

It is lovely to "see" you again. You've always been such a contribution to my living low carb -- that is in addition to being such a lovely lady!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 13:44
Patience Personified

Janet, your latest avatar pic really shows off all your weight loss! You're looking "sveldt" as my husband always says. Keep up the good work! You're almost to your goal now! WOO HOO!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 14:42

Thanks, Peggy-
I got to my goal in 2009, but now have set another one - don't know if it is unrealistic or not but if I make it it will represent a 70 pound loss. I'm cutting carbs further right now ... we'll see!

Love your little train -- you are close, too!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 18:55
Patience Personified

I'm sure if anyone can set and reach a new goal, it's you, Jan. You always do whatever is needed to get to goal.

Last edited by Buttoni : Tue, Feb-07-12 at 19:09.