Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 08:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Newbie Tip #1: More Fat

If you've gotten this far... maybe you do have the right stuff!

So many make Low Carbing their New Year's Resolution... for a few days. They don't know about the transition our body makes from burning sugar, to burning fat. They cheat right away because they miss "treats," not understanding that the cravings go away if we don't feed them. But if they hang in this far, they still might be making Newbie Mistake #1: the FEAR of FAT.

FAT is our friend.

Yes, I know WebMD and your own doctor and your friends and your mother and that weight loss show on television all tell you that fat is what made us fat. They tell you they know how we can lose weight. And you've tried and tried and it doesn't work.

Maybe you're like me, and you've started to wonder if they are wrong. They are!

If, like me, you counted calories and avoided fat and exercised like a fiend and nothing good happened; stop doing what doesn't work. I lost sixty pounds without exercising (because of a bad hip.) And I did it by lowering carbs and eating more fat. (And I have the low triglycerides and great blood sugar readings that show this works better than low fat.)

So ignore that advice that never worked. And I mean ignore it all, completely, and reset your head. For decades now nutritional science has been derailed with a wrong theory that never has worked. If it worked, we wouldn't be in the middle of an "obesity epidemic," would we?

After struggling for decades I now have a slim, happy, productive body. And I've kept the weight off for going on eight years now. Others on this board have even more dramatic stories!

So don't fear fat. Add it to every meal. When you are hungry, it means your body needs MORE FAT. I lost and I maintain at 80% fat. (If you aren't tracking, you don't know what you are doing, do you?) Your own percentages may vary, but the biggest mistake everyone makes, starting out low carb, is still listening to bad advice. Don't reach for the skinless chicken breast and the low-fat salad dressing. Don't fry without the right oil and don't run away from butter.

Fat helps your body burn fat. There's your answer.

Eat fat to reduce the "low carb flu"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 08:11

Plan: low carb 30gm-ish
Stats: 196/185.2/145 Female 68
BF:Yes it is!
Progress: 21%

Just saved the bacon drippings from this morning's breakfast. Great for sauteeing my green beans tonight!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 09:11

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusting
Just saved the bacon drippings from this morning's breakfast. Great for sauteeing my green beans tonight!

I have a lovely jar specifically for bacon fat...
Amazing stuff, it is.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 09:39

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

I so agree I know that when I eat the full fat dressings and have my heavy cream in my coffee my scale shows better results the next day and those days are when I'm fuller too!

I am still struggling with the calorie thing thou - should I reduce my calories? But that means watching the fat also - that doesn't make sense!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 10:20

Plan: low carb 30gm-ish
Stats: 196/185.2/145 Female 68
BF:Yes it is!
Progress: 21%

Joylorene, are you tracking your foods? I tend to eat too few calories, not on purpose, but because I just eat to hunger.
I have to add fat in order to up my calories, and not mess up my metabolism, which is already unsteady.
I try to take in about 60% fat, and less than 30 carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 10:45

Plan: paleo with L plates
Stats: 180/162/143 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 49%

After low carbing off and on for close to ten years I am finally getting it! Of course I am guilty off being more off than on, and sadly I am guilty on being a tuna and vitamin tablet zero carb, low fat eater. For a long time.
I am now 6 kilos over the weight I was before I started Atkins ten years ago.
I have bought a tub of coconut oil today and am ready to really banish the low fat eating that I did for the ten years prior to the last ten years.
* must get a copy of the art and the science.....
Any advice anyone wants to gladly kick my way, I'm really to digest it. I didn't worry about fat for much of my low (except when I was on tuna and diet soda with a babybel and a vitamin tablet diet, so I need to become informed about adding additional fat to my diet.
Cheers for this thread, timely for me.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 12:43

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Yes! Eating 70% or more of calories as fat is the way to go. It keeps me buzzing along through the day and I can go for at least 5 hours without eating, and that includes snacking. I used to have to eat at least once every two hours because the carbs were keeping me so hungry.

