Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 19:22

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I totally agree with you teaser. I'm pretty sure I saw twin studies that showed this. Appetite and metabolism rate are genetically influenced, too, I am sure. And really, everything about the body is. To say otherwise is just foolish.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 00:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/181/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
I totally agree with you teaser. I'm pretty sure I saw twin studies that showed this. Appetite and metabolism rate are genetically influenced, too, I am sure. And really, everything about the body is. To say otherwise is just foolish.

I agree. Uh ya. It's genetics. It's seriously time to leave the conversation when somebody suggests that people are not influenced by their genes.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 00:24
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I do think it is directed at parents, the idea being to make them realize that what THEY are doing is causing their child to suffer. If only kids were not in the audience.

Yeah. As a young parent, I truly understand the value of someone saying "Hey. You really gotta think about how others will perceive your child and how it will negatively affect them if you make certain parenting choices." But in this particular case, what's the strategy here? If a parent says "Okay, by golly, I gotta take action and do something about my child's weight!" how is this ad going to help them make ANY better food choices? There is a real danger in having parents take a wrongheaded approach to managing their child's weight.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityx03
If a parent says "Okay, by golly, I gotta take action and do something about my child's weight!" how is this ad going to help them make ANY better food choices? There is a real danger in having parents take a wrongheaded approach to managing their child's weight.

Let's hope they follow this up with ads about eating well.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 03:13

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Let's hope they follow this up with ads about eating well.

Be careful what you wish for
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 03:37

Eh, MyPlate is probably an improvement. Baby steps.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 10:44
Registered Member

BF:

I just think if a child is already genetically predispositioned to be heavy, and as a result of this campaign, parents make them feel bad about their weight and start restricting calories and buying a bunch of low fat junk, not only are they going in the opposite direction of the obesity solution, they are going to cause a lot of emotional angst around food. Parents who respond to this ad are likely to raise children who hide their food, eat alone for comfort, binge on junk food whenever they have the opportunity... I honestly think the odds are going to be stacked against these children.

And, really, they aren't going to follow up with advice, anyway. By targeting the parents of fat kids with a kid saying "I hate being fat waaah" they are telling the parents "You did this, now stop that! You made your kid fat and it's ruining their life!" It's clear they only think negligence and abuse would result in a fat child.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 12:55

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Yeah... they probably could do some things that would help some kids... but certainly not all kids... by removing soda, candy, sweet desserts and chips/pretzels/junk foods from school cafeterias/vending machines and increasing the amount of phys ed to once daily rather than 2-3 times per week.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 13:14

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I picture a demented circus ringmaster calling to the children "Welcome to the wide world of eating disorders! Please take your seats, you will be here for a very long time or for life for some of you!"
So if these kids needed a push, we can encourage people to add the last remaining ingredients to make an eating disorder. They include, but are not limited to:child abuse (including psychological), social isolation, peer pressure and cultural pressure. Now, there is nothing that gets those stubborn pounds off like a good eating disorder! Eating disorders are on the rise "all over the world". But it is never too late to start, so join the crowd! Get the kiddies involved! (my attempt at sarcasm). This has been brought to you from wikipedia (for the most part) so take it as you will. The sarcasm and lingering bitterness are all my own.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityx03
I just think if a child is already genetically predispositioned to be heavy, and as a result of this campaign, parents make them feel bad about their weight and start restricting calories and buying a bunch of low fat junk, not only are they going in the opposite direction of the obesity solution, they are going to cause a lot of emotional angst around food. Parents who respond to this ad are likely to raise children who hide their food, eat alone for comfort, binge on junk food whenever they have the opportunity... I honestly think the odds are going to be stacked against these children.

And, really, they aren't going to follow up with advice, anyway. By targeting the parents of fat kids with a kid saying "I hate being fat waaah" they are telling the parents "You did this, now stop that! You made your kid fat and it's ruining their life!" It's clear they only think negligence and abuse would result in a fat child.

So, don't give nutritional advice and let them continue they way they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
Yeah... they probably could do some things that would help some kids... but certainly not all kids... by removing soda, candy, sweet desserts and chips/pretzels/junk foods from school cafeterias/vending machines and increasing the amount of phys ed to once daily rather than 2-3 times per week.

That's what I am thinking, too. That and up the veggies/protein.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 08:42

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubySpider
I picture a demented circus ringmaster calling to the children "Welcome to the wide world of eating disorders! Please take your seats, you will be here for a very long time or for life for some of you!"

I've been reading Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis. He makes a compelling argument that wheat is a singular driver of obesity, both because of its action on blood glucose and insulin, and its action on eating behavior. To summarize, it causes us to eat more. If a thing causes us to eat more in spite of all our efforts against it, then isn't this the classical definition of an eating disorder?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 14:41

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
To summarize, it causes us to eat more. If a thing causes us to eat more in spite of all our efforts against it, then isn't this the classical definition of an eating disorder?

I wish I could time travel and find out. I'd put myself on a wheat free diet and see if I could get a different result or have a different life. I think what irritated me about the article in general was: I looked to be in perfect health as a child with perfect weight. I was active in sports and I was also dealing with a eating disorder. I wasn't healthy. I had very unhealthy habits. Being a kid is so challenging, I'd hate to see people who have nothing better to do but figure out how to make it harder. I wish someone took me aside as a kid and said "The numbers on a scale don't tell the whole story. You're focus needs to be about you being the healthiest you that you can be." It's too late to change my childhood. It's too late to change my son's childhood. I am dedicating myself to unlearn my unhealthy ways. I do believe parents have a much better chance to engage a child in this, but the parents have to change themselves as well. The home needs to be healthy and supportive. I'd rather see parents aided in this and not demonized. It can't all be on the school's shoulders. Well, even with that being said, I don't think it would be a bad idea for the school to teach kids stress and anger management.