Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-12, 06:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Newbie Tip #2: More Water

Yes, I am encouraging all of us to drink more. Water, that is. Why is there such emphasis on drinking water when we low carb? Simple. It helps us lose weight.

Why is that? Funnily enough... no one knows for sure. As outlined in this blog post from Dr. Michael Eades, of Protein Power fame, there are lots of studies in the literature indicating that proper water intake helps humans burn fat. His theory is that proper hydration dilutes our blood volume, which in turn lowers the concentration of insulin in our blood. This releases fat from our cells.

I find that a compelling line of reasoning. My own thoughts are that we need water to perform the conversion of body fat into stuff we burn for energy; without adequate water, these vital processes can't happen. Either way it leads to a lovely image; every swig liberates a few fat cells. Bottoms up!

But as in all things, there's a right way and a wrong way. Here's some tips:

Eye on the electrolytes. Did you know it's possible to overdose on water? We can dilute ourselves too much and mess up all those lovely electro-chemical reactions in our body. While it's unlikely for us to overdo it to such an extent, we can give ourselves puffy legs, headaches, muscle cramps, and dizziness, anytime we upset our balance. Getting the right amounts of sodium, potassium, and magnesium will help our body stay balanced.

The salt/kelp substitution. I no longer use iodized salt. I switched to sea salt, and kelp tablets. If we are not salt sensitive (and only 25% of the population, WITH high blood pressure, are) this is hard to mess up.

Sea salt and kelp tablets have lots of lovely trace minerals. This is especially important because a lot of our produce is grown in depleted soils. Manufactured fertilizers have a built-in disadvantage; we can't put in what we don't know is missing.

Kelp provides the iodine missing from the sea salt. If we have thyroid issues, especially if it's Hashimoto's, iodine can be problematical. But if we don't, it keeps our thyroid in shape. If we don't eat seafood very often, kelp is important.

Why was salt iodized in the first place? We had goiter epidemics in the inland United States: it was hard, back when, to get enough fish and seafood if we didn't live close to the ocean. Iodized salt was the cheap and effective way to supply this nutrient to the population, but there are better ways.

Per Dr. Eades:

Quote:
Increasing sodium is just another one of the many counter-intuitive things about low-carb dieting. Just like eating more fat to lower your cholesterol. You’ve got to start thinking differently. The low-carb diet is one that absolutely requires more sodium. A lot more sodium.

Potassium - but not bananas. If we keep our sodium balance correct, we keep our potassium. We can also get it from low-sodium salt, or supplements. Bananas are much too high in sugar to rely upon; and they aren't even the best source. Avocados, brussel sprouts, and spinach are low carb, high potassium foods.

Magnesium - the "sparkly" mineral. There are over 300 known chemical reactions, vital to the body, which use magnesium.

Dr. Eades says:

Quote:
...most people who are overweight, insulin resistant and/or hypertensive or diabetic are deficient in magnesium. Even people with lipid problems are often magnesium deficient. In fact, even people who don’t seem to have health problems can often be magnesium deficient because most people don’t get enough. The last I read on the subject, about 70 percent of people don’t even get the minimum recommended daily intake of magnesium (which isn’t all that high). So, in my opinion, it’s important to supplement this vital mineral. Good magnesium levels help regulate potassium as well, so keeping your magnesium adequate helps with your potassium as well.

This state of affairs came about because chemical fertilizers don't put magnesium back into the soil; and we no longer rely on natural, mineral-laden, water sources. By the time our water reaches us, it's safe... and lacks magnesium.

I was sensitive to the type of magnesium I supplement with; you might be, too! Explore my magnesium supplementation thread for more information.

I realize this is a long post, but it's also a vital one. To our health, and to our weight loss goals. We often think we have a "sodium" problem if we bloat up after a ham dinner or retain water at the drop of a salty hat. But it might be that we are not balancing our other minerals, like potassium and magnesium. This delicate dance is one our bodies must do; and we must help them. If you are curious about how all this works, be sure to read this blog post for the, you know, skinny.

Next round is on me.