I lost 30 pounds so far without exercising and eating high fat. I purposely didn't exercise because I wanted to know once and for all if it was possible to lose weight without exercising. Let's face it: during the dead of winter and a month after Jan 1, who feels like de-icing their car and driving to the gym to spend an entire hour on the elliptical all for the sake of losing weight?

Now this year, I would like to do some fun stuff outdoors. I know I'll enjoy it more since I'm not packing on the extra weight.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 12:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
Yes! Eating 70% or more of calories as fat is the way to go. It keeps me buzzing along through the day and I can go for at least 5 hours without eating, and that includes snacking. I used to have to eat at least once every two hours because the carbs were keeping me so hungry.

I lost 30 pounds so far without exercising and eating high fat. I purposely didn't exercise because I wanted to know once and for all if it was possible to lose weight without exercising. Let's face it: during the dead of winter and a month after Jan 1, who feels like de-icing their car and driving to the gym to spend an entire hour on the elliptical all for the sake of losing weight?

Now this year, I would like to do some fun stuff outdoors. I know I'll enjoy it more since I'm not packing on the extra weight.

Great job! where are you getting your fat from? So far I have just been doing the full fat dressings and heavy cream
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
Great job! where are you getting your fat from? So far I have just been doing the full fat dressings and heavy cream

Full confession: I am a butter snacker (see thread in General Low-carb).

When I cook my eggs, I have 4 yolks and 3 egg whites with HWC cooked in butter and bacon grease. I eat salami, cheese, full-fat greek yogurt, and a limited amount of almonds and cashews. I also pour HWC in my coffee. When I eat ribeye steaks, I eat from the outside in. The first thing I go for is the chunks of fat.

I'm contemplating going over to the Russian store and getting some salo (smoked pork fat). That would be a great addition to my fatty diet.

Last night, I made deviled eggs with plenty of mayo. I think I scarfed down 5 eggs in one sitting, lol.

There are so many sources to get fat from because that's the way nature intended us to eat.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 13:37

BF:

Thanks! I totally forgot about deviled eggs Love them - I'll have to make a bunch tonight
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 19:28

BF:

Quote:

So 70 /20/-10 is how you got to look so hot? Not being weird, but seriously, you have my body and I want it back. I might have to stalk your journal to see what that looks like in terms of food amounts and sources.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
So 70 /20/-10 is how you got to look so hot? Not being weird, but seriously, you have my body and I want it back. I might have to stalk your journal to see what that looks like in terms of food amounts and sources.

Yep! I have been thriving off of a high-fat diet for the past year with barely any vegetables. I also drink at least a cup of coffee each morning with heavy cream. I know, I know I should eat more veggies, but my stomach doesn't agree with them a lot of the time.

My upper limit for carbs is 50 grams, but that's when I'm feeling VERY generous like around the holidays or something. My normal level is around 30 grams. Other than that, I stick with real food and avoid shakes, bars, or any other weird foods out there

You can have my body! Just stick with it for a year and you'll be soo surprised.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 23:21

BF:

Quote:
Yep! I have been thriving off of a high-fat diet for the past year with barely any vegetables. I also drink at least a cup of coffee each morning with heavy cream. I know, I know I should eat more veggies, but my stomach doesn't agree with them a lot of the time.

My upper limit for carbs is 50 grams, but that's when I'm feeling VERY generous like around the holidays or something. My normal level is around 30 grams. Other than that, I stick with real food and avoid shakes, bars, or any other weird foods out there

Do your friends spin out with the high fat diet success? Have any of them converted from fat fearers to fat fans?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
Do your friends spin out with the high fat diet success? Have any of them converted from fat fearers to fat fans?

My dad! I definitely converted him.

I think my friends accept my woe, but no one wants to change theirs.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 00:31

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

It's a tricky balance sometimes. I am probably too high in protein compared to fat in the last couple of weeks.

My carbs are always under 20 with no exceptions. Sometimes much lower.