Last edited by WereBear : Sat, Jan-21-12 at 07:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 17:05

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 227/215/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Thanks for the information...I always have found drinking enough of any fluid challenging (I"m not a drinker at all), but especially water is difficult for me. Good info
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 17:11

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

I try do water by the half. About a Half a pint every half hour or so. Which is about 6-8 gulps. It also gives me a reason to get up from my desk at work every 30 minutes & take a trip downstairs to the tap! If I don't drink it, I dont lose & feel bloated!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 17:26

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

I'm a shocker for water hydration. The last few weeks increasing my fat content has increased my water consumption, not sure if that is related, but I have noticed I am thirstier.

I love these Newbie tips. Even though I have been low carbing on and off for ten years and these newbie tips are making me feel I have been missing A LOT!
Thanks!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 17:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Water is crucial for me! I absolutely lose better when I drink a lot.

Thanks for these threads, WereBear. They're so helpful for both information and motivation. Keep 'em coming!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 17:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
I'm a shocker for water hydration. The last few weeks increasing my fat content has increased my water consumption, not sure if that is related, but I have noticed I am thirstier.

Maybe its because I have been taking magnesium?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 18:32

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts
Stats: 240/186/176 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 84%

Thanks Werebear
Its good to read these tips. Its a reminder to all of us, that the simple things are also the crucial things
I think you should keep them coming as well!
Cheers
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 19:45

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I find that when I want to mindlessly eat, it's not really because I'm hungry. It's because I haven't had enough water. So I drink a big glass of water and that seems to help me a lot.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 20:58

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Good information to have, thank you for posting. Apparently i picked the right time to be a newbie with these great posts coming out!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-12, 11:21

Plan: Less than 30 grams a day
Stats: 259/241/155 Female 69 inches
BF:Yes
Progress: 17%

Werebear - Another great tip post!

I definitely lose when I drink enough water and yet even knowing that, I have a hard time getting all the water in that I should be drinking.

A big part of it for me is that with my work environment I can't run to the bathroom every 20 minutes which is what happens when I drink the amount of water I need to be drinking.

I've heard many people say that the body will eventually adjust to all that water and trips to the bathroom will even out but I've personnally never had that happen. Maybe because I haven't been consistent long term with my water intake.

Anyone else have this issue? I find myself planning my water days depending on what I have going on at work. If I know I have a day with meetings, I don't drink the water because it just looks bad when I have to excuse myself 3 times during a meeting to run to the ladies room.

It's very frustrating because I see the difference at the scale when I'm drinking enough water.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-12, 11:26

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I see it this way... drink if you're thirsty. I don't see the point on overdoing it and running to the bathroom every half hour. That is obviously not practical if you're working on, say, a production line or a cashier at a grocery store.

And I'll have to be honest. There are some days where I can't get enough water, other days where I just forget. It's just a process and we should make an effort, but on the other hand, we're only human and should consider our limitations and just try to incorporate healthy changes as best we can.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 00:33
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 242/178.5/145 Female 162cm
BF:

Thanks WereBear - really interesting.
I've been drinking loads of water - 5 or 6 litres.
Feeling a bit weird (almost like the dehydration faintness you talk about).
It is quite warm here and I'm only drinking to thirst.
Wonder if I need to add salt? What do people think?
Caz in Australia
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 04:07

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Are you eating much in the way of processed foods, Caz? If not then you might well Feel better if you to some salt to your foods.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 05:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Caz*
Thanks WereBear - really interesting.
I've been drinking loads of water - 5 or 6 litres.
Feeling a bit weird (almost like the dehydration faintness you talk about).
It is quite warm here and I'm only drinking to thirst.
Wonder if I need to add salt? What do people think?
Caz in Australia

Since this post started I realised that as I was taking magnesium my water intake increased. But then again, it was 40 today in Perth, thirsty work.

5-6 litres does sound like a lot. A lot. But probably what one needs if you live in Cairns or somewhere.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 242/178.5/145 Female 162cm
BF:

Thanks guys.
I'm not eating anything processed at all really, and have never added salt to my foods. (But then again I used to eat enough rubbish to get it all in processed food!)
Think I'll try adding some salt and see how this affects me.